• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda nc700x Observations & Questions after 7270 miles

I've always been interested in this bike, but every time I was ready to buy I came home with a 650 V-Strom instead. I just think the 650 V-Strom was a much better suited for me, bigger feel and ride. I wanted to try the automatic version of this bike, but the cost was another thousand and just could justify the price for this 650 in this category of bikes. I did find a used automatic one, but the seller would let me test drive it, can you believe a 70 years old guy with 45 years of riding experience, and have owner over 50 motorcycles. Oh well, I did buy a 650 Burgman for my automatic riding and it will probably blow away the Honda, so no love lost here. I still always look at the Honda, but will probably not buy one as I prefer other bikes for my dual sport riding, but what can I say, it's a Honda, should do well over time.

John

Last edited:
Thanks.

I was trolling the net for farkle ideas, and man, the misinformation out there on this bike.

/activate rant not directed at anyone in particular.

No. For the millionths time. It is not half a Honda Fit or Jazz engine. That was a joke made at a press confrence. The internet took it literal. You cannot simply "saw a Jazz in half" and use it in a motorcycle.

You do not have to remove the top case to put in fuel. That's ridiculous.

You do not have to remove the pillion seat to put in fuel. The seat lifts up.

It is not a scooter. Not by any stretch.

You can adjust the rear suspension.

I think the misinformation out there on this bike is one reason it hasn't sold better.

The misexpectation is another. It's not Honda's answer to the Vstrom. Yes, they have similarities. A lot in appearance. Enough that some people, mc magazines included (especially) think they should fill the same roles equally. They don't. I don't believe Honda set out to dethrone the Vstrom as the cult choice of ADV riders. They weren't gunning for KTM, either. Nor for BMW-- even if I've had two people ask me if that was one of them BMW motorcycles.

And what's more, none of these bikes are dirt bikes. Only dirt bikes are dirt bikes. Honda has dirt bikes. If that's what you want, go buy one. So does Suzuki. If that's what you want, don't buy a Vstrom.

The NCX, and it's sister, the CTX, were made to be what they are; mid size bikes that preform very well as every day drivers and mid range trippers. The NCX does add some versatility with it's ground clearance and longer suspension. There are folks taking it on the trails. Nearly any bike can go off pavement.

/ end rant

69 mpg. A lot of it on the highways crossing the DFW. Wow.

Well, I'm at 6,269 miles since February.

MPG is about 68. Sweet.

The paniers have not tried to fall off again, but I am missing a bolt on the radiator.

One of the Warn lights has burned out. I think it's just the bulb. The main headlight could be brighter. Maybe I'll get a Sylvania Silver Star bulb.

The bike hasn't used any oil. Changing the oil myself was fairly easy. I did have to take the coolant reservoir loose since King Kong did the 600 mile service, and I couldn't get the filter off without some additional leverage room. The drain plug is on the kickstand side. Clever way to get maximum oil drainage. Cycle Gear had oil and two brands of filter in stock.

I've lubed the chain almost every time I've gotten gas. Adjusting it wasn't rocket surgery, but the maker tabs, as stated on ADV, are nearly worthless. The tabs wiggle around when the chain adjustment nuts are loosened. So far, so good, though. Looks like I did it right.

The 'A' trip meter resets itself. This is a known issue with the NCX. It hasn't bothered me enough to take it in.

Being a DFW commuter, I've had plenty opportunity to use the "underpowered brakes". The brakes are fine. If I were to change the pads, I go with something 'performance', but who wouldn't?

The Metzler Roadtecs are still awesome.

The bike shifts smooth as you please. The "low rev limit" still isn't an issue, and that's with me revving it a little higher between shifts now. Granted, I came from an 805cc cruiser, not a 1,400cc sport bike. I'm also spoiled on 6th gear. Very nice.

I run it up to 70-75 mph on just about every work day commute. The 670cc parallel twin is plenty enough engine for the job.

The exhaust pipe has turned an oxblood color, but the muffler is still shiny chrome. I guess it's chrome. It's all nice and silver.

