• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Canon introductory body/lens - kit?

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Friend of mine is wanting an introductory DSLR. Her preference is Canon at the moment due in part to the fact she has some Canon film body's and glass. Although I'm not sure exactly what glass she has (or if it's compatible with digital yet) I figured I'd ping the Canon hive mind and see what's out there.

She's a beginner, so whatever the entry model is is probably good. I think there's a Rebel T2? and 18-55 or so? No real shooting style or focus has been defined either but I do know her budget is very limited at this time.

Anybody with experience with these, please chime in.... or a recommendation on an entry level Canon DSLR would be appreciated.

TIA.

I got the T2i (EOS Rebel 450D) a couple years ago with 18-55 and 55-250 kit and really "needed" nothing else.

I've been asked this question many many times, and very seldom do i recommend a DSLR, unless the user already has some knowledge of manual settings on the DSLR. 99% of the time DSLR users will shoot in Auto mode, totally negating the advantages of owning a DSLR, combine that with the fact that now they have to tote around a larger body camera, lens, extra lens and suddenly that DSLR just becomes a complete pain in the butt. More often than not they will end up shooting with a cel phone due to the inconvenience\quality ratio of the DSLR.

Therefore my recommendation is the Canon G15 or current G model. This camera allows the user access to all the features of a DSLR, including the ever popular Auto mode without the added hassle of a DSLR. Its small enough to carry around all day and takes AMAZING photos. As a professional photographer this camera is the camera of choice for me on vacations.

....i think i just made a 99% of dentists recommend Crest commercial :lol2:

www.charrobenteau.com

Scott,

The Canon T2 was the entry level unit but it was replaced by the T3 in Feb 2011. It usually comes bundled with an 18-55 image stabilized kit lens (the same kit lens Canon has bundled with its Rebel series of cameras for several years). The 12 meg sensor is probably the same as the one Canon had in the XSi. If so, it's a really good sensor, with fine image quality up to 800 ISO. At higher ISO the images get quite noisy though. Overall I think it is a competitive entry level unit.

That being said the Canon T2i is likely the better bargain right now. It has the 18 meg sensor that is in Canon's flagship 7D. Overall it will be a better unit than the T3. It came out in Aug 2010 and newer units from Canon have driven its price down to about only $100 more than the T3. In their 2012 end of year issue Pop Photo picked it as one of the best values in cameras available now.

Well, here's what she sent for gear currently owned...

Canon A-1 body
Canon fd 50mm 1:1.4
Access p-mc 1:2.8 t=28mm wide-auto ø49 macro no. 8206223
tou/five star mc auto macro zoom lens no. K8451116 1:4.5 75-20mm 52ø)

Canon EOS Rebel x s body
Canon zoom lens ef 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 iii ø52mm
Canon zoom lens ef 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 iii

Now I need to figure out what this stuff is (the Canon lenses) and if it works on a digi-body...

I doubt if the EOS lenses will be compatible, and downright AMAZED if the the A1 lenses are. If the mount is the same - and it probably is - They'll shoot, but the auto features won't work. No auto focus, no auto exposure settings.

Then again, if she shoots with those old lenses, that's one way to learn about speed, aperture, and focus.

The A1 was a seriously good camera in its day.

I've got nothing to add here, but have to say you're a really good friend. Always trying to help others. :clap: :thumb:

Thx Kory....

What I THINK I've learned is, the Canon DSLR bodies are all part of the EOS family. And with that, the mounts for the FD and EF lenses are different than the EOS mounts.

But B&H has an adapter that bridges the mounting differences (and adds 1.25x) so you lose some light in the neighborhood of a stop to do so.

What I still haven't determined is if the auto-focus and metering functions will work with both the FD and EF lenses. Also, from what I gather, the EF lenses were the first Electronic-Focus series for Canon, so there might be a glimmer of hope.

I shoot Canon, and if the glass is not L the CA is significant for most pixel-poppers. I have a efs17-85is (and a few other non-l lenses) on an old 20d body, and the CA has ruined a few high contrast shots.

EF lenses should work with all EOS bodies although there may be a conversion factor depending on the sensor size. FD lenses are for manual bodies only(F1, A1, AE1, etc) and will not mount to an EOS body(Rebel T2, etc.) without some sort of adapter. Manual focusing would be frustrating without the split prism focusing screen. Also consider that the loss of light would be up to 2 stops.

If $$ wasn't so tight for her, I'd just recommend an entry level Rebel T3/18-55mm kit for about $450. She could probably sell both film kits for $200 total, so her out of pocket would be about $250.

I think by taking the older glass (which is standard for the most part) and trying to "make it work" is mixing system technology and the results will be less than expected. AND she would have to pony up the $150 for the adapter just to see if it worked.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's what she needs to do. Sell the film gear and put it towards the new technology.

EF lenses should work with all EOS bodies although there may be a conversion factor depending on the sensor size. FD lenses are for manual bodies only(F1, A1, AE1, etc) and will not mount to an EOS body(Rebel T2, etc.) without some sort of adapter. Manual focusing would be frustrating without the split prism focusing screen. Also consider that the loss of light would be up to 2 stops.

So I take away from the above the EF lenses should mount up to an EOS Rebel T3 body and have total auto-focus and metering functionality?

And the FD lenses are relegated to the closet with the A1 body OR purchase of the adapter which introduces it's own set of problems?

I've got an AE1 with several lenses sitting in a bag where it's been for years. None of the lenses fit on any of the EOS I've had. I've had a T2i since they came out, it is a great little camera. The price is way down on it from what I paid. It would be fine for an intro camera.

So I take away from the above the EF lenses should mount up to an EOS Rebel T3 body and have total auto-focus and metering functionality?

And the FD lenses are relegated to the closet with the A1 body OR purchase of the adapter which introduces it's own set of problems?

Yep.

Back