• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWTer Down

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Vinyard
A close friend of mine went down on I-35 near Georgetown last night as a result of a young woman driving and using a cell phone. FJR is totaled. Bob has a fractured collarbone and several broken ribs along with some nasty road rash. His wife, Sarah, has requested prayer for him. She says his gear saved his life.

Hate to hear that. I hope he heals completely and quickly.

A close friend of mine went down on I-35 near Georgetown last night as a result of a young woman driving and using a cell phone. FJR is totaled. Bob has a fractured collarbone and several broken ribs along with some nasty road rash. His wife, Sarah, has requested prayer for him. She says his gear saved his life.

I hope he heals up quickly.

I would be interested in knowing the details when you get a chance. Did the actual accident happen on IH-35? Bob is lucky he did not get hit by another passing car.

I have seen too many close calls between young people and texting...

:(

RB

He's been released from the hospital—prayers answered. As soon as he is feeling like it, I'll get a complete description of the crash and post it up here (or Bob will).

Best wishes to Bob for a full recovery and to his wife, family and friends for strength and support as he heals. So sorry to hear this.

Here's what Bob emailed last night. I'm going to try to see him today some time.

"My first 1650 miles of my return trip to Texas went pretty much according to plan. I covered 860 great miles on Sunday, parking the bike and my body that night in Birmingham, Alabama. Yesterday, I got a good start and had made it to Texas by nightfall. With only 100 miles left to home, while passing through Austin, I found a section of Interstate 35 closed for construction. Traffic was diverted to the feeder road, and as we went to merge back onto the highway, someone 6 to 8 cars ahead slammed on their brakes to avoid a workman. The chain reaction found me slowing my motorcycle rapidly to avoid hitting the Blazer in front of me. That's when all **** broke loose. The twenty-something girl behind me was paying more attention to her cell phone conversation than driving, and slammed in to me from behind with her Toyota Forerunner at 35 mph. The impact of her truck was hard enough that it picked up both me and my 600 pound bike and hurled us into the Blazer in front of me. The rear bumper of the suv stopped my motorcycle, but I kept flying into the rear window until my head made contact. I bounced off the rear of the Blazer and corkscrewed into the pavement hard, head and shoulder first. I found myself on my back as cars careened around me to avoid running over me.

First major motorcycle wreck in 40 years of riding. First ambulance ride ever. I ended up with a shattered clavicle (collarbone) on my left side, four cracked ribs on the left side, and some minor abrasions. My safety gear all worked to protect me from worse. I am now home and sedated, glad to be alive and grateful for the hand of God sparing me a more tragic fate. I find out Thursday whether they will need to do surgery on the shoulder. The FJR, my riding companion for 21k miles, is alas, a total.

Give your loved ones a special hug for me tonight. Experiences like these make you so aware of how fragile our time here can be.

Bob

Prayers for your buddy's recovery, so glad to read he survived.

His detailed description of the wreck and his injuries is both nerve wracking and amazing. Kudos to him in recognizing and stating the benefits of his safety gear, and thanking the Lord for his part. I can't see how an unhelmeted head would've survived hitting the rear window, at the least there would've been massive trauma.

So glad you are doing better, Bob. OMG...what a horrible crash, you are such a lucky man! Rest well and have a fast and full recovery!

Wow. I preach to my kids about cell phones and driving. I hate that I have a new story to share with them but I'm glad Bob is doing ok and is home. I'm going to try hard not to be really really :angryfire but I will not succeed.

Bob, glad to hear you're recovering. I will keep you in my prayers for continued improvement.

Back