• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

plating an old bike

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Howdy folks,

Now that ya'll have helped me getting my old bike to run, I need to get her legal to ride.

It's a 1974 and has never been titled, plated, inspected or insured.

So, what's the order of operation here? Proof of insurance is a requirement for inspection, and inspection is a requirement for getting a title. Or at least getting a plate.

My guess is I need to do this in this order:

1) insurance
2) inspection
3) Fill out a VTR-131 - "application for title only (or 130-U ??)
4) take all that to the tax office and see what happens.

So - that get's me titled. Then another form to register and get a plate?

If bike has never been titled you will need to apply for a bonded title. If you have insurance and inspection at time of paying for bonded title at tax office you can also pay for registration and get plates at the same time since that bike was sold new as street legal.

_

Ahh, bonded title. I knew that....

And, I assume its generally frowned upon to ride an un-plated bike to get inspected?
:rider:

I saw that, but I believe that limits how you can use the bike, then. Just ride to shows, parades, etc. I wanna actually ride this thing, so I don't think that's an option for me.

I also saw stuff about "classic" vehicle titles, so I'm going to see what the limitations and requirements for that are.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head, "Classic" registrations have no restrictions on their use. You still need inspection/registration, but you get to use "vintage" plates.

"Antique" on the other hand is where the restrictions come into play such as parades, items of public interest, shows, maintenance runs etc and are generally limited in their use.

YMMV but that's what I recall with my jeep as an "Antique".

for your bike, an antique plate would be smart.
i had a 79 yamaha enduro with an antique tag & commuted/ used it anyway i needed.
something this small & low profile will be overlooked by the law in my experience

I have two cars registered as "Antique" the rules say you can only drive them to and from,
Car shows, club meetings, display events, where ever they are serviced or repaired and finally for road tests. This also allows you the option of running "year of manufacture" license plates and ELIMINATES the inspection requirement! I personally have 1973 plates and a repop 1973 Texas inspection sticker on my Camaro. My 1939 runs antique plates and no sticker at all.
I expected drama from LEO's about the '73 plates and inspection sticker, never a single word about either! And if they press the issue, well you have been "road testing"

When you get it done lets have a classic bike ride. Good luck.

Back