• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Form 130-U...more retardedness from the tax office

gixxerjasen

Wow
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
So...instead of being able to simply sign your title over to the new buyer, lookee here, now you have to sign THEIR TITLE APPLICATION!!!

I've never had to do this myself nor have a previous seller do this. When did this come into place?

Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Form 130-U) - File this form within 30 days from the sales date to apply for a new title in your name. The previous owner must sign it and write in the sales price. If you don't apply for a new title within 30 days, you will automatically be charged a $25 penalty, plus another $25 for every 30 days you're late.

Always fun when the buyer and seller aren't in the same town and didn't know about this. Figured this might save others some headache.

Seems like they change up the rules/forms/fees more than I change my socks, just to keep us guessing.

Its been like this for as long as I remember :shrug:
When I sell something I include a bill of sale and a 130-U already signed.

I've been on the other end, with no signature and I usually just "take care of it"

The state has been using that form for 10 years or so. and it really is a pain, but so is taxing a used vehicle at an assumed value when sold between private parties. Greedy Govt.......

Hrm, when I bought my last FZ1 two years ago from a guy in KC, I just told them the value it was sold at (assuming they were using the old NADA value thing) and they sent me on my way with taxes based on what I paid for the vehicle. Is it different for an out of state sale perhaps? No, didn't have to have the seller sign when I bought my DRZSM back in 08 either. I just took the signed title down to the office and they had me fill out what they wanted filled out, took my money and sent me on my way.

Been like that as long as I can remember on that form and you probably paid more than their presumptive value so nothing was changed.

Could it be an out of state thing as referenced earlier?

When I bought the out of state R1150GSA all I had was the signed title and a Bill of Sale, each with the sales price and owner/sellers signatures. Bam - Texas title issued to me from one of these little neighborhood boutique title shops.

Then, when I sold the same R1150GSA to a local Texas resident, he called me from the tax office and said he couldn't get the title changed to his name without my signature on the form. We met, I signed and all is good.

The form has been around for a long time. The penalties were new 3-4 years ago. Too many people weren't getting things transferred.

I've been signing for sellers since 96. It does suck now having to pay taxes on presumptive value instead of the real price paid.

Luckily for me, I happened to Google what I need to have when I began my current "buy and sell" craziness this year. Having the forms with you at all times takes a lot of the headache out. I've now got both a "Bill of Sale" and the Texas U-130 saved to the hard drive for quick reference. But yes - I agree - WAY TOO MUCH PAPERWORK! And this presumptive value BS - well, I paid LESS on one bike and MORE on the other because of presumptive value. And they went by these numbers even though I had documented proof of the price paid and the prices were just about exactly what Kelly Blue Book said. Crazy...

I don't buy vehicles very often, and this is only the 2nd ever from a private party. The form 130-U is listed on the back of the title itself. I figured it had to do with the new tax/value system. Guess not.

I understand the presumptive value thing. I happened to have purchased a vehicle or two for, oh, say $500 before. :mrgreen: Terribly easy system to take advantage of.

But I know for a fact that the DRZSM I bought in 2008 from a seller in Plano that I didn't need anything more than his signature on the title. For that matter, same with my Bandit 400 I bought in 2007.

Printing and signing right now P-Ratt.

The "Presumptive Value" calculator can't handle vehicles more than 20 years or so old. The VIN on my bikes was not recognized by their machine. :rider:

The tax lady couldn't find a value for my KDX when I switched the title from "off-highway use" to tagged last June. They asked me how much I had paid for it and charged tax on the sale amount.

The 130U has been around quite a while. I highly recommend printing one out and having both parties sign it when buying/selling a used bike. Don't forget to get the front of the title signed as well and be sure they sign it exactly as the title is listed. I've had them kicked if they add or forget a middle initial.
Presumptive value came in about 3-4 years ago iirc, lots of "gifts" and $500.00 motorcycles led to that.

Last edited:
Presumptive value came in about 3-4 years ago iirc, lots of "gifts" and $500.00 motorcycles led to that.

Does the presumptive value thing only come into play with unusually priced vehicles, or does every vehicle's tax value come out of their books? No percentage variable allowable?

Does the presumptive value thing only come into play with unusually priced vehicles, or does every vehicle's tax value come out of their books? No percentage variable allowable?

If the VIN of the used vehicle is recognized by the state's presumptive calculator, that calculator determines the value upon which sales tax is paid.

If I recall, you can get a lower value but only if you go to a certified appraiser or some such nonsense.

These forms have been around for a long time before presumptive value. Im always shocked when someone tells me you dont need that. Especially when the sellers name doesnt match the name on the title. Thats usually a sign that I walk away. Im under the impression that small counties have been letting it slide by without them for years.

I have a stack of 130-U's at my house as well as power of attorney(when original owner lost title) and the appraisal forms. Any motorcycle dealership can appraise motorcycles.

Titles are one area where Bruce Van Zandt's advice for dealing with bureaucrats works. Go in and ASK for the clerks help with the forms like you have all the time in the world and they are doing you a favor. Almost always they will work to give you the benefit of the doubt and let minor details pass. On the other hand go in and treat them like the whole system is screwed up and they will nail you on ever single period. Can't say it will work perfectly every time, but twice I've managed to title vehicles (a BSA and a boat) without the seller's proper signature.

and keep (your) tags whenever you sell a vehicle, no matter how much the buyer whines. :trust:

Titles are one area where Bruce Van Zandt's advice for dealing with bureaucrats works. Go in and ASK for the clerks help with the forms like you have all the time in the world and they are doing you a favor. Almost always they will work to give you the benefit of the doubt and let minor details pass. On the other hand go in and treat them like the whole system is screwed up and they will nail you on ever single period. Can't say it will work perfectly every time, but twice I've managed to title vehicles (a BSA and a boat) without the seller's proper signature.
Maybe that's it then. My two previously mentioned purchases were in Plano and Dallas and both times I went in with all my stuff in hand and they handed me the forms to fill them out and walked me through it. Dunno...but the other day was the first I've heard of it at all. And I didn't need sellers signatures for trades either, which may or may not be necessary. BTW, trades are the ultimate way to go. Stick it to the man! $5 trade fee, no extra tax!

Taxes are calculated and paid at 85% of the Presumptive Value or actual sale price, whichever is greater.......

Back