• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Warming up my 2006 GSF1200S

Reaction score
Hi,

I just purchased a 2006 GSF1200S (it's not a common model - wasn't sold in the US that year).

When I start it cold with the choke (or "fuel enricher"? I'm not 100% sure) open it tries to idle, and after 20 seconds it'll just stall. I have to hold the throttle around 2000rpm for a minute, and at a certain point it will kick up to 3000rpm and I can let go of the throttle. After that it stays at 3000rpm until I close the choke, and if it's been running for at least a few minutes it will finally idle without stalling (I set the idle around 1100rpm).

Is this normal or is there something I can do? My last carbureted bike was able to warm up with the choke open and not stall at all.

FYI I just did an oil & filter change, and changed the air filter, but the issue is still the same. Everything on the bike is stock, and once it's warm the bike runs beautifully and never stalls while idling around 1100rpm.

Thanks!

Have you tried just using 50% choke??? I find that full choke is simply too much fuel. Also, Bandits are notoriously lean from the factory and can be finicky when cold. A stage one jet kit really helps.

Thanks that helped! It hovered around 1100rpm and after a few minutes I was able to close the choke and not have it stall. Takes longer to warm up than at 3000 but at least I don't have to hold the throttle this way. Cheers!

Your pilot jets may be a bit gummed up too.
Try running a can of seafoam in a full tank. If that doesn't dot it you need to pull & clean the carbs.
Agreed on the stage one set up with a slip on and hole in the airbox the 1200 rips. If you go that route clean all the carb circuits with good carb cleaner and blow them out before re-assembly.

Back