No rust, despite being put up wet several times.

I am on the lookout for some fatter, softer grip covers, and also considering a Cramp Buster.

The seat is a seat. Sometimes I sit on the pillion. That is not advice.

I still feel like this bike handles better than I handle it. I was never a canyon carver anyway. It does superb in commuter traffic and on city streets.

All in all, I'm still totally satisfied. The bike does everything I want it to, and makes doing it fun.

I bought a 2013 a couple of weeks ago, had 1900 miles on it. It has the DCT. I wanted to try out the DCT, because I am thinking about buying the Africa Twin with the DCT next year.

I took the bike to an Arkansas Gold wing gathering a couple of weekends ago (3 days after I picked up the bike). I also am on my second goldwing, so here are my thoughts.

I love the DCT, I keep it in sport mode most of the time. On the highway I switch it to Drive mode. I did have it up to 96mph in Ark on I40. Did great riding the twisties, it was really nice to throw around in the curves. It is easier to move 500lbs than 1000lbs. However, It doesn't have the torque coming out of the curves like the wing. But I could out ride my wing buddies in the tight turns.

I did 1200 miles on it in 2 1/2 days, I really enjoy the NC. However, it came with the Honda tall windshield which was a total whipping. I am 6' and the air was hitting my neck causing all kinds of noise issues. I ordered a madstad the same day I picked up the bike, it got shipped today (cant wait). BTW, it also came with a Corbin driver and passenger seat.

Last weekend I did the Texas Iron butt rally on the wing. It was nice to ride the wing and feel that power. But the NC is still a very fun bike to ride. Between the trunk, frunk and saddlebags, I almost have as much storage space as the wing ( I think I figured I had about 10 litres less than the wing.

I bought this to do some fire road and light duty trail riding. That comes up next weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So, you're up around 15k miles now Bines? Have you checked your valves yet? Should probably start thinking about it if you haven't.

The paniers have not tried to fall off again, but I am missing a bolt on the radiator.

Nope, that's how it comes. Only one bolt holds on the rad.

The exhaust pipe has turned an oxblood color, but the muffler is still shiny chrome. I guess it's chrome. It's all nice and silver.

A little bar keeper's friend polish will fix you right up. My muffler polished out really well, and still looks great at 50k miles.

The seat is a seat. Sometimes I sit on the pillion. That is not advice.

Seat Concepts is your friend. Love mine.

All in all, I'm still totally satisfied. The bike does everything I want it to, and makes doing it fun.

Yep. It's not an ego stroker, but it's a competent runabout. I think of it as my two wheeled Honda Element. Quirky utilitarianism ;-).

Last weekend I did the Texas Iron butt rally on the wing. It was nice to ride the wing and feel that power. But the NC is still a very fun bike to ride. Between the trunk, frunk and saddlebags, I almost have as much storage space as the wing ( I think I figured I had about 10 litres less than the wing.

Real men do the SS1k on the NC :-P I kid, I kid! Though there are quite a few of us that have done it now, and two competed in the IBA rally this past year and did relatively well I think.

YMMV.

trey

I'm at about 7,500 and one year come the 14th, and still lovin' it. :D

Mid 60s mpg, on average. Sometimes higher. All the nessecary power, handling and stopping ability I need. Plenty storage. There's lots of room on the seat to change around my seating position. The bike simply does what I want it to, and does it quite well.

My one gripe is the Warn lights from the dealer. Having to unwire and rewire them just to change a bulb is dumb. Maybe I'll get off some cash and buy the acerbis handguards with the LEDs in them.

Just over 8,000 miles and I've adjusted the chain again. Half a turn on either side. Easy-peasy. Looks like plenty life left. Sprokets look fine. Tires do, too. Oil still looks good between changes. Bike's not "using" any.

I need to do the valves real soon just based on the maintenance schedule. The bike runs great.

Oh, and I checked into that radiator mount bolt. You're right. Just the one bolt.

