• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

PURE GAS

Pickins are slim till you get up towards the Ok/Tx border.

The locations north of the DFW area, Gainesville, St Jo, Nocona, should be accurate. I buy gas from all these places and test it regularly. Unfortunately, people presume that the absence of a 10% Ethanol sticker on the pump means that it's real gas and post it on the website.

I talked to a representative of the Texas Dept. of Agriculture who is involved in monitoring stations. Despite the requirement that pumps be marked when dispensing ethanol, it is widely ignored. Alarmingly, he mentioned that 91 octane fuel at one station (in the ethanol area) tested at an actual 94 octane. We both wondered if that fuel had been "splash blended" to about 25% ethanol. The requirement is to add a certain volume of alcohol to the nation's fuel, not a certain percentage. Some distributors may be looking for creative ways to get rid of it.

My R1200RT gets a stone-reliable 50 mpg on real gas. Last month, I had to use the ethanol-blended stuff on a ride out of the area, and the mileage dropped to 45 mpg.

Back