• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: NE Houston - Atascocita/Humble area riders!

Trailer a FJR from Atascocita to Cleveland? That sure seems like a lot of hassle. Them FJR's are built for miles anyway. I could show you a very nice route from Lake Houston weaving backroads up there.
'17 FJ09 (in the sig) ;) I load it in the back of my Tacoma.

Yep... I Dr got a few of those roads in routes as well!

I'm in Walden, not far at all from eagle springs. Well have to connect for the next ride!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Cool. Got any pets? My Wife and I run Summerwood Vet...

Autocorrect messed up the start of my last post there...

Anyway... pets?

Like... 3 dogs?

And 2 cats?

3 parakeets?

A conure?

And a quaker parrot?

Nawww. No pets. We have a zoo!

Autocorrect messed up the start of my last post there...

Anyway... pets?

Like... 3 dogs?

And 2 cats?

3 parakeets?

A conure?

And a quaker parrot?

Nawww. No pets. We have a zoo!

Sounds like you need a good vet. ;) We're starting construction on a 6200 sq ft clinic in Generation Park next month...My Wife is Dr. McCann.

Last edited:
^Yeah, that's 1 hr + round trip I can ride before my butt starts complaining. I call it the butt clock.:rider:

Ok... different strokes for different folks.

It's not worth the hassle for me. Living this close to the rural areas, it's not worth it to me. Besides, there are some roads to Cleveland that aren't so much slabbing... I just enjoy the ride.

Our rides... I tend to set most of them up. I'm certainly open to anybody setting up a ride and leading, but I usually seem to be the one setting up and leading. Typically, for my rides:

We start in Cleveland, sometimes Atascocita, Flying J at 242 and 59, or even Dayton. A bit of conversation and coffee, and then kick stands up (KSU). We're not too "military" about the KSU time... try to give everybody time to get things together.

My bike goes about 140 miles on a tank of gas, so we typically do the rides in ~100 mile segments, with a 30 to 45 minute break for fuel, hydration, and fishing stories.

A typical ride is about 175 miles, minimum, normally about 200 to 250. Occasionally, I put together a longer ride and we do lunch at the Texas Star in Colmesneil or the Ranch Hand near Cleveland, or breakfast early at Mama Jack's in Kountze, etc... I think we might need to get out toward Chapel Hill again soon form some BBQ as well...

You may also see an occasional "butt burner" ride, where we get up into the San Augustine area... those rides are usually around 500 miles or so... all day.

We have some good rides with some great riders, and I try to find the best roads in each of the areas we ride... with a bit of "mixing it up" to keep it interesting.

If that sounds good... then you should join us!

I'm out of pocket for a couple weeks, but I'll have a ride set up right after the 4th... considering a Lufkin / San Augustine butt burner redo soon!

Guess it really doesn't matter how we get to the starting point, as long as we get there. :) I usually park my truck at City Park in Cleveland. Hauling bikes is easy for me... I ride MX & dirt regularly. The FJ 09 does ~200 miles on a tank, so gas isn't typically a problem. Look forward to meeting you.

Last edited:
Considering a run after the 4th up 149 through the SHNF and over to Navasota to catch 3090, then some of the roads around Brenham... May be an excuse to do BBQ in Chapel Hill...:rider:

Well... LeloTX made it for a chat, but couldn't ride... We'll catch you on the next run. Nice new bike!

Good to see that you're still leading these rides, Blue Flash. I'm looking forward to joining you next time. It' staking all the effort I can muster to keep the rpm's on the new bike below 4000 (yeah, right!) as the break-in period progresses...

Ride, ride, ride... the slow first days are tough!

As far as rides go... I'm going to ride. Because of TWT, i know a lot of roads that are good, and it's fun to take a few others along!

I enjoy it, and maybe i can do the same as this site has done for me.

It all started when i posted "where are the curves?" And i got this big list of numbers from tourmeister...

The rest... has been a lot of good rides with a lot of great people!

Spent the 4th weekend in the twisties, but not riding...

OK... so after 2 weeks off the bike, it sounds like I'm tied up for another weekend! Next weekend HAS to be good... I need to ride!

Just got back from Silver City, NM... there are some great roads out there, but I was in the truck... 152 between just south of T or C and Silver City definitely twisty (mostly between Hillsboro and San Lorenzo), and the road up to the Gila Cliff Dwellings is tight and twisty... 35 is twisty, but not as much as the lower part of 15 to the cliff dwellings. Then again, the pavement is much better on 35... The north part of 15 is great!

