• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1981 KZ650-CSR

Reaction score
A riding restoration. It's not perfect but not too bad either.

1981 KZ650-CSR w KZ550-Ltd wheels. KZ750E exhaust. and ZX10 rotor bolts hee
8diUJIr.jpg

CKeVNzt.jpg

l3OqGwl.jpg

ccTzQTk.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the restored stuff.
H1FGOxb.jpg
QU5xj0r.jpg

DViwakE.jpg
Hx3Gy8G.jpg

Kinda before, but after doing some stuff to it. the spokes are rusty.
y4Thfki.jpg

KZ550 wheels & 750E mufflers. before installing blue paint set
IkeN4bf.jpg

Last edited:
Coming out of lurk mode... That's beautiful! Here's a shot of my black '82 when it was new - miss that thing, was my main mode of transport at the time.

flee_csr.jpg

Wow nice! My first bike was an '81 650 CSR!

One of my only pics... back when I was building out an office in my first house's garage

office01.jpg

Recent stuff. The exhaust system was in pretty good condition, but it had rust in the typical areas, especially at the manifold/cross-over sections,
so it seemed prudent to do something before it got worse.

Before wire wheeling the rust, but after cleaning & polishing the chrome a bit.
g4SNKUv.jpg

After wire wheeling using a dremel & fine/soft jeweler's brass wheels.
The wheels came in 10-packs or something like that. good thing too, because they could only do so much before the bristles would go flying.
I got them because the chrome was good & I didn't want to scratch it up. I just wanted to remove the rust & clean out the pitted areas.
Pj89Ho1.jpg

Rustoleum high heat ultra bar-b-que grill paint. baking in the sun to cure the paint. I guess that helps. ???
lLnJgLf.jpg

Last edited:
Cleaning the insides. I used various methods & it was a lot of work. car wash high pressure rinse. high pressure soap. rinse again. spray some wheel cleaner & engine cleaner then let it sit. then a high pressure rinse. carb cleaner spray. brake cleaner spray. evaporust. I plugged all of the openings & left the evaporust in there for days. 1:4 vinegar & water.

Painting. I did the insides first. I was able to paint the inside of the manifold area fairly thoroughly without overdoing the coatings, applying several coats. I did that first, let it cure for a few days, then gob-coated the rest, spraying a bunch of paint then rotating the mufflers to coat the surfaces. again doing several coats. Before painting the exterior areas, I cleaned & polished the chrome using Liquid wrench silicone spray & clean soft cloths, then wiped the areas to be painted with denatured alcohol & clean cloths. then sprayed several coats. so far it's holding up fine.

Curing in the sun during the summer.
DLelRu8.jpg

Silver Rustoleum high heat ultra paint after riding a few thousand miles. It's still in pretty good shape.
I cleaned & painted the insides of the mufflers as well.
uHC4lOd.jpg

Digital photos can be deceptive. The frame needs to be painted & the engine could use some attention as well.
I save & use only the good pics & dump the others. hee.
ZmZRHEw.jpg

Last edited:
Back