• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

riding at night

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my 17 year old son (he'll be 18 in 6 days) about night riding.He's been riding about 6 months now on a yamaha xt 225 that I bought for him so the two of us could do some father/son riding together. The problem is that he wants to ride at night and I won't let him. My reasons include, decreased vision, reaction time, deer and other obstacles, etc. I've tried to encourage him to view the bike as a fun machine to be used for mainly recreational purposes as opposed to strictly a transportation source. My emphasis has been dual sport riding. However, this issue is causing increasing friction between us. I was wondering if I am being way off base in my concerns for the risks of riding at night versus the day time. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Maybe get him some 10 watt LED driving lights for his birthday? They're about $75 each.;-)

Seconded. Get him a kick-*** lighting package, put retro-reflective tape on everything, and tell him to keep his speed down.

I grew up riding at night, so I don't see this as a huge issue. My worst crashes as a teen were in broad daylight in the dirt. I never crashed at night, probably because I was naturally more careful.

Here's my 2 cents worth: my riding mentor tricked out my bike with some seriously cool LED lights. I am totally hi-vis at night. BUT...I had an entirely-too-close encounter with a deer. Apparently they don't CARE about hi-vis lights! AND...I wasn't in the country-side either! Bottom line: make him as hi-vis as you can, & PRAY he won't think it's the end-all-beat-all defense against idiot cagers!

if he is like me (probably most of us) at 17, he's "bulletproof and immortal". Facts don'r really matter, because "It won't happen to me". The best you can do is prepare him as best you can, and pray for the best.

You've explained to him why it is not a good idea to ride at night. I don't know what more you can do there.

Make riding at night conditional on getting a good set of additional lights on the bike. Help him pick them out, but HE pays for them

I believe that if we look at the motorcycle as both transportation AND recreational, we start to think more about the risks too. When it's just a recreational toy, we tend to concentrate more on the entertainment aspect and less what could happen in day to day riding.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I think I will work on the visibility aspect as a prerequisite for any night riding. And do a lot of praying.

I'll make him pay for the lights as a condition to riding at night as a compromise. Better then him hating you for being a father.

JMO

Thats why 18 year olds are sent into battle, because they are fearless and less common sense (I'll pay for that one, but true). Night riding is not a good idea in any experienced riders book. I don't care how bright the lights are you still can't see the road conditions and as previously stated critters don't care how bright the lights are. This past year the LD & ADV community has lost several very experienced riders, both had been published in magazine articles. All died at night. Voni who is closing in on her million miles was also just published in BMW Owners news on safety and she states riding at night is dangerous. So who ya gonna believe, millions of miles and decades of riding experience or a 17 year old that won't listen to Dad. If he dumps it who's gonna hurt more? You or him?

I ride my bike every night, I work 2p to 10p. I drive a passenger van during that time. Deer don't care if it is day light or dark, they just don't. I see as many at one time of day as another. They have this thing that I think goes like this " Hold my beer and watch this"
Tell him to ride like he was invisible and a ghost with no brakes.
They can't see you (they don't see big yellow buses with flashing red lights do you really think they see you regardless of your Hi-viz)
You well scare the bejeezus out of them.
You can't stop in time, there fore practice avoidance.

They crash through reflective barriers, if you put any reflective tape on him or the bike make it the international sign for NO, this may cause them to vier.

You pay your dues, you takes your chances. The young see better than us older ones at night, I vote for the kid. You taught him and lets hope he wasn't wearing Teflon when doing so.

Age and experience make you more cautious because you are more aware of the dangers. A 17 year old still needs a parent to set limits. I avoid night riding. I would suggest the same for anyone.

So, here's a suggestion. Strike a compromise. He doesn't ride and night and you will not take the keys away. Be the parent. Later on, he will thank you.

PrairieParson

To him that bike is his freedom. He wants to join up with friends at that time.... which could lead to trouble as you already fear. Forbidding him though will only push him away. If it were me, I'd have to sit with him and the two of us come up with strict rules to it. ( ie. Where to ride, with who, curfew limits, etc.) Cross one and loose the privilege all together. It'd be something he already agreed to abide by so he wouldnt have anyone to blame but himself if he looses the privilege. Being a parent myself, I understand your dilemma and know its a tough one. When it comes down to it though, you know your son the best and are probably the best person to make that decision.

My brother and I had enduros as kids, but my dad insisted on the rules for riding or he would confiscate our keys for 1 month. ( Like the time we rode in the Dallas Ice and Snow pulling our friend with a rope on my dad's water ski's down the street after removing the rudders ). Dad called home from work, and told us "NO riding in the ICE", we defied the rules, and did not get hurt but we stripped 2nd gear out of Dad's Suzuki 250 Enduro pulling our "snow skier" behind the bike, and we lost our riding priveledges for 1 month. Every son hates their dad at times when he tells them NO. But that is part of being a good father. They will get over it. From the time they are 16 - 21 they are going to hate your authority no matter what you tell them, so just tell him NO RIDING AT NIGHT. Sometimes you just have to protect them from themselves.

Back