TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Upcoming Rides, Trips and Events > Ride/Trip Planning Info

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

Suggestions for TAT ride

Ladies & gentlemen, My wife, Daughter & I will ride half the TAT (again!!) this summer, last time we just rode every day (sunup to sunset) to complete the ride and it really wasn't a holiday, just a solid slog to get from one end to the other!! This time we are going to ride up to Oklahoma and then ride the Tat to the east (reverse direction & only half of the TAT) and we estimate we will take 10 days of gentle riding (200 miles a day), however it is meant to be a holiday so we have set 3 days aside to just stop at different places and go sight seeing!! We are not native Americans, moved here from Europe 8 years ago! so don't know much about any of the states we will be driving through, so I wanted to ask for suggestions of places worth visiting and spending a day at in the following states - Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississipi & Tenesee, preferably places not too far from the TAT route!! I would like to spend a day in the Ozarks, but would really appreciate any other suggestions. We will be riding from ~8th June to 22nd June
As stated we have ridden the TAT and many other DS rides, so don't need advise on what to take or where to go (just bought the latest TAT maps from Sam) but would appreciate advise on what to see and any great places worth stopping for a day to really visit.

Regards Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
05 & 06 CRF450X (spares for friends!)
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
BornAgain

Re: Suggestions for TAT ride

If you do the whole of Oklahoma you'll go through Liberal, KS https://www.google.com/maps/place/Do....91043!6m1!1e1 Dorothy's house from the Wizard of Oz is located there.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I don't know exactly where the TAT goes in Arkansas, but there are MANY really cool places in the Ozarks!! I could easily spend 10 days just wandering around there!

Falling Water Falls is of Hwy 16 just a bit East of Hwy 7, at the top of the V shape in 16. It is a neat spot to stop and take a dip. Lots of folks camp there.

Not far North of Oark, you can find the Wilderness Rider Buffalo Ranch OHV Park. It is owned by Wildernessrider here on TWT. GPS coords: N35 57.630 W93 27.349 It has some fantastic primitive camping sites and great riding. You could easily spend a day there riding and exploring.

On Hwy 14 South of Yellville, there are tubing, rafting, and canoeing opportunities on the Buffalo River. There is also the Buffalo River State Park right there on 14. Hwy 14 is paved bliss!

Further East, there is Gunner Pool park and Blanchard Springs Caverns park off Hwy 14 near the town of Fifty Six. Both have really nice camp sites. The dirt riding in the area North of 14 is awesome. I was just out there last week blasting around on my 1200 GS with my oldest daughter and my son. Also, Hwy 341 is pure twisty goodness.

If you find yourself in Mountain View, there is a little BBQ place called Kin Folk BBQ. It was REALLY good. The Apple Pie turnovers are out are heart stopping There are often music related festivals in this town. There were a lot of old folks hanging out under a big Oak tree doing a jam session while we were enjoying our BBQ. They were really good. Hwy 87 between Fifty-Six and Mountain view is even more paved bliss.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
Thrasherg
Forum Supporter

Many thanks Tourmeister, I will definitely look at those locations.

Gary
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
05 & 06 CRF450X (spares for friends!)
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
LeloTX

No one ever mentions this in TAT rides but it's a pretty amazing place in OK:
http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.3204