• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 arrested for seriously injuring motorcyclist

Linky no worky for me.

The "..." seems to have messed the URL up.

Edit: Here we go...
Code:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/14602014.htm

'Nother Edit: OUCH! String'em up!

05-17) 10:38 PDT LOS GATOS - Three Los Gatos residents have been arrested after they allegedly strung a rope across a road and pulled it taut when a dirt biker approached, causing the rider to be thrown off his motorcycle and sustain serious injuries, according to the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office.

On May 16, deputies arrested Donald Bryant, 62, Donna Olsen, 46, and Edward Anderson, 48, on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and battery with serious bodily injury.

The incident occurred around 8 p.m. on May 6, when a group of dirt bikers was returning home from a ride in the hills along Loma Chiquita Road, said sheriff spokesman Deputy Serg Palanov.

Bryant, Olsen and Anderson had tied a rope to a tree on one side of the road and waited in bushes on the other side, he said.

When the first rider approached the rope traveling at about 20- to 25 mph, the suspects allegedly pulled the rope taut.

The rope caught the rider in the jaw and threw him off the bike, Palanov said.

The second rider, who saw his friend lying on the ground on top of his motorcycle, slowed to about 5 mph and, as he was coming to a stop, saw the suspects pull the rope taut again.

He was able to stop in time and sustained only minor injuries from hitting the rope, Palanov said.

The first rider was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose, where he remained in a coma for five days.

He suffered severe bone damage and tissue loss and required more than 500 stitches and titanium plates inserted in his face.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact sheriff's Detective Dean Baker at (408) 808-4500.

Nah, they need to make them work the gate at every motorcycle event in California for twenty years.

oldbmw said:
Nah, they need to make them work the gate at every motorcycle event in California for twenty years.

They wouldn't last 20 years if you had them stand at the gates to AMA MX Nationals events and GNCC events wearing signs proclaiming their crimes. Those are some of the wildest most intense motorsports fans you'll ever see.

You'd expect something of this nature to come from kids, not older people like them......... What would possess someone to do something so stupid anyway?

oldbmw said:
I'm bettin noise, or enviromental reasons spured them on.
They dont' strike me as tree huggers....

On second thought, I wonder if the bikers got too close to their "crop"?:twitch:

They may have been trying to steal a couple of bikes to get some meth money.

Looks like they were neighbors.

http://www.nbc11.com/news/9232315/detail.html

LOS GATOS, Calif. --
Donald Bryant
Three Los Gatos residents face assault with a deadly weapon charge after allegedly stringing a rope across a roadway and seriously injuring a fellow biker.

The Santa Clara Country Sheriff's Department told NBC11 News that two groups of neighbors have had several conflicts over who has rights to use the road outside their homes, and those conflicts came to a head two weekends ago.

Tuesday Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Detectives arrested Los Gatos residents Donald Bryant, age 62, Donna Olsen, age 46, and Edward Anderson, age 48 on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and battery with serious bodily injury.
Donna Olsen
The incident happened on the evening of May 6. Investigators said a group of dirt bikers was returning home on Loma Chiquita road following a ride in the hills.

Deputy Serg Palanov said Bryant, Olsen and Anderson tied a rope to a tree on one side of the road and waited in some nearby bushes for two other bikers to approach.
Click here to find out more!

Palanov said when the motorcyclist approached the rope, the trio pulled it taut, causing the man to hit the rope at about 20-25 miles per hour.

That man was thrown backward off his motorcycle and suffered severe injuries.

A second rider also approached the scene. Palanov said he saw his friend lying on the ground and was able to slow his bike down enough to escape injury.

The original victim was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose where he laid comatose for five days. The man suffered severe bone damage and he required over 500 stitches. He also had several titanium plates inserted in his face.
Edward Anderson

It's not clear if the suspects knew how badly they would hurt thier neighbor, but the spokesman for the Sheriff's office said they should have known.

Anyone with further information on this case is asked to contact Sheriff’s Office Detective Dean Baker at (408) 808-4500.

Nahh, they just need a walk....
tied to the end of a rope.
with the other end tied to a KX450.
Down a gravel road.

nah , just tie em together and let me flagellate them with the widowmaker , kinda like the kx450 guy was talking about , big bore bike throw big+++rocks, real hard and lots of them yall streetbikers like doing burnouts , yall oughto see what what a 90 mph rut maker looks like , BIIIIIGGG ROCKS , flung hard , just a couple of passes thats all it would take , can i please!

oldbmw said:
I'm bettin noise, or enviromental reasons spured them on.

