• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

Holy **** that's a nice looking moto, Doug.

She has some dings, scratches and flaws, but I agree that she is pretty. I think this has to be my favorite motorcycle. I say that based on buying one, selling it, then buying this particular bike 3 times. Must be a disease. I do love it so much and it is fun. Also it does all the cool motorcycle stuff at about 30 mph lower. I may be a little more careful on the track with her, try not to bounce off of the rev limiter as much. She seems to rev better than before, so I would guess that valve spring was messed up for a while. But, she is a goer and that makes it the best bike ever.:rider::clap:

So, my mechanic just mentioned a shock rebuild on my 2005 DRZ. Anyone have a recommendation on a kit?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

So, my mechanic just mentioned a shock rebuild on my 2005 DRZ. Anyone have a recommendation on a kit?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

No kits, it all individual parts from OEM Non DRZ applications or after market parts.
I use a mix of OEM and after market parts when I do them.

EDIT Note, Non OEM DRZ applications because the OEM has the Showa shock for the DRZ listed as "Non Serviceable" which is hogwash, I serve a dozen or more a year.

Second Edit/ Add: 2005 with fair to heavy use will likely need a oil seal, bushing, bottom out bumper, and of course oil and nitrogen charge when done. If you have considered lowering the bike, now is the time to do it, as the shock will be apart anyway.. Same with a new valve and shim stack...... refresh done right the shock is completely disassembled, sonic tanked, inspected and reassembled ..so the labor you pay to do that would cover the labor to lower (but not parts) and a good hunk of labor to do the valve and shims

Last edited:
When I needed an upgrade, I sent it to Roger at Onroad/Offroad in Austin. He put gold valves in and lowered front and rear. A bit pricey, but it is better than most any bike I have ever had, plus she is a little lower. I think we were at about $1200.00 to do it. I didn't have tools to make the spacers and Roger does awesome work. I think we turned it around in a week and a half or so.

IMG_1006.jpg

Full circle, after several years without a Z, I now have two 00 models, the S with 11k original miles and the E with a street title is cleaner than the S, hours unknown but it feels really good and crisp, PO removed the street lights but they came with it along with a box full of goodies, I really plan on holding on to these this time, the E is my 6th DRZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice set of Drz's .... I think the first generation Drz400s has the best power band.

I want to see the old TS125 in the pic.

It's actually a 75 with 71 tank, paid $300 for it needing a little work and a tire, now it starts easy and I ride it while my dog runs with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
LED blinker problem: I've had LED blinkers on my DR for months now, everything working fine. Friday I go for a ride, and my friend tells me all four blinkers are flashing every time I use them. When home, I swap LED flasher unit with a new one, all four still flash. Dropped both flasher units in another bike, and all was good, so it's not the flasher units.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

LED blinker problem: I've had LED blinkers on my DR for months now, everything working fine. Friday I go for a ride, and my friend tells me all four blinkers are flashing every time I use them. When home, I swap LED flasher unit with a new one, all four still flash. Dropped both flasher units in another bike, and all was good, so it's not the flasher units.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

Quick and easy test. Take the indicator light out of the speedometer uplug it and try the signals.

Last edited:
Anyone close to Huntsville that has experience with the DR650 carb, please chime in, I'm in need of help getting my bike running again. It may need a valve check, as well as the carb needing adjustment. I'm at the end of my mechanical knowlege and at a loss as to what to do. Really don't want to spend more money on getting it running by taking it to a shop or some such, as they'll charge me out the a** I know. :/ Help?

what is it doing?

Thanks Marc_B that is a nice little bike. Used to drool over those back in the day. I had a 1971 TS90 Honcho

Quick and easy test. Take the indicator light out of the speedometer uplug it and try the signals.

Upon original install of the LED turn signals, I HAD to remove the incandescent single dash bulb, or else all four signals would flash simultaneously (I'm not using a diode). I did just go out into the lab and remove speedo light (in case they were associated somehow), but no luck on fixing the issue.

I guess I should remove the fairing and check if any wires are chafing on the nav tower?

Attachments

• fairing and nav twr.jpg
    fairing and nav twr.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 177
Ok- figured it out. Although I had pulled the dash bulb out of the socket, the two wires inside the socket had vibrated to where they they were touching, thus completing that connection/circuit. I cut a small piece of rubber and jammed it in the socket to prevent the wires from making connection.

Thanks JT for the assist- and missed y'all yesterday!

TMTaco, you got any more pictures/info on your headlight/fairing setup there? Looks different.

Ok- figured it out. Although I had pulled the dash bulb out of the socket, the two wires inside the socket had vibrated to where they they were touching, thus completing that connection/circuit. I cut a small piece of rubber and jammed it in the socket to prevent the wires from making connection.

Thanks JT for the assist- and missed y'all yesterday!

Any particular reason you don't want to add a simple diode to each side of the circuit and retain the dash indicator light?

I bought a pack of 25 diodes last Dec (I needed two, but came in a 25 strip) the 23 remaining is a life time supply for me, send you two in an envelope is you want?

TMTaco, you got any more pictures/info on your headlight/fairing setup there? Looks different.

I make these- they're a universal fit for most dual sports.

My web store is down right now (switching hosting companies), or i'd provide a link. PM me for further info if you wish.

Chris

Attachments

• Proto3.2.jpg
    Proto3.2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 179
  • hw1.2.jpg
    hw1.2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 2.2.18.4.jpg
    2.2.18.4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 207
Any particular reason you don't want to add a simple diode to each side of the circuit and retain the dash indicator light?

I bought a pack of 25 diodes last Dec (I needed two, but came in a 25 strip) the 23 remaining is a life time supply for me, send you two in an envelope is you want?

I will add two dash turn indicators, just waiting for USB socket port to come in to have everything before finishing the dash. Attached pic is from a different bike.

I just gotta say though: I love the community here on TWT! That gesture is so kind and appreciated!

Attachments

• dr 10.jpg
    dr 10.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 189
Finally got another DRZ, i've been without a ride for 4 months. 2015 S with 1900 miles. Just need to get some factory wheels back on it with some d606's
47094fa6834948264060e2e0d97d9a0c.jpg
ca76e3ec38a840fc23ca38b6ca9440fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Finally got another DRZ, i've been without a ride for 4 months. 2015 S with 1900 miles. Just need to get some factory wheels back on it with some d606's
47094fa6834948264060e2e0d97d9a0c.jpg
ca76e3ec38a840fc23ca38b6ca9440fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What's wrong with the wheels? Looks good to the uninitiated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back