TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
MacJohn

Howzit! Salutations from the land of The Big 5

Greetings to all TWT

Came upon the TWT forum while looking for bikes on the line. I will be relocating to Dallas early next year and am currently investigating whether to import my South-African 1150 GSA, or simply sell it here and get a new one in the US. Seems more difficult than I thought.

Look forward to rubbing some shoulders with y'all.

Below, photographic evidence of my esteemed Peeg and I, having a little difference of opinion.

PS: For those not afraid to wander among the Big 5, here is our largest bike forum in South-Africa: http://www.wilddog.za.net/
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20130826-WA0000.jpg  
MacJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:53 AM   #2
julimike54
Forum Supporter

Re: Howzit! Salutations from the land of The Big 5

& enjoy!
Old 12-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Welcome!

We have at least one other South Africaner (sp?) on the forum. (Calling Shovelhead)

Let us know when you arrive in Tejas!

Now I’m going to check out this wild dog forum...

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
copb8
Forum Supporter

Welcome.

I lived in Amanzimtoti from 68 to 79. Beautiful party of the world.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
09 KTM 400 XC-W Plated
copb8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
tshelfer

Welcome to the other hemisphere.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated
'72 Yamaha RT3 endure - sold
tshelfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Welcome!
mitchntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Welcome to the site!

Unless you are just REALLY attached to your current GS, I would sell it there and get a new one here. If you shop around, you can find really good deals on GSs that are already nicely farkled with relatively low miles.

When will you be arriving?

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #8
cdc
Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum, to the USA and to Texas!
Agree on getting a bike here, plenty good deals, not only on this forum, but in the region.

ⓒⓓⓒ
'13 BMW K1600GT (Apr 5/13)
'12 BMW K1600GT (Gone Nov. 16/12): http://goo.gl/7YMaHq
'06 Yamaha FJR 1300AE-Sold
'04 Suzuki SV650-Sold
'82 Suzuki 500GS-Sold
'78 Yamaha SR500-Sold
cdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:53 AM   #9
MacJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay View Post
Welcome!

We have at least one other South Africaner (sp?) on the forum. (Calling Shovelhead)

Let us know when you arrive in Tejas!

Now I’m going to check out this wild dog forum...
There are a few South-Africans (called Saffers) in Texas and the US that I am aware of. So, looking forward to meeting some locals and fellow Saffers when I arrive.

The Wilddog Forum is very similar in format to TWT, although a bit more expanded in some areas. I have made some good friends there, among the bike riding gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copb8 View Post
Welcome.

I lived in Amanzimtoti from 68 to 79. Beautiful party of the world.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I currently stay about 1hr's drive north of Amanzomtoti, in the same province (state) - the province of Kwazulu-Natal. Beautiful place, although Amanzimtoti has gone backward over the years with newer developments elsewhere. What did you do back here, back then copb8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Welcome to the site!

Unless you are just REALLY attached to your current GS, I would sell it there and get a new one here. If you shop around, you can find really good deals on GSs that are already nicely farkled with relatively low miles.

When will you be arriving?
That is about the long and short from what I hear - I am attached to this peeg of mine, but it seems the paperwork is simply too much.

Got initial approval for my visa about two weeks ago, just waiting for the paperwork to be processed here in SA, then I will resign and hop on a plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc View Post
Welcome to the forum, to the USA and to Texas!
Agree on getting a bike here, plenty good deals, not only on this forum, but in the region.
Thanks cdc. I worked on US farms from 2002-2004 in Kansas, Texans and South-Dakota. Was a good experience and I met a lot of good people. I loved the place and looking forward to calling it my home once again, although Africa runs very strongly in my veins.

Maybe I get to meet some you in the near future and help you correct your wayward BBQ practices!

Last edited by MacJohn; 12-31-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:20 AM   #10
jfink
Forum Supporter

Welcome to the site. Will you bring me some Pinotage?

'04 Goldwing (all states, except Hawaii, all provinces except Nunavut)
'08 KLR 650 (685 Kit)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive

Where I have ridden
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:45 AM   #11
MacJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
Welcome to the site. Will you bring me some Pinotage?
I see somebody knows something about SA

I found it difficult to locate SA wines in the US stores and if you do find them they are horrendously expensive. Saw a bottle in Dallas for $48, while the same bottle sells in SA for less than $4. Crazy. A friend of mine in New York has her own restaurant (a fellow South-African) and she told me that the import taxes are a lot higher for SA wines than other countries, due to different trade agreements.

Will see if I can slip in a bottle of pinotage next time as I have in-laws in Austin and Houston.

Last edited by MacJohn; 12-31-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:54 AM   #12
MacJohn

Or you can order from this website - they deliver to the US. They dont have nearly all the SA wines we have, but I guess it is a start. They also stock SA beers:

https://sabestwine.com/

If you like sweet stuff and see this bottle on a shelf, do yourself a favor and grab it, Amarula IS that good:
Attached Thumbnails
113a209a70e980fa618b3e548486042b--amarula-your-favorite.jpg  
Old 12-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #13
copb8
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJohn View Post
I currently stay about 1hr's drive north of Amanzomtoti, in the same province (state) - the province of Kwazulu-Natal. Beautiful place, although Amanzimtoti has gone backward over the years with newer developments elsewhere. What did you do back here, back then copb8?
I'm originally from the states (New Hampshire) but lived there from 9 to 19. Almost 40 years ago Amanzimtoti was an amazing place to grow up but I'm sure a lot has changed now. Living almost anywhere in Natal (the Garden Province) would be beautiful.