+1 Environmental Wackos

Someone needs to strip them down to their scivies and tie them down on a huge fire ant mound. Let the environment take care of them.

a5west5 said:
+1 Environmental Wackos

Someone needs to strip them down to their scivies and tie them down on a huge fire ant mound. Let the environment take care of them.

I'll bring the honey.

Kinda makes you wonder what else mighta happened had they of taken out some of the Bandidos or Hades Angels.

Donald Bryant, age 62, Donna Olsen, age 46, and Edward Anderson, age 48
The ages of these guys doesn't fit with a simple prank. I suspect they had some sort of vendetta, but the story doesn't provide any clue to that.

SV650rider said:
You'd expect something of this nature to come from kids, not older people like them......... What would possess someone to do something so stupid anyway?

I'd bet that their mental age isn't much more than that of a young child.

igo-wfo said:
Nahh, they just need a walk....
tied to the end of a rope.
with the other end tied to a KX450.
Down a gravel road.

I volunteer to ride the 450.

wonder91178 said:
Kinda makes you wonder what else mighta happened had they of taken out some of the Bandidos or Hades Angels.
It never would have made the news and three homeowners would have just disappeared.

LOS GATOS
Dirt-biker mystified by trap set on trail
No known conflict with 3 neighbors charged in assault
John Coté, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, May 18, 2006

Robert Barnes sat in his Los Gatos hills home Wednesday, his face grooved with gashes, his mouth reconstructed with titanium plates, and wondered: Why would anyone set a booby trap across a road used by motorcyclists?

Santa Clara County sheriff's deputies say that Barnes, 46, could have been decapitated May 6 while riding his motorcycle along Loma Chiquita Road in unincorporated Santa Clara County when he rode into a rope or some other object that had been tightly stretched across the road.

On Tuesday, sheriff's deputies arrested Barnes' neighbors, Edward Anderson, 48, Donald Bryant, 62, and Donna Olsen, 46, on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and battery with serious bodily injury in connection with the booby trap. Police say the three watched from nearby bushes as Barnes rode into the rope.

"I know Ed, I know Don, I know Donna," Barnes said, slightly lisping from the wounds and 500 stitches to his face. "It's hard to really explain. I wish I knew just what the heck they were thinking."

Barnes was the lead rider in a group of motorcyclists, going 20-25 mph, when something struck him across his upper lip. He was wearing a full-face helmet, but the impact ripped through parts of his face, knocked out teeth and damaged the sides of his helmet around the face guard, he said.

A second dirt-bike rider saw Barnes thrown from his motorcycle and slowed, Santa Clara County Deputy Serg Palanov said. As the second biker was coming to a stop, he saw the suspects pull taut what appeared to be a rope, Palanov said. The second biker was able to stop in time and sustained only minor injuries from hitting the object.

A friend drove Barnes to the emergency room at Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose, where, after surgery, he was in a coma for five days.

Sitting in the living room of a home perched on a hillside, Barnes tried to make sense of what happened that day. With teeth missing, and stitches protruding from a gash tracking upward from the right corner of his mouth, he spoke slowly, sometimes angrily.

"That was not just a rope," Barnes said. "When the trauma nurse looked at what happened, she said 'There's no way that a rope did this. "

Barnes suspects he hit a length of rebar or something similar that his neighbors had secured at both ends across the roadway, and only after he had struck that did they pull up a rope for the second rider.

Barnes' wife, Wendy Barnes, 41, credited the helmet with saving her husband's life.

"Without that, they said he would have been dead," she said.

The bizarre incident stunned some law enforcement officers.

"I've ridden for years, and I've heard of stories like this, but I just thought it was another urban myth," Palanov said. "I can't believe someone would do this. ... If it was a few inches lower, I don't know. It could have decapitated him, or it could have broken his neck."

Authorities said they are investigating whether the incident was triggered by a dispute about Loma Chiquita Road, a private road about 5 miles east of Highway 17 at Summit Road. Barnes lives just houses away from his alleged attackers.

But Barnes, a construction worker by trade who now cares for his children, said there was no conflict with his neighbors.

He described the neighborhood, where a neighbor's welcome mat read simply, "Leave," and where a power pole is adorned with a blue alien doll, as one that "used to be like the Wild West."

Some neighbors along Loma Chiquita Road, a ribbon of asphalt that periodically turns to dirt, said they were shocked by what happened.

"I don't know anything about a dispute," said Kylee Johnson, 26.

Johnson said she had known the suspects for more than 10 years, described them as nice people, and said she had never heard them complain about motorcycles in the area.

"I've never heard them complain once; I've never really heard anyone complain at all," said Johnson, whose mother commutes to work on a motorcycle. "People who come up here usually come to get away from it all. You expect stuff like this to happen in the city, but you never expect that it can happen here.

Back