• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Learning to use the Nikon D7000

So the only way to do this is with an off camera flash using a remote trigger? What kind of settings do you use on the flash?

Tim,
Technology has changed a lot over the years. IF his camera supports high-speed sync, using an off-camera flash can go wayyyyy higher than 1/320th without the clipping problem. As an example, I've run 1/8000th of a second with off-camera flash. :eek2:

So, I'm stuck in the 80s. You should see my CD collection. :mrgreen:

See if your body has the "Commander" function under the Flash/Bracketing menu options.... If it does, I think the SB-28 can act as a remote.

In this mode, the camera drives the flash units by line of sight. I don't know much about the SB-28 (if it has TTL or not as that's how it works). If that's not possible, then a trigger and receiver like the CactusV I think would be needed.

I'm really winging it here......

The D7000 can be setup as a commander. I'm not sure about the SB-28 either, but if it accepts iTTL, you can trigger it using the popup flash on your D7000. If it doesn't work with iTTL, then yes, you will need triggers.

But... most triggers are only capable of sync speeds of up to 1/200th or sometimes 1/250th. That is my limiting factor on my setup. I do wish I could do high speed sync, but then I think of the cost of a new body, and the cost of Nikon branded flashes, and then I am all of a sudden good with 1/200th...LOL

:tab So... I now have an SB-700 flash to use with the camera. This flash will work with the camera's "Commander mode", which is the wireless system for controlling an off camera flash. Now, what is interesting and I DID NOT find out until AFTER I got the flash, is that to trigger the off camera flash, the built in flash still fires. Supposedly it only fires a "pre flash" and not a full flash and thus should not affect the exposure. But it does if you are doing up close shooting. Apparently it will still work though if you cover the pop up flash.

:tab Anyway, now I get to figure out how to make it all work. Already I like the skin tones just from getting the flash off the camera!

Get a little soft box or make one if you really want to see a difference.

As for thr preflash, it has zero effect on the end image. It sends out the flash, analyzes the image and fires accordingly. You can really see it work at say 1/4 second shutterspeed. Pop of the preflash and the distinct flash later.

I think the preflash actually occurs in 1/10,000th of a second

To my knowledge, you can turn off the pop up flash completely, or at least turn it way down so if you are shooting something up close it will not effect your image. Can't remember the exact menu setting, but I think it's above where you turn your on your Commander Mode.

Coming home from work the other day, I spied a beautiful horse in a pasture of knee high cream colored grass. The low evening sun was at that perfect height where everything was lit and glowing, especially that field of grass. So I grabbed the camera bag on the way out the door this morning hoping that I might get lucky and see the same scene this evening. Well... I did not get out of the office in time to have that "golden hour" lighting. Instead, just up from the driveway in an open pasture I spotted about 11-12 deer grazing. I grabbed the camera just to see how the 18-200mm would do with the fading light and long distance shots. The deer were maybe 150-200 feet from me and I was behind some thick bushes on the fence line, but they knew I was there and stomped their feet and huffed and puffed.

deer1.jpg

deer2.jpg

:tab I was a little darker than it looks in the images. Thanks to the high ISO and noise reduction magic, the camera did great. I ran these through LR4 and tweaked them a bit. They were both shot hand held with the VR turned on. If I had more time I would have grabbed the 70-300mm, but they got tired of me and started wandering away toward the woods. I was surprised not to see a buck or two with racks. Usually when I see this many at one time there are some present.

Back