• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Couple of options on the strap down. 1. My wife's CRF can have the back end scooted over a little and get the tailgate closed. Might not work for you. What I've done in the past is to park the bike into the corner. Run tie downs from soft straps on the bike to the far corners from the sides of the bike for keeping it upright. Then run a strap from low on the bike to the corner where you've put your front wheel in to keep it tight into that corner. I've hauled my SM's and dirt bike that way many times with no issues. Probably wouldn't do it with a big heavy street bike though.

Ramps? I'm cheap and have been using the same board with ramp end bolted to it and a cooler as a step for years. I'd like something better, but if it ain't broke...

A lot of riding areas now are offering some type of loading ramp area to back up to. The ones at Trophy Club are a little scary looking but I've seen them used successfully, just not by me. The ones at Barnwell Mountain were pointed out to me this past weekend and I used them and they worked out very well. You might not need a ramp at all depending on where you ride.

Here's a website that has several options - https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_ramp_page/c/2110/

I would go with one of the wide ramps, if your going to try & ride it up - also not a bad idea if your walking it up since you can stay next to the bike or have 2 narrow ramps or something to step up on, so you can walk the bike up.

Here's a video that shows loading / unloading into a short bed truck.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqsIEbO2Xbc"]Loading Your Bike in a Truck - YouTube[/ame]

This one shows how to tie down when angled in bed.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOCGI63eLY"]Strapping Down Your Bike in a Truck - YouTube[/ame]

Do not have this b/c of cost, but have always been interested in it.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0KnNep9oUTU"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0KnNep9oUTU[/ame]

https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_ramps/p/MF-12038/
I have borrowed this system from a friend and it is nice. This is a three piece system. You can use the center ramp by itself for a small bike or if space is a premium. With all three you can ride/walk a big bike up by yourself. I have used it to load my V-Strom solo with no problem into my 2500HD 4x4. The ramps fold in half and fit into a 6ft bed with no issue. This one is 10ft and they have a 8ft or 9ft option also.

I have a tri-fold atv ramp that is 6ft that I use for dirt bikes. It is too steep for my V-strom. I just walk up one side of the ramp with the bike in 1st gear pulling itself up the other side.

In the event I was buying today I would buy the 10ft black widow system.

Answer: something wide!
Wide enough so you can walk along side (slipping clutch to assist) as you go up and strong enough for the weight of you and motorcycle.

Riding up a ramp just invites trouble!

You can be the best rider, champion trials rider but if the bike stalls or maybe you forget to turn on the gas whatever the reason if you loose momentum riding up a skinny ramp you got nowhere to dab. Your going over in a YouTube moment!

Strong wide ramp and walking it up is the best way to load in a pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can only comment on the ramp. I have mostly used a ditch as you have which is always my preference. But when I have used a ramp I prefer an ATV ramp that is full width as it's nicer to walk up beside the bike. I have done it with a 2x6 and it's not fun with a KLR650. I'll still say the best is a ditch.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

So I've got this little CRF250L now and it fits into the bed of my truck. I have a nice ditch in front of my house that I can back my truck into and drive the bike into the bed. But I'm thinking I won't always be able to find a nice ditch at my destination to back into in order to get it out of the bed so easily.

Wondering what's the smartest/safest ramp system to get a dirt bike into/out of the back of a pickup truck?

Also, the bike only fits diagonally into the bed with the tail gate closed. Is there a smart way to strap it down like that versus straight in?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

For many years years are used a pretty standard single red and because I’m short a small step up it worked just fine for dozens of years

Then I started teaching an ATV class and needed to be able to load one of those in the truck so Bot and ATV ramps I no longer use a single ramp as it’s just so convenient to walk up one side of the ATV ramps and run the bike up the other side

As for tiedowns quality anchra units
And I prefer for pro bike to in the front two in the rear if it’s a heavy street bike then I had two more midway

Working on and moving motorcycles is what I do every day

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• 281678DB-C997-4229-8980-EB40A4CF5742.jpg
    281678DB-C997-4229-8980-EB40A4CF5742.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 518
I've had a ramp like this for YEARS

Motorcycle Ramp

I've loaded FJR's, Super Tenere's, KTM 1190's, dirt bikes, etc. always on my own. Even now with a Raptor with a very high loading floor I use this ramp. You can always find some sort of small ditch, raised driveway or even a simple curb to help the angle a bit.

For small dirt bikes I now use a trail hitch carrier. It's also an easy one-man operation.

I've had a ramp like this for YEARS

Motorcycle Ramp

I've loaded FJR's, Super Tenere's, KTM 1190's, dirt bikes, etc. always on my own. Even now with a Raptor with a very high loading floor I use this ramp. You can always find some sort of small ditch, raised driveway or even a simple curb to help the angle a bit.

For small dirt bikes I now use a trail hitch carrier. It's also an easy one-man operation.

I use a similar ramp and never an issue, even with my rather tall truck. If I see something around I'll put front wheels on a curb, etc. to decrease the ramp angle, but it's not mandatory, just makes it easier. My ramp's a cheap tri-fold ATV ramp from Amazon. I also bought a couple of these strap kits for the truck and Kendon trailer; they come with soft straps and work well.

If5mmNql.jpg

Last edited:
I notice some ramps are 5+ feet, some are 7+ feet.

Guessing longer is better in this case?

When you open the Discount Ramp link & click on one of the ramp options there is a motorcycle ramp calculator (black box - upper left side of page) that you enter bike wheelbase, ground clearance & bed (loading) height into - it will tell you the minimum ramp length you should use - but in general, longer would be better due to having less slope.

Check out mototote.com
Best quality carrier. Even if you have a truck, it leaves your bed open to carry all your gear.

I've got a load ramp from a Penske truck , I cut it down to fit in the bed of the truck , no pushing nessesary , I ride everything into the truck bed .

longer would be better due to having less slope.
And less angle to the truck when you get up there. Not such an issue for ADV or dirt bikes, but if you've ever grounded your sportbike on that point, you know. :giveup:

I have a 7 foot folder at that I use along with a two step plastic step stool. I take the bike up as far as I can. Then step on the stool. Then push a little more. Then step from the stool to the tailgate. Then I finish it home. If I'm tired I do like the video and clutch it up, but let go of the clutch and things happen.

I know. I taught my wife how to do it and she dropped the clutch and tried to hang on to the bike not and ended up with a whisky throttle hard. Launched bike skyward. Lucky she did hang on long enough to sent it up and not threw the bike window of the truck. It crashed down on the tailgate after she got out from under it. She was fine and a little small ding on the tailgate I was able to knock out with a hammer and 2x4.

I used a 6ft. ramp on my last truck that was a little lower to the ground.

I have a steel folding ramp that I got at Northern or Harbor Freight (pretty cheap, like $40 or so but very heavy)

Anyway....I use the ramp and then a dirt bike stand to step up on and I can walk next to it and load it up. Depending on where I'm loading and what bike, I may or may not have to have the bike running to assist me. I must have loaded bikes this way 100 times and I've never had a "youtube" moment so I guess it must work ok.

The wider ramps are definitely nicer while loading or unloading....but assuming you plan to take it with you, they take up a lot of space in your truck. For me, a smaller ramp and a stool / stand is enough to load it safely and effectively.

Back