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
09 KTM 400 XC-W Plated
copb8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #14
jfink
Forum Supporter

I have a friend from South Africa who has brought back some amazing bottles in the past. In Texas, we have Specs, which arguably has the most comprehensive selection, but obviously missing many of the 'best'. I find, even here locally, some of the best wines and beers never make it out of the winery or brewery. SOOOO ... you must travel and sample to know what you are missing. RIDE -> DRINK -> SLEEP repeat!

'04 Goldwing (all states, except Hawaii, all provinces except Nunavut)
'08 KLR 650 (685 Kit)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive

Where I have ridden
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:59 PM   #15
RedPill

Welcome! I was blessed to visit South Africa in 2004. I even got to hunt a bit. A beautiful country with great people. I'd love to go back.
RedPill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #16
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Interesting that the discussion has turned to libations. I visited DRC, then known as Zaire (mid '90's). Enjoyed a wonderful bourgelais wine there. I remember it to this day but have never found it stateside.

PS, I visited wild dog forum and immediately got caught up in someone's story of immigrating to the US. Good stuff.

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:27 AM   #17
MacJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by copb8 View Post
I'm originally from the states (New Hampshire) but lived there from 9 to 19. Almost 40 years ago Amanzimtoti was an amazing place to grow up but I'm sure a lot has changed now. Living almost anywhere in Natal (the Garden Province) would be beautiful.
Things are starting to pick up again with new developments to the north of Durban - many people now choose to "semi-grate" from Johannesburg's crazy city life (Gauteng province) to Durban's relaxed coastal area. The property prices reflect that very clearly, although it's still very cheap when viewed in US$. Cape Town has simply gotten too expensive with all the people semigrating down there the last two decades and they have SERIOUS SERIOUS drought problems at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
I have a friend from South Africa who has brought back some amazing bottles in the past. In Texas, we have Specs, which arguably has the most comprehensive selection, but obviously missing many of the 'best'. I find, even here locally, some of the best wines and beers never make it out of the winery or brewery. SOOOO ... you must travel and sample to know what you are missing. RIDE -> DRINK -> SLEEP repeat!
Thanks for the Specs' link - just asked SWAMBO and she is familiar with it. Will most certainly check them out next time I am in Dallas. We have the same problem here - the best produce gets shipped abroad due to higher prices paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPill View Post
Welcome! I was blessed to visit South Africa in 2004. I even got to hunt a bit. A beautiful country with great people. I'd love to go back.
RedPill, where and what did you hunt? There is a big variety to choose from, that is for sure. Was nice to see all the African deer on the wall when I went to Cabelas last year. Nothing like the African bush with a good wood fire and the night noises surrounding you. Not to mention that good wood fire smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay View Post
Interesting that the discussion has turned to libations. I visited DRC, then known as Zaire (mid '90's). Enjoyed a wonderful bourgelais wine there. I remember it to this day but have never found it stateside.

PS, I visited wild dog forum and immediately got caught up in someone's story of immigrating to the US. Good stuff.
Africa is crazy wonderful place and will give you surprises, pleasant and unpleasant I reckon Its a place that holds your heart ransom.

I assume you saw Mr Zog's thread on Wilddogs, when he moved from SA to Florida a few years ago. He is a hard worker that is fo'sho! A nice read if you have the time to start at the beginning. There is another Wilddog in Canada, also sharing his experiences of life in the Great White North. Good to see how they adapt, start from the bottom and make life happen.

Last edited by MacJohn; 01-01-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #18
RedPill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJohn View Post
RedPill, where and what did you hunt? There is a big variety to choose from, that is for sure. Was nice to see all the African deer on the wall when I went to Cabelas last year. Nothing like the African bush with a good wood fire and the night noises surrounding you. Not to mention that good wood fire smell.
We hunted near Thabazimbi. My boss and I were there for a class training ESCOM on some powerline inspection software our company produced. He's a hunter, too, and he said he was thinking of taking a few days to hunt antelope (African deer). I'd been dreaming of doing that for years. So we took a few days. It was summer, but what the heck. I took an antelope, a wildebeest cow, and a really good bushbuck. I didn't want a wildebeest mount, but I wanted a rug. Did I mention it was summer? The pelt was very thin on my rug. It was a great experience. I passed on a kudu because a) I have 8 foot ceilings, and b) we weren't sure we could get it before dark. Turns out it would have fallen just about on the road. No worries. My boss took a kudu, a waterbuck, and two antelope.

I love seeing the mounts at Cabelas, too.
RedPill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #19
MacJohn

Man, Thabazimbi is a real furnace in the summer - I did a small project up there in 2008, so I felt the strain - nothing unlike certain parts of Texas, just without the well insulated & air conditioned houses. That is real bushveld though, beautiful when it gets decent summer rain and everything just turns green.

You guys shot quite a few bokke (Afrikaans for deer), well done. Have a few friends that hunt regularly and the one guy also shot a wildebees and made us some awesome boerewors (sausage) from it. Kudu makes for some spectacular biltong (kinda beef jerky). Ahhhh, this is giving me craving for meat now

Check out the following:

Biltong (beef jerky):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

Droeewors (dry sausage)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dro%C3%ABwors

That stuff is worth gold! I will post a pic of my biltong cutter.

PS: I know there is an ex-South-African in Houston that makes, sells and ships biltong & droeewors. I have not tried his meat yet so cant comment on it:

http://4biltong.com
Attached Thumbnails
Droeewors.jpg   Biltong.jpg   Sliced biltong.jpg  

Last edited by MacJohn; 01-01-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #20
MacJohn

My biltong cutter:
Attached Thumbnails
20180101_165236.jpg