• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shopping for a Bandit replacement

Reaction score
I started shopping for a replacement for the Bandit 1250. I want something with cruise control for the long drone on the highway to get to the better roads.

I trying to decide if I should return it to stock or sell with all of the farkles on it. They include:
- Sargent seat (factory customized 1" wider and more rise in the front to prevent sliding forward).
- SWMotech quick release luggage racks with Givi V35 cases
- VStream 22" windscreen
- Daytona bars with grip heaters

Trying to decide if I will get more $$$ as a set or if I part them out. All of the stock items were only on the bike for about 2 weeks.

I'd probably leave them on the bike and use them as a negotiating tool. For the type of riding that I do, I'd prefer to have them on there (if I were buying a motorcycle) as it would save me having to buy them. If you had a prospective buyer who wanted to "get it cheap", then you could lower the price, put some or all of the stock parts back on (they being newer would be a plus for the new owner) and sell the aftermarket parts to make your difference. Of course, all of us know (don't we?) that most of the time "we ain't makin' our money back". It is so fortunate that the rewards of motorcycling are so great, but unfortunate that the reward is not paid in cash.

With some of the newer adv bikes now offering CC, you have options - depending on your inseam length. At 30", I've tried Tiger and Tenere and taken a pass on both, although there is a low-seat, low-ride option on the new Tr 800. There's an outfit that just started marketing electronic CC for the FJ-09; after that you're into BMW and FJR territory.

As for selling, you will probably get more requests for the farkles than for the bike all farkled up, but you never know until you advertise. Don't expect to get much for the bike!

t110 - 1250SA: v35s, v46, risers, guards, Cogent f/r, Sargent "low", HS brace

I remember a dealer offering me 2300 bucks for my '07 Bandit with full Givi Luggage, crash bar, 3 in risers, Givi Windshield and speedohealer on it. Said it was a high mileage bike with just 75K miles on the clock. Sheesh! I kept it.

I know the Bandit does not have a high resale value. I am just trying to maximize return. With a 34" inseam, tall bikes are not an issue. I had a Tiger 1050, great bike, I miss it. Cruise control is a must in the next bike. Living in Houston means there is a lot of droning to get to good roads. I have had 2 BMWs, the maintenance costs were high. I had a 2006 FJR so that is the top candidate at the moment. Don't want a cruiser or Gold Wing.

Other than CL, what other avenues are good for selling myself?

I know the Bandit does not have a high resale value. I am just trying to maximize return. With a 34" inseam, tall bikes are not an issue. I had a Tiger 1050, great bike, I miss it. Cruise control is a must in the next bike. Living in Houston means there is a lot of droning to get to good roads. I have had 2 BMWs, the maintenance costs were high. I had a 2006 FJR so that is the top candidate at the moment. Don't want a cruiser or Gold Wing.

Other than CL, what other avenues are good for selling myself?

Sell it on TWT.

Leftover 14 and 15 FJR's are getting steep discounts now, as dealers were caught unawares by the new 6-speed. You might check to see what kind of trade you can get for your bike in stock form. I'm guessing you could easily get 50% of retail on the racks, bags, and seat - maybe more.

The dealer in the area that had a discounted '15 model sold it before I could get there. They said they won't order anymore without a $1K deposit. Another dealer is asking MSRP for a '15 model. No thanks.

Be aware that the '13 FJR has electronic cruise control that works very well BUT it has an 80mph limit that it can't be set above. As you know being from Texas, that means that many times it will be worthless to you. The '14 and later doesn't have this restriction.

I had and 04 and then a 13 through 11 years and I think they're killer bikes.

Be aware that the '13 FJR has electronic cruise control that works very well BUT it has an 80mph limit that it can't be set above. As you know being from Texas, that means that many times it will be worthless to you. The '14 and later doesn't have this restriction.

I had and 04 and then a 13 through 11 years and I think they're killer bikes.
Thanks for the heads-up on that. I know to narrow my search to '14+. I want to replace the brake pads and get the recall performed before making any moves. Can't seem to get the dealer to order the recall part.

Your other alternatives are Honda ST and Kawasaki Concours 14. Both are porkier than the bandit but have all the features you are looking for

I don't think the C14 has cruise control unless it is a new option for 2016. Not a fan of the ST1300. I had a ST1100 and was not impressed. The other options are BMW, Triumph, Ducati which means $$$$$$$!

Dealer in North Texas has this, list it as an "A" but pictures show the ES forks.

Miles are low, cost shows a little high but they tend to deal on the price.

Click Linky below....

2015 FJR

Have you considered installing a cruise control on the Bandit?

Have you considered installing a cruise control on the Bandit?

Yes, but I have heard of several installs that didn't go well. I am ready for something different. It is a bad habit. I like the Bandit and wish I had space for 2 bikes but that is not an option.

Back