• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Camp and Ride for N. Texas ADV riders Friday May 4-5......the OAT trail

misterk

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Since the Junction rally got cancelled and I want to ride, me and a couple of guys put this together. Looks like it will be dryer north than south of the metromess. Here is the plan....

Meet Friday evening at Clear Creek Lake by Duncan Oklahoma, about 130 miles from DFW. Saturday morning ride the Oklahoma Adventure trail. (west to east) We will ride from the Wichita Mountains to Ardmore Oklahoma (about 50/50 dirt, goat paths and paved). This will be big bike friendly because I and the others are on a big bike LOL.

I will be leaving Grapevine around 2pm, will eat dinner in Duncan, unless my bike stops automatically at the mexican food place in Bowie:) If you cant leave till 5 or 6, no problem, plenty of time, about a 2 hour ride to Duncan Ok. We will just be sitting around the campfire friday evening.

We never have done the OAT before, so this sounded like the perfect weekend to check out part of the trail. I think we will be too early to grab a Meers burger on Saturday. So we will eat lunch somewhere.... I would also like to see the burial site of Geronomo.

If you would like to join us, just post up......
6e087aa59bd713d02cb5d8bfcab2ab76.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds good! What do we need to bring? I'm guessing tent stuff? Eating at restaurants?

I did about half that portion of the OAT a couple years ago on the SL350. We hoteled in Ardmore and did the OAT from there and then made a loop around Duncan. Wish I could remember where but there was an error in the downloaded GPS. Lots of fun dirt roads once you leave 7.

Edit: I think the error was just south of Elmore City. We ended up there and it was NOT on the OAT. Had to double back.

Last edited:
I didn't even know there was an OAT. I'm on duty sat and am heading for Santa Fe area on Sunday but am looking forward to pics.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sounds good! What do we need to bring? I'm guessing tent stuff? Eating at restaurants?
Yes to restaurants,. Yes to tent or you can sleep under the stars and let the ants and spiders keep warm in your nostrils and ears LOL. The temperature for Friday night is around 60 degrees, so should be perfect sleeping weather. My cell is 817-456-6686 if you have any issues on the way up.

I did about half that portion of the OAT a couple years ago on the SL350. We hoteled in Ardmore and did the OAT from there and then made a loop around Duncan. Wish I could remember where but there was an error in the downloaded GPS. Lots of fun dirt roads once you leave 7.

Edit: I think the error was just south of Elmore City. We ended up there and it was NOT on the OAT. Had to double back.
Thanks SL, I actually have 2 OAT gpx tracks that sort of parrallel each other. Good thing about that part of the country there is always a bypass a few miles away.

I didn't even know there was an OAT. I'm on duty sat and am heading for Santa Fe area on Sunday but am looking forward to pics.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Few people know about the OAT, there will be some pics, but I doubt we will have the big campfire we had at the grasslands a few weeks ago :)

Me and another rider were set to do the Texas adventure ride and we would be interested in this ride. I’m riding a KTM 690 and he’s on a KLR 650.

Since the Junction rally got cancelled and I want to ride, me and a couple of guys put this together. Looks like it will be dryer north than south of the metromess. Here is the plan....

Meet Friday evening at Clear Creek Lake by Duncan Oklahoma, about 130 miles from DFW. Saturday morning ride the Oklahoma Adventure trail. (west to east) We will ride from the Wichita Mountains to Ardmore Oklahoma (about 50/50 dirt, goat paths and paved). This will be big bike friendly because I and the others are on a big bike LOL.

I will be leaving Grapevine around 2pm, will eat dinner in Duncan, unless my bike stops automatically at the mexican food place in Bowie:) If you cant leave till 5 or 6, no problem, plenty of time, about a 2 hour ride to Duncan Ok. We will just be sitting around the campfire friday evening.

We never have done the OAT before, so this sounded like the perfect weekend to check out part of the trail. I think we will be too early to grab a Meers burger on Saturday. So we will eat lunch somewhere.... I would also like to see the burial site of Geronomo.

If you would like to join us, just post up......
6e087aa59bd713d02cb5d8bfcab2ab76.jpg

Hey buddy!
...sounds like you’re in the same “I’m all prepped and was ready to ride” blues as I am!
I like your thinking!

...might be a bit far for us from Houston, but am seriously considering this as an alternate plan...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you be trailering from Houston?

No... if we WERE to go (still looking at weather reports now, and trying to convince my riding buddy)...we’d be just modifying original loadout slightly to incorporate tents/camping gear and riding out as planned. (KTM 950 Adv S and 1290 Adv accordingly)

..maybe a pipe dream.

Kevin, are you sure you’re not planning to tent/hammock in a tornado path?

https://www.weather.com/storms/seve...ther-threat-midwest-to-south?pl=pl-the-latest

No... if we WERE to go (still looking at weather reports now, and trying to convince my riding buddy)...we’d be just modifying original loadout slightly to incorporate tents/camping gear and riding out as planned. (KTM 950 Adv S and 1290 Adv accordingly)

..maybe a pipe dream.

Kevin, are you sure you’re not planning to tent/hammock in a tornado path?

https://www.weather.com/storms/seve...ther-threat-midwest-to-south?pl=pl-the-latest

Hey Adam, tell Curtis to lace up his shoes and you guys come on! The Hammock is very aerodynamic, the tornado winds just go around it :)

Riding up there Friday, riding OAT Saturday and then back that evening?
Is that the rough agenda?

plenty of fuel stops along the way or do I need to schlepp fuel?

I would be starting west of the rest of you and travel north to Decatur and then 81 north to Duncan.

Riding up there Friday, riding OAT Saturday and then back that evening?
Is that the rough agenda?

plenty of fuel stops along the way or do I need to schlepp fuel?

I would be starting west of the rest of you and travel north to Decatur and then 81 north to Duncan.
Riding up there Friday, riding OAT Saturday and then back that evening? That is correct. Fuel will not be a problem, plenty of fuel stops.

Battling a cold right now ... will see how I feel Friday.

It will be the ONLY day of the year the wind doesnt blow 20mph in Oky land

And no chance of rain Friday or Saturday. Should be perfect!
1167f8c22dabbb27c18ca4ca3405138a.jpg

Back