• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tailor leather jacket?

Reaction score
Now it's been said a few times that I should just get a jacket that fits from the get go but I bought a Leather Yamaha jacket for $80 that fits me PERFECTLY... except for the torso length :-/ The front is good as it doesn't want to billow up when I tuck down on my Thundercat but the back rides up too high (2-3" above my belt when tucked, about 1/2" while standing. There's a sewn on piece at the bottom that's about 1 1/2" wide. It seems to me like it wouldn't be hard to rip out the stitches on this and sew in a longer piece of leather to make the overall jacket fit just right.

So does anyone know a specific tailor that can help with this? I've heard that just about any dry cleaner can hook you up but the last one I went to wanted to ship it off and I really want quality work.

Should I seriously just give up, sell this jacket, and find another? I really do love it though, it's comfortable in 90+ degrees, hugs me just right through the chest and arms, armor is in perfect placement and stays there well, and it matches my bike :)

Would it be crazy to try and just do this myself? I've sewn some leather and vinyl seats before by hand. It was kind of a b**ch but fitment on those is really critical to get them to pull tight from all angles. This seems a little more forgiving and it's not a long run to do.

Thanks for your thoughts!
~Chris

I'd really caution you on doing it yourself. In an accident stitching can be a point of failure. I'd give Motoliberty in Dallas a call and see if they can refer you to someone. I was looking to do some similar alteration on some leathers and they refered me to someone but I ended up changing my mind and selling them instead.

Good luck.

Contact MotoLiberty as they can give you some references on folks who have done alterations for them before. I was talking to them about it at one point in time.

Or Nathan might chime in here too...dunno.

Edit: Looks like TejasRider already suggested this so consider me seconding it! :D

My top recommendation for anything leather (repair, modification, etc.) is Amanda at Speed Sport Leather: http://www.angelfire.com/art2/speedsportleathers/AFrontPage.html

If you want to keep it local, we do have a guy we use for in house Moto Liberty stuff. His name is Nelson. He is frequently at our open house and sale events doing on-site repairs. You can show him what you want done and he can tell you if it's possible and how much.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys!

Nathan, how do I find out when those events are? I seem to think it would work out better to have someone actually look at me in the jacket then have me just describe it.

Back