• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

99 KLR blowing main fuse

Rigid

Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Last Name
Turner
I am pretty new at this, I have a KLR 650 it is blowing the 20 amp fuse I did replace the fuse holder with a blade fuse, Lights and turns will act funny, but the bike will still run, everything I read says the bike should die, but both times I was able to ride home. The 15 amp fuse is not blowing. Any thoughts or directions would be appreciated

I have a 2008 that blew the primary fuse continuously. The entire bike was dead. I was at a loss so I just started tracing wires. After much effort I found a wire that was shorting out against the frame. I’ll see if I can find some pictures for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My apologies. After reading your post again, you clearly have a different issue than what I had but if I were a betting man, I would bet that it’s a wire that is shorting out due to rubbing against the frame.

My apologies. After reading your post again, you clearly have a different issue than what I had but if I were a betting man, I would bet that it’s a wire that is shorting out due to rubbing against the frame.

And probably under seat pan area.

And probably under seat pan area.
The same thing happened to me, and when I investigated I found a wire that was swinging a little wide from where it should have been and getting pinched between the seat pan and the frame. I fixed and relocated that wire and it has been trouble free for years now.

Well I pulled the seat and tank, didn't find anything that I believe was shorting out, I did put some of the plastic conduit around the main wiring harness where I could, I do not believe it is in the lights or the lights wiring because have not blown the 10 amp fuse. I guess I will drive and see what happens.

Does the fuse blow in correspondance with a known action (turning on the key, hitting bumps, turning on lights, etc) or is it sporadic?

I haven't been able to tell, because the bike continues to run, which is good because I am not broke down on the side of the road. The only way to tell while riding is the lights and blinkers act strange, but I do want to try a few things like go down a dirt road stretch then stop and check the fuse.

Go back to where you started. WHY did you modify the wiring for a blade fuse holder? Look at ALL the wires you modified, AND touched. As Bill said, close inspection of wiring is needed. Good luck!

I have ridden about 4 or 5 times now once about 5 miles on dirt road, have not blown a fuse, possibly I fixed with the plastic conduit, but I would really like to have found it, but I will keep a watch. Thanks for your input.

I had a problem line that with a 2007 found a wire pinched between the rear fender and frame that wore through and shorted on the frame.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back