TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Upcoming Rides, Trips and Events > Ride/Trip Planning Info

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
BrotherWolf

Seeking input: Dirt routes, long wknd in SW Utah

A buddy and I are planning to explore the areas around St. George and Hurricane, Utah this winter. We'll be on dirt bikes and looking for mild to wild riding options in the area. Just posting this in case any TWT riders have explored that region and might have some off-pavement favorite trails to suggest.

We'll be coming & going via Las Vegas over a long weekend. There's plenty to see in the area. I want to focus our explorations on dirt rides and not spend hours on pavement trying to squeeze in all the amazing places like Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, etc. I've had the pleasure of visiting Zion National Park once before (loved it), and while I'd like to go back to do some hiking/climbing/canyoneering - I think we're going to spend most of our time outside the park so that we can maximize our BRAP in our limited timeframe. Short hikes to lesser known vistas, waterfalls, hot springs, etc would be terrific to hear about, especially if anyone has linked some of those together via public BLM / national forest dirt roads or accessible "goat trails."

Recommendations are welcome, with an emphasis on any off-the-beaten-track attractions or sights that we might otherwise miss. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
BrotherWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: Seeking input: Dirt routes, long wknd in SW Utah

What bikes will you and your companions be riding? Are they dirt bikes made street legal or adventure bikes street legal from the factory?

When I visited Cloudcroft, NM., the local ranger station had great maps of the roads/trails in the area. They show a lot of stuff that Google Maps doesn't show, or even some of the Garmin GPS maps.

Here is some neat stuff near St. George,

http://www.utahmototrails.com/2012/0...trails-st.html

http://www.dirtbikefrenzy.com/category/southern-utah/

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/.../ride_1245.htm

http://utma.net/category/utah-500/

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
BrotherWolf

Thanks, Tourmeister. We’ll be on a pair of CRF230s and will plan on visiting the nearest ranger station. In the meantime, I’ll check out your links. Still hoping that maybe somebody on these forums has personally ridden in the vicinity or can offer a connection to some local riders. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrotherWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
medicjeff
Forum Supporter

Try reaching out to Tyler, the everide guy. He lives in St George and does nothing but ride and video blog about it. His website... https://everide.org/
His youtube channel has loads of videos from the area that look amazing. I'd love to get out there and ride that area.

I dont do facebook or twitter but he's on those too.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicjeff View Post
Try reaching out to Tyler, the everide guy. He lives in St George and does nothing but ride and video blog about it. His website... https://everide.org/
His youtube channel has loads of videos from the area that look amazing. I'd love to get out there and ride that area.

I dont do facebook or twitter but he's on those too.

Jeff
His videos have come a long way since he started! The guy must have a ton of vacation time or a trust fund! I only wish I could ride as often and in as awesome a place as he gets too!!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
jeremysilas

I used to live in Nevada, Dixie National Forest is a good place for dirt roads. It's a little farther away but I think it'll have more. And you can see Cedar Breaks Monument. If you are looking for complete off-road you can search this page https://stateparks.utah.gov/activiti...-vehicles/ohv/
In Nevada the BLM owns most of the land, so you can ride on any roads and camp pretty much anywhere, which is awesome.
jeremysilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
jeremysilas

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kxLJ6sA6XusQIRNN2
jeremysilas is offline   Reply With Quote