• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Advantages of "Classic" plates?

Reaction score
Hopefully, I'll soon be registering and plating my 1970 BSA B25 (it's already titled and insured in my name).

I know that "Antique" plates limit when you can ride the bike and "Classic" plates do not but I can't see any advantage of having "Classic" rather than normal plates other than being able to use any old plates you happen to have.

I don't have any old suitable plates so is there any other advantage to "Classic" plates that I'm not seeing. As far as I can tell, inspection requirements and registration fees are the same for normal and classic.

Terry

I found a 1970 plate on craigslist for my 1970 Triumph, and registered it. No real advantage other that it's cool to a have a plate that matches the year. I can't remember, there might even be a small additional fee.

You can only register it if there is not an active plate with the same numbers. You can call DMV and find out if the number is available before you buy.

I know a few people who use the antique plates quite often. Probably a little outside of the "rules" of the antique plates but not often enough to justify spending full registration fees for something that is essentially a toy that rarely gets ridden.

Just this month I plated the Jag with antique plates. When a car or bike is only used a few times a year, antique plates make sense. It saves hassle with the inspection. I'll put antique plates on the 71 TR6R next. Between cars, bikes and trailers, registrations seem to come as often as utility bills.

I had classic plates on my Mustang but other than having a 'classic car' script on it it had no advantage. I've since found and registered a 1970 plate but again, no advantage over a standard plate other than it looks cool.

And I agree with meriden, it's a total **** with registration and inspection stickers now. I seem to be standing in line getting something inspected all the time. At least my girls are grown and gone now so I'm down 2 beat-downs.

I'm running classic plates on my Bronco, since it saves me from having to deal w/inspections and it only costs $50 for 5 years of registration...

CM

That sounds like antique plates not classic, classic plates classic plate still require the normal registration fees and inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running classic plates on my Bronco, since it saves me from having to deal w/inspections and it only costs $50 for 5 years of registration...

CM

Classic plates? I thought it was only antique plates that allowed that. I need to do more research then.

Is it going to be a daily driver? If not go with the antiques. I have antique plates on one of my bikes. I did a lot of research and I heard a lot of rumors about them. The number one being "you can only drive an antique XXXX number of miles a year." This is not true as my registration and title both say N/A on mileage.

You are limited to "events and vehicle maintenance". The question here is what constitutes an event? TWT pie run? Breakfast with fellow motorcycle enthusiast? Mena , AR camp out, Driving it to breakfast where other riders or nice cars hang out and talk about how fast they use to be? What constitutes maintenance. Exercising the motorcycle weekly, monthly, quarterly to keep it in shape? Adding a farkle and checking it out, Adjusting carbs and trying it out.....

I had to tinker with my carbs constantly and afterwards would ride it in to town for breakfast or lunch. I never had an issue. I spoke with a few local officers and they weren't up to speed on the laws or what constitutes "events or maintenance." If you don't plan on making it a daily driver register it as a antique and go about your business. If by some odd chance you were to get stopped and they questioned you, you get to determine if you are riding it to an event or maintenance. How are they going to tell you different?

Last edited:
Thanks to all. Not being one to push the envelope very much, I think I'll just go with classic plates. It should pass inspection with no problems and I'll be able to ride it any time without worrying about getting pulled over.

I have one old puck-up- 690K- with a classic plate because I didn't want to not be able to drive it. But it really only gets driven...to keep it driveable.
The real problem is INSURANCE. If it's an antique and not inspected, and you have a wreck, WILL YOUR INSURER DENY COVERAGE?!?
My motorcycle is ANTIQUE plate because it only get drive to TWT /Antique events, and to maintain it. Carbs get gummy if they sit too long.

Last edited:
I have one old puck-up- 690K- with a classic plate because I didn't want to not be able to drive it. But it really only gets driven...to keep it driveable.
The real problem is INSURANCE. If it's an antique and not inspected, and you have a wreck, WILL YOUR INSURER DENY COVERAGE?!?
My motorcycle is ANTIQUE plate because it only get drive to TWT /Antique events, and to maintain it. Carbs get gummy if they sit too long.

No they will not deny coverage, unless you have a restrictive policy that has that specific language. I have a couple of classic vehicles. My wife's '68 Ghia convertible has Texas Antique plates and a policy from Hagerty Insurance that clearly defines what is and is not covered. My policy does not restrict the amount of miles that you drive but it does place some conditions on how the vehicle is used. Nothing too restrictive.

If you get Antique plates to get around inspections and registrations, then you are rolling the dice anyway. If you get Antique plates and drive the vehicle occasionally and for pleasure, then that qualifies as maintenance. The insurance company doesn't care how you have the vehicle registered, it cares that you comply with your policy. My advice is that any true Classic or Antique that has real value (and NOT a daily driver) be insured by a company like Hagerty that specializes in these types of vehicles.

Off topic I know, but still. As to the original question, it has been answered correctly already that Texas "Classic" plates do not alleviate the requirement for yearly inspection and registration. "Antique" does but with the restrictions that have already been mentioned in previous posts.

My wife's '68 Ghia convertible has Texas Antique plates and a policy from Hagerty Insurance that clearly defines what is and is not covered. ... My advice is that any true Classic or Antique that has real value (and NOT a daily driver) be insured by a company like Hagerty that specializes in these types of vehicles.

This type of insurance is a good litmus test for the issue. When an owner signs a VTR54 they claim that the vehicle is a "collector's item" subject to limited use. Insurers like Hagerty offer agreed value coverage much like what other insurers would offer on an oil painting, original Shaker furniture or other item of value. Some antique people call it replacement value. So if the value of your car or bike is such that you are trying to preserve it, rather than use it, then it meets the spirit of the Antique registration.

Kind of an aside but along the same lines, I will not leave my 71 Triumph or my Jag alone in a parking lot or other public space. I might at a motorcycle shop/show or the car at a decent restaurant where the valet would be watching over it, but no where the general public could get to them.

This type of insurance is a good litmus test for the issue. When an owner signs a VTR54 they claim that the vehicle is a "collector's item" subject to limited use. Insurers like Hagerty offer agreed value coverage much like what other insurers would offer on an oil painting, original Shaker furniture or other item of value. Some antique people call it replacement value. So if the value of your car or bike is such that you are trying to preserve it, rather than use it, then it meets the spirit of the Antique registration.

Kind of an aside but along the same lines, I will not leave my 71 Triumph or my Jag alone in a parking lot or other public space. I might at a motorcycle shop/show or the car at a decent restaurant where the valet would be watching over it, but no where the general public could get to them.

All good points. Ghia convertibles went crazy a couple of year ago when a Concour example hit 65K at Barrett Jackson. I think it sort of put the car in general "on the map" as far as a somewhat under-rated collectible. The values have smoothed out since then but have not really gone back down.

I am cautious about parking, etc. as well. We still like to get out and drive our cars though so I guess that is why we cover them with good policies.

Back