TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Upcoming Rides, Trips and Events > Ride/Trip Planning Info

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #41
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Re: Dual-sport adventure in New Mexico late May

Esp since I can't go, I hope y'all will do a full ride report.

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #42
Texas Mud Taco
TWT Advertiser

Texxter- don't know if you left yet, but I just got back from a 3125mi trip, doing a few sections of the nmbdr before heading into AZ, then up to CO. I cut over into AZ after Reserve, near Luna and Alpine. If you have any questions about conditions or anything let me know.

I refuse to list the bikes I own

GnarTek.com
Texas Mud Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #43
texxter

Chris, thank you so much for the offer! We were in New Mexico when you posted above. David, Daniel and I did five days in New Mexico, with a combination of paved and unpaved surfaces, with more paved miles than unpaved. We had a very ambitious plan to cover lots of ground and had to modify it as we went, mostly to reduce it to manageable days. We really enjoyed the Gila Wilderness, Lincoln Forest and the areas in Sandoval County, including the Gilman Tunnels. Didn't get to do the last day of the NMBDR, as I had planned, but I will do it in the future. We had no flats or issues with the bikes (2 wr250r and 1 Weestrom) other than a front caliper misaligned, which we fixed in Pie Town. Dropped the bikes a couple of times due to rocky climbs, but it wasn't bad. We learned that New Mexico is dry dry this year... the Chloride Canyon had no water crossings because the creek was bone dry. We saw from the distance smoke from forest fires in the Apache Creek area. Did 60% motels and 40% camping. Overall a great trip, scaled back from the plan, but still very enjoyable. I put together a quick and dirty video composite, which is a bit too long, 19 minutes, sorry!

Last edited by texxter; 06-04-2018 at 10:07 PM.
texxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #44
misterk
Forum Supporter

Great video, thanks for sharing
misterk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #45
humanrace

19 minutes was not enough. Thanks.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:24 PM   #46
Texasrider58
Forum Supporter

Paco, Daniel and I had a very good trip. The scenery was pretty awesome to get to see some of that country. For the first day we rode to The Gila Cliff Dwellings and then back down 15 and took 35 east over to Forest Road 150. Forest Road 150 or north star road has some amazing scenery. The road finally meets up with New Mexico 59 at the Beaverhead work station and then we went I believe it was East over to 52 to Winston New Mexico. This would be the first days ride.
The second day we started our ride with going thru Chloride Canyon. The canyon was fun and is challenging. But had the Strom kind of loaded down and I done pretty well up to the point that I had to make that right turn up that hill. After the second tip over we had to just unload the bike so we could work the bike back down the hill. We had lunch at the Winston General store and then we started back West on 52 and 59 and then started back through the forest lands and flatlands toward Reserve New Mexico. We saw some mule deer , elk and smoke from the big forest fire. Very interesting ride that second day. We hit a pretty long stretch of a heavily graveled road that I wasn't too fond of. Riding the Strom on that Gravel Road didn't do my elbow and arm any favors from the tip over in Chloride. My 3rd day involved leaving Reserve and going down through Deming over to Las Cruces to have my truck checked out. The next day I was in Capitan and spent that evening riding around Ruidosa.
Friday, I spent the day riding in the Cloudcroft area. The trip made for a fun week.
Texasrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #47
Flesh Wound

I am planning to ride to New Mexico and Colorado next month. Thank you for posting this
Flesh Wound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #48
Westtexasadv
Forum Supporter

We did the BDR on June1 it was a good time. The scenery was nice but it was extremely dry. The pine trees showed the drought stress they were grayish green all the grass was dead or dormant. Every lake that was supposed to there was bone dry. Chloride canyon was completely dry except about a 75' section where a small spring had created small puddles in the ruts of the road. Every animal in the canyon was trying to drink from the few puddles. The deer were so thirsty that they didn't move until we were about 10 feet from them.

The day 1 from Dell City to Ruidoso is a long day. I found the route to be fairly rough and slow going. A lot of washboard roads, and some powdered dirt pits that is like powdered sugar. It was 12' deep in several areas. The ride across the Guadalupe ridge was rocky or gravel marbles for its entire length, We were on big bikes so it was slow going about 15-20 miles per hour. While there were some epic views, it was my least favorite day of the entire route.

The entire ride with the exception of very northern NM into Colorado where the forest finally greened up and trees look bright green and healthy and some green grass in the meadows. The rest was a of the ride about 900 miles of heavy dust conditions. I coughed up brown for a week after we finished the ride. We bypassed the heavy sand section to truth or consequences. The temps were close to 98 degrees and two inexperienced riders in the group we just were not up to a 6 hour sand butt kickin.
Be sure to check forest closure on a daily basis because we had to bypass some of the route due to forest closures.

We are going to the best of COBDR on Aug 25 with GPS Kevin ride adventures we are hoping for a little more moisture on this event.

Last edited by Westtexasadv; 07-23-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Westtexasadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #49
Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texxter View Post
[*]Day 2 - Cloudcroft Loop - Spend night at Deerhead Campground (or similar) in Cloudcroft
[/list]
Hey Paco!

Is the Cloudcroft Loop "doable" on a Jeep (width wise, etc.)?
Adan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #50
texxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
Hey Paco!

Is the Cloudcroft Loop "doable" on a Jeep (width wise, etc.)?
Hi Adan,
Yes, it should be doable on a Jeep. Have fun!
texxter is offline   Reply With Quote