TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > For Sale / Wanted

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #9061
jsb223
 
jsb223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Waco, Texas USA
Posts: 2,223
Re: The Craigslist Thread

https://waco.craigslist.org/mcy/d/19...351671875.html
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #9062
jetdr21
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: cowtown
Posts: 935
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Nice...
jetdr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #9063
philipbarrett
 
philipbarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,051
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb223 View Post
Not $3,500 nice. And certainly not a museum piece.

I'm going with cute, fun, retro & $1,600 max.
__________________
"El piloto que se levanta es aún más grande que el piloto que no ha caido."

2010 BMW F800GS "Buck"
2002 KTM 300EXC
2015 Husqvarna FE501S
1975 Honda CB400F
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #9064
jetdr21
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: cowtown
Posts: 935
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post
Not $3,500 nice. And certainly not a museum piece.

I'm going with cute, fun, retro & $1,600 max.
Correct, on the $1600 max..
jetdr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #9065
humanrace
 
humanrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 1,887
Re: The Craigslist Thread

$1600 is still more than it cost new.

I was in University Cycles Yamaha in 1980 when one was pushed across the street from the campus of Texas A&M. The student said he had ridden to school that morning and it wouldn't start when he got ready to go home. The mechanic explained that they were about to close, but he could leave it overnight and they could probably fix it the next day. The student said, "if I gave you $20 would you look at it today?" The mechanic double checked that the bike had been ridden that morning before grabbing a spark plug and wrench. Fired right up. I saw $20 go into the mechanic's pocket, but no ticket and no money for the spark plug went into the register.
__________________
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.

Last edited by humanrace; 11-01-2017 at 03:50 PM.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #9066
Retiredtosoon
 
Retiredtosoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: spring branch
Posts: 426
Re: The Craigslist Thread

I bought a TC 125 in 1973 brand new just like pictured but in red from stubbs cycles for, if my memory serves me for $685 drive out, i think i still have paper work some were, run that bike hard till around 1980. If that bike would have been red i think l would have had to go look at it.
Blue book price now still has it at $1400 that's a long way from $3500

Aaron
Retiredtosoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #9067
paulcb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Celina, TX
Posts: 93
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanrace View Post
$1600 is still more than it cost new.

I was in University Cycles Yamaha in 1980 when one was pushed across the street from the campus of Texas A&M. The student said he had ridden to school that morning and it wouldn't start when he got ready to go home. The mechanic explained that they were about to close, but he could leave it overnight and they could probably fix it the next day. The student said, "if I gave you $20 would you look at it today?" The mechanic double checked that the bike had been ridden that morning before grabbing a spark plug and wrench. Fired right up. I saw $20 go into the mechanic's pocket, but no ticket and no money for the spark plug went into the register.
I remember that place! The owner was a guy named Fischer. I knew his daughter pretty well. She rode, and her primary transportation was a motorcycle, yellow Yamaha of course.
paulcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #9068
Irishcoffee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,184
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Maybe $1200. If it was a TS185 it would be worth much more, those were great bikes for their time.
Irishcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #9069
ntklr650
 
ntklr650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Denton
Posts: 567
Re: The Craigslist Thread

I have always liked these. My understanding is they have a different motor than the KLR does but looking at them side by side it is hard to tell.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/mc...366621462.html

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
__________________
Ephesians 2:8-9

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

New status: On two wheels again.
Old status: In between bikes right now
ntklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #9070
JMZ
 
JMZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gonzales , TX
Posts: 6,245
Re: The Craigslist Thread

It is different. More power but I don't know much about them . I used to think I wanted one back in the day.
__________________
2012 Tenere

XR650R

2000 KTM 380 EXC PLATED
1977 Honda Trail CT 125
JMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #9071
Irishcoffee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,184
Re: The Craigslist Thread

He expanded his sale terr. due to no response. Those engines had a problem, don't remember exactly. A friend had one for a short while and he found it unreliable.
Irishcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #9072
tjkulpa
 
tjkulpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 17
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcb View Post
I remember that place! The owner was a guy named Fischer. I knew his daughter pretty well. She rode, and her primary transportation was a motorcycle, yellow Yamaha of course.
Too Funny! I live in Bryan currently and his son Phillip now does almost everybody in the Texas A&M motorcycle clubs bikes. Great guy, cheap price, fast turn around.
__________________
Current:
2005 Yamaha FZ6