I need to do the valves real soon just based on the maintenance schedule. The bike runs great.

Yep, make sure and do the first check relatively soon, better safe than sorry. They don't move much, but at the 8k mile check the exhaust valves tend to be a tad tight.

I just checked mine for the 5th time at 55k miles and at this point they just don't really move. The exhausts are moving maybe .01 mm tighter every 15k miles, and I have yet to touch the intakes since the initial 8k check.

YMMV...

trey

Trey, is it 8k between valve checks? My manual shows 8 but I was thinking the next year after mine they went to 16k, could be mistaken, I doubt they did any changes in the engine. BTW, do you still have that Beowulf exhaust? Every time I crank my NC after sitting awhile in the garage water drips out of mine onto the garage floor. Seems like Beowulf exhaust suck in a lot of moisture.

I am at 7500 miles, chain and sprocket good, tires suck, I got 4K out of oem, then added shinko 705, I am at about 4K on them and only about 1k left, front still looks new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's really, stupidly simple. I'm doing my 3rd check this morning, it should take about 2 hours. Only thing I can imagine being easier would be a BMW boxer with the heads sticking out asking for it.

Here's a video my buddy shot while I checked Skip's valves:

Honda NC700X Valve Adjustment Procedure, Step by Step - YouTube

Yes, radiator has to come out, but that's it for removing things and takes all of 5 minutes. On my Bandit (1250) you would spend an hour just getting to the valve cover -- removing the tank, side fairings for room, and a mile of plumbing nested on top of it. And then you had the joy of trying to work with zero room.... On the NC, once you get the radiator and valve cover off you've got all the room in the world to work which is nice.

IMAG0205.jpg

As mentioned, screw and locknut, so no shims or pulling cams. I'm at ~40k miles now and doubt my valves have moved since last time. The first check I nudged a couple to the center of spec, but they don't seem to move per my experience and the NC forum reports.

Been a good little workhorse :rider:

trey

Thanks for posting this

Trey, is it 8k between valve checks? My manual shows 8 but I was thinking the next year after mine they went to 16k, could be mistaken, I doubt they did any changes in the engine. BTW, do you still have that Beowulf exhaust? Every time I crank my NC after sitting awhile in the garage water drips out of mine onto the garage floor. Seems like Beowulf exhaust suck in a lot of moisture.

Yep, 8k intervals is what my book says as well. But you're right, in 2013 or 2014 they switched to 16k intervals, and the collective knowledge is nothing in the motor actually changed, Honda just became confident that the short interval was overkill.

I actually just put my Beowulf slip on back on a month or so ago. I bet the problem is the clamp that is supposed to tighten the mid-pipe to the OEM pipe. Mine isn't a good fit, it's oversized by just a bit. I keep meaning to order a smaller clamp, but the condensation drips don't bother me so it keeps falling off my radar. If I remember right, my Bandit actually had a drain hole in the OEM piping's low spot to help drain moisture.

misterk -- Careful with those 705's in the rain. I have a set on now, but it'll be back to PR4 for me after these. They're downright scary on wet tar snakes in the road.

trey

Yep, 8k intervals is what my book says as well. But you're right, in 2013 or 2014 they switched to 16k intervals, and the collective knowledge is nothing in the motor actually changed, Honda just became confident that the short interval was overkill.

I actually just put my Beowulf slip on back on a month or so ago. I bet the problem is the clamp that is supposed to tighten the mid-pipe to the OEM pipe. Mine isn't a good fit, it's oversized by just a bit. I keep meaning to order a smaller clamp, but the condensation drips don't bother me so it keeps falling off my radar. If I remember right, my Bandit actually had a drain hole in the OEM piping's low spot to help drain moisture.

misterk -- Careful with those 705's in the rain. I have a set on now, but it'll be back to PR4 for me after these. They're downright scary on wet tar snakes in the road.

trey
Well I'll probably check my valves a 8k if I still have it. I only have around 3.5k on my now. With other machines to play with the miles don't pile up to fast especially since the wife retired. Unfortunately I'm getting the craving for the '16 model with the DCT. Really wanted the DCT on my '13 but I was leery of them then but it seems they are pretty dependable.

trey, i agree, they are slick in the rain. i have a 5000 mile trip to idaho and s. dakota coming up in august. i think i will run the pr4's.

st: i have the dct, i love it. i amagine the next goldwing that comes out will have the dct, at which time i will trade my 2010 wing! i like the dct that much.

