• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gearshift Shortening Procedure

I'm thinking about making a new shift lever with a dog leg on the rear of the lever to gain a little more boot clearance while leaving it the same lenght as stock.

I may even see if I can pick up a stock lever and heat and bend the rear of the lever to get extra clearance I want, then machine up a new aluminum lever to match it, or maybe just paint the stock lever black.

If I do end up making a custom billet shift lever, I will diffinately add a bronze bushing for the pivot. :rider:

I'm thinking about making a new shift lever with a dog leg on the rear of the lever to gain a little more boot clearance while leaving it the same lenght as stock.

I may even see if I can pick up a stock lever and heat and bend the rear of the lever to get extra clearance I want, then machine up a new aluminum lever to match it, or maybe just paint the stock lever black.

If I do end up making a custom billet shift lever, I will diffinately add a bronze bushing for the pivot. :rider:

Do you want just the shifting part of the assy or the whole thing with linkage and trans lever? I'll probably never put the one I just took off back on again unless I fall and break something. :mrgreen:

Do you want just the shifting part of the assy or the whole thing with linkage and trans lever? I'll probably never put the one I just took off back on again unless I fall and break something. :mrgreen:

I appreciate the offer, but maybe you should hang on to just in case you ever need a spare. :rider:

Well I was bored so I pulled my shift lever off and accurately measured the distances between the three differant point on the lever and drew it up in Inventor.

Now using this as a base line model I can easily position the new location of the peg where I want it on the new lever, and this is just the initial mock up of the shift lever so there will be some changes to it.

Stay tuned. :rider:

26e330ba759c2cc76139785b2707d9850_large.jpg

hmmmmm looks the same as the picture of mine.
I took my freshly adjusted shift lever out for an eighty mile loop this noonish and it's just right for me now.

OK, old thread, I know. But I just failed twice trying to do this:eek2:. First time, 15/64 hole didn't leave enough meat for the 1/4-20 tap to cut threads. Or the drill bit wobbled. Probably both. Decided to use my backup shifter and this time use a 7/32 bit since it is 1/64 smaller. Well, bit floated down a couple mm and now the 5/64 pilot hole is oblong and too close to the bottom :headbang::pound::angryfire:puke:. SIGH. Buying another shifter on fleabay and leaving it stock. Putting the pegs back up to knee torture.
I need a drill press.....:duck:

Mike, In my set up , there is no threading. Just a hole and cut a piece of tubing to act as a spacer on the bolt. Then just pushed the rubber guard over every thing.

I didn't thread the hole when I shortened mine. I took the cheater method with locknuts on both sides and torqued it down. So far 1500-2000 miles, no problem.

jyPsNmml.jpg

I know it looks crappy, but I purposely left meat on there. I'll probably just weld the stock peg on the lever in place of the hole:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85787

Nothing wrong about how you do it. As long as it works for you. ;-) llllllll

I know that this is an old thread, but this is the subject that caught my attention when I first browsed the forum. The leg room on my 2007 Bandit 1250 is one of the few faults I can find with an otherwise great bike. After reading this thread I went to the garage and started tinkering with the pegs, and linkage and to my surprise, and a moment of "Duh! Why didn't I think of doing that?", the pegs are flipped, adjustments made on the linkage, and wow, what a difference. Didn't have to shorten the shift lever I'm pleased to say, and the brake lever adjusted to just where it needed to be. You guys are pretty smart. Thanks:rider::clap::thumb:

............I guess I can't claim ignorance - about the pics that is- but the turth is that um, uh, uah, well the thing is that I uh, had the pics, but on the way to the forum, the wind blew them out of my grasp, and then there was wind and it started raining, then it got dark, and then this big black dog with red eyes ran out from the bushes and , um ate them. Yeah that's what happened a dog ate them..............not buyin' it huh? Well there was this gang of guys in cars and trucks and stuff, and they stopped me and said......"Kid whata ya doin' with them pictures?" Or no, there was this bright flash in the sky, yeah that's it, and this big shiny round thing that didn't make any sound landed and made a bunch of crop circles and stuff and this bunch of short gray guys with big eyes and one tall one that looked just like Leonard Nimrod jumped out and stole them.........

Well, I guess you know what happened then. I jumped on my trusty red
Bandit - with the freshly flipped pegs and reposisitioned levers - and hauled my six outta there............. right after I swallowed the Chicklet them critters gave me...........they also robbed me of my digital camera:eek2: OMG! I think what they really wanted was my bike. Sure glad that's over with.:eat:

c

Even though I don't need something like this since I have my custom foot peg brackets, I'm finally going to make up one of these adjustable position shift levers and see if there's anyone that might want to try it out.

The shift lever peg will be adjustable anywhere between the stock position to 1 3/4" inches in, which will easily allow you to not only adjust the position of the shift lever peg if you've lowered the pegs, but to adjust the lever to compensate for different size riding boots. ;-)

Adjustableshiftlever_zps801dc736.jpg

I'm right at that point now, I just flipped the pegs. Time to mod to shift lever.
And I need to send a rear brake bracket to you for modification.

2007 Bandit and several pairs of boots/shoes
b

Can't wait to see!!

Well here you go Mike.

The adjustable shift lever is finished, and I'm just deciding on whether to polish or powder coat it in a silver metallic. I have a new stock shift lever rubber on order which I should get on Tuesday, then I can finish making the special peg for it that will adjust along the slot in the lever.

I also have to order up a new left hand thread rod end from McMaster Carr that will screw onto the end of the stock shift linkage rod, and replace the stock rod end that's permanently attached to the stock shift lever. So this will be a completely plug and play installation, and all you'll have to do is remove the shift lever rubber from your stock shift lever and install it on the new adjustable peg. Mike is going to try it out with his lowered stock foot pegs and his size 14 boots. :)

001_zpsdf889bf9.jpg

004_zps6911c981.jpg

Shiftlinkagerodend_zps1441e712.jpg

Yeah. That is fantastic!

I see no reason why you can't just leave this one raw. Since it is a prototype. Silver powder coat seems like a good base finish. Maybe offer polish as an option.

Did you think anymore on getting a solid washer/spacer like on the brake pedal pivot instead of that weird wave spring washer thing on the shifter pivot?

Back