• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help needed: Wheel Bearing Removal - Jims removal tool or similar

ShafT

Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
I'm needing a little help. I have a bad bearing in the front wheel of my ZX6. I cannot get it to budge - the spacer really limits the ability to use a punch from the back side and the blind pocket remover with a slide hammer is not getting it done (but has produced a rather awesome finger injury!).

Anyone have a Jims bearing removal tool with a 25mm collett or similar tool I could borrow? While I've found one on ebay and could also buy the Pit Posse knockoff, I'd have to wait for it to arrive and for only one use I'd welcome the chance to borrow one or rent one in exchange a sixer of your favorite barley snack.

I'm in Flower Mound and will gladly traverse the DFW metroplex. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Blind hole bearing puller.. its an expanding mandril ..and a slide hammer .. really is a better "right" way to remove wheel bearings on a motorcycle .. though I admit, most times a race punch from the back side works just fine....and I'll choose that as a more efficient way if available.

OTC4581.jpg

And no, never seen or used the "Jims tool" sorry, no help there.
Looking at pics of the Jims tool, it works off the same principle as the puller above in general... just from the back side.. Should work well... but darn it's pricy.

Im a long ways away..... but if you get desperate drop me a PM

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, Eric. We'll see what I can come up with. The Jims or the Pit Posse version were created for Harley Davidson bearing removal, but rather than a slide hammer they use a collar against the hub and leverage to pull. Not sure if it is better, but may be worth a try.

Failing that, any suggestions are welcomed. Not sure how much I can heat the hub without damaging paint or heating the bearing as well but I'll defer to anyone with experience. It hasn't moved a bit in response to the slide hammer.

Should I go after it with the heat gun?

I have the Pit Posse version but I'm down in Ennis. It works great, I've used it on several wheels and swing arm bearings.

To close the loop, I ended up buying the Pit Posse VT102 (Jims knock off). It is a great tool and those bearings were never coming out without a bridge-type puller. Not sure if the interior of the hub was supposed to be painted, but it was and much of it had come off and clumped in around the bearings. They're free now, but not without much effort and creative language. The hub is clean and ready for new bearings.

Thanks for the offers to help.

You may want to slot your spacer for next time.

The problem with the old style spacers is that they're basically a solid pipe. They fit in on the inner race and cover most of it up. When you go to use a punch to knock it out, there's not enough bearing to strike against. Modern spacers include a slot on one end. This lets you put the punch in the slot and get a bigger bite of the inner race.

One slot is usually all you need. Once you knock the bearing loose a little, you should be able to spin the spacer around to knock bearing out evenly the rest of the way. Once the first bearing is out, you remove the spacer, so you don't any slots on the other end.

Back