Last edited:

trey

You got my girl all exposed like dat for all the world to see her nether regions? That ain't right!!! ;)

I was a bit late at 10,000 miles. Valves checked good. No adjustment needed.

Observations:
T1 is TDC for piston 1.
T2 is TDC for piston 2.
There are rubber washers on the valve cover, under each bolt. They are meant to go in facing only one way, and are marked as such.
That fan plug is a bear. I unbolted the fan from the radiator.
Be prepared to catch and reuse or replace about two pints of coolant.

This job was easy. Well worth the time and experience to do it myself and not spend $300+.

Off-road performance was better than I expected. Did some VERY rough washboard, mixed with erosion and large patches of soft powerdery sand. This was going the 32miles in/out of Chaco Canyon, NM. And, I did 34 miles in/out of rough dirt, gravel, mixed with large rocks getting to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon national forest camping...I did about 15 miles of the Valley of the Gods that's mostly dirt mixed with some gravel. No problem

Skip, What is your offroad skill level and how big are you?

I'm seriously considering a 2012 NC, but I'm skared by the weight and tall seat (32.7"). I don't have any experience with big ADV bikes. I sat on a Vstrom, and I thought that thing was massive...I couldn't get it off the side stand...too heavy, not enough leverage from my 27" inseam.

Last edited:
Well, I know I'm sorta late here but Bravo! to you Honda 700nc/x(?) owners for stating some actual, owner facts about this interesting to me bike.

But I am new here; so. :sun:

I'm shopping for a used, new to me bike after being off for over 10+yrs. Last bike I owned was a 90's KLR650 and just puttered around the local area on that for few months til I sold it. I started on a 100cc enduro and a couple mid-sized, standard bikes over the years.

And I felt sure I was going to end up on a 800cc Cruiser soon as there are so many of those for sale nearby and well within my small-ish budget. But as I started to get on bike sites and shop longer, over a month now, I see the Adv style bike is more to my liking. I've seen a few of these Honda 700's for sale and I really like the looks of the bike. Esp that silver one, noice.

But I read and saw videos' with so much negative results, I ruled it out pretty quickly. But it stayed on my mind, so I've been doing searches on a couple bike sites I've joined to see just how horrible it can be.

I'm retired so don't need a daily commuter, cept maybe to the gym. Hey new bike, I have an excuse to get my lazy **** back in there again. Yay!

And to re-start riding, I'd only be doing weekend 1-2 hour cruises on the backroads of all these developing areas out here NE of Houston. A buddy has a 800 Vulcan, another reason I was leaning that way. But I like the looks of the Adv style bikes. And the more upright stance of riding. It's familiar to me.

I rode a '08 Versys 650 yesterday, first ride in over 10yrs. Nice bike. I was so proud I slipped the clutch and rolled away, didn't kill it. YES! That tall bike surprised me with the power, it sure aint my old KLR. The V strom 650 is my top choice just not found one in my budget yet. At 5'9" its' pretty tall but I can almost flat foot it. Sat on a DL1000, tip-toed it.

I'm supposed to go see a '06 Honda 919 this weekend. After what I felt the 650 like under me, not sure a 919 is the way to go. But its' in my budget, I like it's looks. Many say, it' an easy bike to re-start on. But we'll see soon.

I know I don't want the Honda auto-bike, 700. I want to be shifty again.

So thanks all for allaying my fears and doubts about this Honda. OH BOY, another bike on my list I have to research to no end. Peace y'all. e

Last edited:
Back