A note about nearly all of the roads in this area... a huge chunk of the land is open range... any blind curve may be hiding cattle in the road. Deer are plentiful as well... keep alert! We even saw a small group of 4 or 5 javelinas coming back from the VLA on 152.

for the adventure riders... there are forest roads and dirt county roads all over!

We did the cliff dwellings, which were great, and also up to the Very Large Array near Datil. 180 from Silver City to Datil is nice, and mostly scenic, with some good curves when you get into the mountains. However, 191 just over in Arizona (which we didn't do) is supposed to be outstanding. We had the truck... no bike, and camped at the KOA in Silver city. Great place, with some great green chile breakfast burritos!

We also checked out the Lake Valley ghost town on 27, south of Hillsboro. a few nice curves between Hillsboro and Lake Valley. The ghost town has a couple of parks and recreation people that guide you through the town, and have lots of info. Great place to check out. There are also a few abandoned silver mines within view, and one actually in the town.

We also checked out the ghost town of Kelly, where you can see the old mine, but the old drunk guy that lives there now I hear will charge you a bit to take you up the mountain on his 4-wheeler... but the signs are faded, illegible, and you don't really know what you're looking at, other than the mine.

Searching for a ghost town, we went back to the VLA and headed south to Chloride on NM 52. Don't let the road number fool you... dirt road for about 50 miles to Winston and Chloride. Chloride has some of the original buildings, some neat stuff to see, but people still live around the old buildings. It was cool, but not as good as Lake Valley. If you take this road, expect to see lots of mule deer, maybe a few pronghorns as well... and cattle on the road...

The wife insists that we don't do primitive camping, so we do KOAs. The Silver City KOA was great, with good facilities, not in the middle of town, and a good base camp for touring, riding, etc. Tents, RVs, etc... and electricity at the tent sites, so you can cheat and plug in a coffee maker... I didn't have to bring the coleman coffee maker... or wait until the office opened. :clap:

Went back through White Sands National Monument and Cloudcroft. There are great motorcycle roads that I used to ride around Cloudcroft. The wife was hungry when we got there, and I knew where we went to eat on prior rides... but I grabbed the wrong one! she hated it... The Dusty Boot on 82 headed east from town center Cloudcroft. My green chile burger was good... I think that place changed hands... it was painfully slow as well, and wasn't busy.

The BEST place we used to go to was about 1/4 mile further east... Big Daddy's... it rocks! but I stopped too soon... bummer! After we ate, we rounded the curve, and I about slapped myself... THAT is the place! Oh well...

Overall, a great weekend with the wife...

I'll get a ride going soon... promise!

Mighty fine write-up of the area, BF. I'm out for this weekend as well. At least I managed some mileage Tuesday on a ride to Sea Rim State Park/Bridge City/Orange and back. I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

Have a great one! I'll get something put together for next weekend.

If there is an interest in the San Augustine / Lufkin Butt Burner redo, Ill put that together as well!

Or... a butt burner to Brenham, with 3090 included...

OR... a shorter ride closer to home!

OR... if somebody else has a route that rocks, I have no problem following!

Any input appreciated!

Bf I just did the CDR ride and rode back and spent an extra day riding my old stomping grounds in New Mexico

Last edited:
How about a ride next weekend?

With family stuff keeping me off the bike, I need to get the fiz back out!

contemplating a "short" ride, maybe 200 miles or so, or maybe another butt-burner... have one mapped out for some roads up and around Lufkin (with BBQ along the way), and the up to San Augustine and back... about 500 miles...

A butt burner to the Brenham area, including 3090 might also be in the cards...

Who is interested?

BTW... had a big deal scheduled for this weekend... that all busted ... I my need to do a short ride tomorrow.

Yep...

Looking for a ride next weekend, but ill get out tomorrow as well... no specific plan for tomorrow.

Next weekend... could be "normal" or a long ride...

Ok... the weather guessers ate saying 50% rain for saturday, but mostly in the afternoon. I'm thinking about a 4 hour ride, max... maybe meet up at flying j on 242?

Ok... I'll call it 0800 meet at flying j... and I'll have to get a route together... 50% rain forecast after 100, so I'll try to get us back to flying j before then.

I have new earplugs i need to test out... maybe i can hear the intercom with them!

Back