Past:
Sundance Route 66 Scooter
2003 Honda Shadow 750
1984 Honda Magna v45 700
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2002 Kawasaki ZX-12R
tjkulpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #9073
FiddyK
 
FiddyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 798
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntklr650 View Post
I have always liked these. My understanding is they have a different motor than the KLR does but looking at them side by side it is hard to tell.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/mc...366621462.html

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
The KLX650 was a whole other animal than the KLR650. Kinda like comparing an XR650R to an XR650L. The reliability issue was eating oil. Many burned the cams and journals. They only made this bike for like 4 years, if that, and parts are HARD to find.
__________________
15 KTM 500 XCW - plated; 17 Beta 300RR - plated; 15 Indian Roadmaster
08 Honda CRF450X - plated (gone)
08 Yamaha FZ6 - raven black (gone, thankfully before i lost my license)
11 Beta 450 RR - gone (had my sexy italian fling)
08 Honda XR650L - gone (but not forgotten )
FiddyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #9074
paulcb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Celina, TX
Posts: 93
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkulpa View Post
Too Funny! I live in Bryan currently and his son Phillip now does almost everybody in the Texas A&M motorcycle clubs bikes. Great guy, cheap price, fast turn around.
So, is he now running the same shop his dad did? Wonder whatever happened to his sister Tina?
paulcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #9075
humanrace
 
humanrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 1,887
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Everyone asks about Tina. She's married with children. Lives about 150 miles from College Station. Still just as beautiful as she was in the '80s.

Joe is still around, but doesn't ride very often. Little known fact: Joe fisher and Charles Brothers won the WERA national middleweight endurance series in 1982 on a Vision 550 shaft drive bike.
__________________
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.

Last edited by humanrace; 11-06-2017 at 09:03 AM.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #9076
tjkulpa
 
tjkulpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 17
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcb View Post
So, is he now running the same shop his dad did? Wonder whatever happened to his sister Tina?
No, he doesn't have the same shop anymore, he now works out of his parents old home in the garage in the back! His business is Motorcycles Plus. Not too sure about his sister. I have only ever met his mother. Good guy though.
__________________
Current:
2005 Yamaha FZ6

Past:
Sundance Route 66 Scooter
2003 Honda Shadow 750
1984 Honda Magna v45 700
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2002 Kawasaki ZX-12R
tjkulpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #9077
paulcb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Celina, TX
Posts: 93
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanrace View Post
Everyone asks about Tina. She's married with children. Lives about 150 miles from College Station. Still just as beautiful as she was in the '80s.

Joe is still around, but doesn't ride very often. Little known fact: Joe fisher and Charles Brothers won the WERA national middleweight endurance series in 1982 on a Vision 550 shaft drive bike.
Wow, never in a million years did I think this subject would come up. Thanks for the info, glad to hear she's doing well. She was a looker but didn't know she was so popular... I lost touch with her around '85.
paulcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #9078
humanrace
 
humanrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bryan, TX
Posts: 1,887
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcb View Post
Wow, never in a million years did I think this subject would come up. Thanks for the info, glad to hear she's doing well. She was a looker but didn't know she was so popular... I lost touch with her around '85.
I had dinner with Jamie James in his restaurant in Black Mountain, NC. in 2000. He asked about several local roadracers that were racing when he started in the early '80s. He also asked about Tina.
__________________
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #9079
paulcb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Celina, TX
Posts: 93
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanrace View Post
I had dinner with Jamie James in his restaurant in Black Mountain, NC. in 2000. He asked about several local roadracers that were racing when he started in the early '80s. He also asked about Tina.
Interesting. Thanks for the short trip down memory lane.
paulcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #9080
ntklr650
 
ntklr650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Denton
Posts: 567
Re: The Craigslist Thread

Barbie bike, klr650
This looks to be a clean specimen.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/mc...372947218.html

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
__________________
Ephesians 2:8-9

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

New status: On two wheels again.
Old status: In between bikes right now
ntklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > For Sale / Wanted

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (1 members and 3 guests)
rdtbull
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-12.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.24363 seconds with 11 queries