TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
TrialRun

Hi - New Member in Katy

Joined last night as I was signing up for the MexTrek in October. I have spent most of my time riding outside of Texas, since I like mountains. But it looks like I'm missing out in my home State. I've written up our past rides on the Adventure Rider site (www.advrider.com) under the same name, TrialRun. The blog is "Life Outside The Box." I'm not going to repost those here.

I started out with a 2007 Heritage Classic. Here we are in the Black Hills:

Later, I decided to do dirt/gravel and bought a used DR650. Started with this:

And morphed it into this (Picture in Arivaca, AZ just north of the Mexican border):

Normally wouldn't have so much piled up on the back. But I had the Wolfman side bags pulled in too tight against the muffler the day before and almost burned the whole thing up.

Had trouble with the DR in parts of Moab (wrong tool for the job - too heavy in the deeper sand for me with my abilities(or lack thereof)). Ended up with a bad wrist and a broken rib(two separate crashes). So came home and bought a TW200 for exploring around (picture outside of Red River, NM):

So that's where we are now. A HD for when Mrs. TR comes along, a DR for me to go on Class 1 and 2 rides and a TW for anything (you just do it slower). Normally, we travel across the country in our pickup/Alaskan camper and pull the bikes to a central location:

If she's with me, we do mostly road rides. If alone, I don't take the HD at all and take the DR and TW and stay on the dirt/gravel as much as possible.

Looking forward to riding in Texas/Mexico some.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Re: Hi - New Member in Katy

Welcome to the site, try to join the the lone Wednesday night riders @ Katy Bike Night.

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12)
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
TrialRun

Camilo - Thanks. I will do that. I just subscribed to the thread.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Welcome!

You might enjoy Big Bend in March with us.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115671

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Welcome to the site!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
jdsmetx

Howdy neighbor!
I live in Cypress and ride this area often. These folks here at TWT put on great rides and fun to ride with! Glad to see a fellow DR650 rider too!
Welcome!!

DR650 "Donkey"
DL1000 "Thunder" (gone but not forgotten)
KTM 1090R Adventure "Jacks"
jdsmetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
julimike54

& enjoy!
Old 12-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Welcome from the Southwest contingent.

I'm guessing you saw plenty of illegals and/or Border Patrol when you were in the Arivaca area.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
TrialRun

Texas T - Thanks, and yes, Border Patrol seems to be the biggest business in the area.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
OSnapWR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc View Post
Welcome to the site, try to join the the lone Wednesday night riders @ Katy Bike Night.
More information?
OSnapWR250R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #11
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSnapWR250R View Post
More information?
http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112652

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 01-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
KZ Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSnapWR250R View Post
More information?
New thread for 2018 "Katy Bike Night": http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116264

Hopefully, we will start getting more bikes than cars again, and Bob will change thread name from "Car Night" back to "Bike Night".

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
2013 Honda CRF250L
2012 Harley Davidson XR1200X
KZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #13
KZ Rider

Welcome, Greg. Come join us this Wednesday at Marini's, if you can. See link in above post.

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
2013 Honda CRF250L
2012 Harley Davidson XR1200X
KZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #14
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZ Rider View Post
New thread for 2018 "Katy Bike Night": http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116264

Hopefully, we will start getting more bikes than cars again, and Bob will change thread name from "Car Night" back to "Bike Night".
Did not see that! I have changed the title of the thread

Quote:

Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #15
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

"Car night" just doesn't have the same zing as "bike night "...

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote