• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

April 2018 Bend’er

The group looks to be about 5’ish strong. Thats a good size, and we would like to make plans in advance and not last minute changes. Thats why we want to mention the dangeriously hot weather forecast. Have you ridden for a few hours in 100°+ temperatures? How about the possability of fixing a flat or worse?

To me those temps would not be fun. But if we commit to endure — then the plan of attack will most likely be shorter rides, leaving ugly-dark-early to make it off the dirt by noon’ish. Then easy ride back to camp.

I will be checking with my employer today about the flexability option.

And the forecast is NOW ~90ish for the original dates and rain for the proposed dates.

:headbang:

And the forecast is NOW ~90ish for the original dates and rain for the proposed dates.

I feel your pain; can’t make the weather. But you are correct about the forecasted temps for origional week of the 18th dropping. I can do low 90°’s and rain is no fun for sure. Although the amount is only .04-.07” over a 2 hour period.

So keep our fingers crossed for continuing favorable forecast & we should be able to committ to dates on 4-11.

I had to commit today.

Have fun and take pics.

I'll be bringing Tex ...

2009_XR650L_02-X2.jpg

I have a rotopax for fuel capacity and pelican case for water and toolage.

I'm an old man ... so you kids will have to be very
Glad I'm going the weekend before ya'll. Because after seeing the Mitchntx ride, I'd hate to be embarrassed the whole time. He's got a real cutie on his hands.
072486bc36f1e4da3d9f9add7a882490.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's the plan as long as our boss shows back up from his surgery by Thursday. ?
Myself and curdogcox on his Super Sherpa.
We're gonna try to do one day in the State Park as well.

Mind if I tag along?
If I can swing it?

What dates are we talking?

Doesn't bother me, unless you ride fast, cause we suck. Lol.
Leave the 13th and return the 16th.
I'll ask curdog, it's his truck.
Our m.o. is riding 12 hour days. Hit somewhere for dinner. Throw out some tent cots wherever we land and repeat.

LOL ... I may be old, but I'm slow.

Next week is my duty week and am required to stay within a 60 minute response window.
Let me see about swapping duty with someone and then taking Monday off.

As for the XR ... its just an old thumper ...

Weather seems to have stabilized so Randy & I are committing to proceed on the original schedule (18-21). Please respond if you will be part of the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, yall sound like my kind of riders. I'd love to go back, but I have an employee that is taking off for family emergency leave those days and the week after.

Next time let me know.

I am in. Got permission to borrow the car to trailer down as long as I don't break it.:rofl: She's still upset about the parts that fell off the pickup on my last trip down there. I'll need to know where I can meet you at camp before I leave. I don't have GPS or smartphone.

Hey Shooter... Nice job getting your kitchen pass for the trailer! But... How the heck is the government going to track you without a cell phone?

Fred and I moved to Chisos Mining hotel, heading over on Wednesday. I need to sync with Freedom Rider, as he may ride to meet me and put his bike on my trailer for the 7 hours from San Antonio to BB. That will determine my ETA in Terlingua, but it will be sometime between afternoon and evening of Wednesday 4/18.

I am still trying to cancel my camping at Rancho Topanga. (They haven't answered when I've called.) If anyone wants to take over my reservation, holler soon. I put down a $40 on it.

Man, yall sound like my kind of riders. I'd love to go back, but I have an employee that is taking off for family emergency leave those days and the week after.

Sounds like you need to take sympothy time off. You know to show employee support. :clap:

I am certainly disappointed I won't be there.
You fellers be safe and take lots of pics.

PSA ... while temps will be in the low 90s, it appears, the wind will be terrible ... gusts to 30mph.

Be very, very careful and stay hydrated. high temps, low humidity and wind will dry you out like a bath towel. I think the recommended intake is a gallon of water per day. And remember, caffeine is a diuretic.

I am certainly disappointed I won't be there.
You fellers be safe and take lots of pics.

PSA ... while temps will be in the low 90s, it appears, the wind will be terrible ... gusts to 30mph.

Be very, very careful and stay hydrated. high temps, low humidity and wind will dry you out like a bath towel. I think the recommended intake is a gallon of water per day. And remember, caffeine is a diuretic.
Mitch, is it too late to change your mind again and join in the fun?

I'm itching to get there... Wish I could leave right now.

Yeah ... afraid so.

I'm headed to my hunting lease in Johnson City next weekend.

Freedom Rider and I will be trailering from San Antonio Wednesday, ETA ~1800h.

Maybe we can have dinner around 1900?

Freedom Rider and I will be trailering from San Antonio Wednesday, ETA ~1800h.

Maybe we can have dinner around 1900?

Randy & I made it to Big Bend and are planning breakfast @ 8 Chili Peper Cafe. Ride soon to follow. All welcome to join.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back