• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

North Texas Camp Out - LBJ Grasslands (by Decatur) Friday March 2, Dirty Ride on Satu

misterk

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I didnt see any other activities for March 2nd so here it goes......

Looks like we will have cabin fever for a couple of weeks. Myself and some other TWTers are camping Friday night and riding some big bike dirt on Saturday. Heck, we may even ride up to Rocky Ridge or Red River Motorcycle parks and explore with a big bike fully loaded with camping gear!!!

I think we can find enough dirty roads to keep us amused. Bring something to eat at camp Friday night or eat in Decatur. We can find a cafe within 10 miles for breakfast Saturday morning.

We can use the dead wood lying around for a campfire.

From their website:

"Permits for fuelwood cutting for home use ($20 for two cords) are available at the District office in Decatur and the Caddo Work Center in Honey Grove. Firewood for campfires is limited to downed wood only, with no permit required. Cutting standing trees or pruning limbs from them is prohibited."

I Do not know exactly where camp will be, somewhere between one of the three lakes and the main part of LBJ Grasslands. I will go up early Friday afternoon and find a spot, then post the GPS coordinates here.

Right now long range forecast looks good, but we know that can change the closer we get.

If it is going to be soup, sloppy and ****ty I will cancel.

If you would like to come, post up. If somebody wants to organize a dirty ride for Saturday, please take the reigns.

I will be on a red, white and black Africa Twin next to a hammock. I think there will also be a Red GSA.

Last edited:
By "big bike dirt" do you mean gravel roads or at LBJ Grasslands? Are motorcycles allowed to ride off-road at LBJ Grasslands? I hear conflicting stories. I have not been there.

At the grasslands you must stay on the gravel roads and be street legal. A lot of them that used to go through do not anymore, the gates are solid do not override your line of sight. All of the county roads in the area were paved a few years ago.

By "big bike dirt" do you mean gravel roads or at LBJ Grasslands? Are motorcycles allowed to ride off-road at LBJ Grasslands? I hear conflicting stories. I have not been there.
I was up there a few weeks ago, camped at Black Creek Lake. It is gravel mostly.

Attachments

• IMG_0867 (640x339).jpg
    IMG_0867 (640x339).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0854 (640x272).jpg
    IMG_0854 (640x272).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I live in Decatur and ride my KLR out on the grasslands all the time. Just stay on the posted roads, at least the ones that are currently open, and don't ride like your in a race. it was a good place to get my "dirt feet" back under me but nothing challenging at all. You can actually camp anywhere on the grasslands you want to but there are several places that already have camp sites in place. A real nice spot just south of the TADRA camp. As far as fire wood there is plenty of dead wood so that would not be an issue at all. Really no good distance dirt roads in all of Wise County that I'm aware of so a run up to one of the riding parks would be the best way to go in my opinion.
I always do all my own camp cooking when I go out but there is Leaper Creek BBQ just north of Decatur that is close and darn good too.

A quick update regarding fire wood on the grasslands. With the current Ice storm we have here in Decatur and judging by all the downed trees and limbs all over town I would bet the firewood situation will be greatly improved.

Thanks NWKLR, arent you the one that went bird hunting with us at Aaron's place (maximus flavius)?

I hope this forecast holds.....
676e74b2a91fdc8f0569755228b84bac.jpg

looks like we are going to do the Jacksboro dual sport route on Saturday after we break camp. (big bike dirty route)

MF ... meet for breakfast somewhere?

Last edited:
Time and place for meeting up on Friday?
I might have to work on saturday but that is still up in the air for now

Big bike dirt ride. I'm thinking my WR450 doesn't qualify but I thought I'd ask to see if the Big Bike designation was to let people know that they roads will be big bike friendly or to exclude the little bikes.

Bottom line...is my WR450 too small for this? How many miles are you guys going to do on Saturday and will you be passing gas stations on the route?

I think my range is about 60 miles on the WR. I can carry some fuel...but range is still limited as I have stock tank on it still.

Last edited:
Big bike dirt ride. I'm thinking my WR450 doesn't qualify but I thought I'd ask to see if the Big Bike designation was to let people know that they roads will be big bike friendly or to exclude the little bikes.

Bottom line...is my WR450 too small for this? How many miles are you guys going to do on Saturday and will you be passing gas stations on the route?

I think my range is about 60 miles on the WR. I can carry some fuel...but range is still limited as I have stock tank on it still.
450 will be fine, the entire loop is only about 95 miles. We will have lunch in Jacksboro. I will have a rotopax and Gary is the tanker with the GSA 8 gallon tank :)

Time and place for meeting up on Friday?
I might have to work on saturday but that is still up in the air for now
Let's plan on camping at Black Creek Lake. I and Gary will be there around 4:30-5. Get up in the morning work our way to Alvord through the grasslands. Lunch at Herd burgers in Jacksboro, cruise the backroads to Springtown.

Black Creek Lake coordinates: 33.345114, -97.595169

4b919f5924523242f0275371fdafda44.jpg

Weather should be perfect

5ad86303e65cb27844b647d3e8c7f126.jpg

How do you post a GPX file?

Last edited:
Just an FYI I think Black Creek is the only place on the Grasslands that there is a “Day Use” fee drop box and the local Ranger does show up all the time, also the only place with a Vault type bathroom. It also can fill up with local Family campers and is a very small area. The west side of the lake has a few very nice camp sites (bottom land will be soggy for sure if not underwater) but has been more of a party spot but it looks like it has been cleaned up and maintained in recent months. There is a nice area (on high ground so should be dryer) about 1.5 miles south of the TADRA trail head on FS 904. Google maps has it marked “LBJ Grasslands B&B” No facilities at all but nice camping spots.
I’m still a hard maybe as I have an aircraft to deliver on Friday and if there are any issues I’ll have to work Saturday.

Yes, I usually camp out there about once a month oct-march. In the spring and summer I usually go up to Lake Nocona. It has been well maintained recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had 4 campers, 6 riders. perfect camp out. Road about 140 miles today. Only one broken arm from one of the klr riders.

One gsa went across 2 ditches and landed in a third, no harm done.

Africa twin was delightful!

More after the break....

Story to follow

Had a great time up until the broken wrist (not mine) figures the youngest in the group would take the hardest fall. He is home his bike at my place and his wife wants to kick my rear end.
One thing I know for sure is I need to get me a Go-pro or similar. Both "mishaps" were right in front of me and a good video would tell a lot.
Oh and that big GSA takes air time a lot smoother than I would have thought.

I've been meaning to get up there again as I've only been once. Looks like you guys had perfect weather for it this weekend :)

Had a perfect camp out, only about 2 other tents. Perfect evening, had supper by the camp fire.

6e5527984b016fd200dfa4060d92aec6.jpg

Gary gsa @garyra, Gordon klr @nwklr and Aaron klr (he recently traded a Harley for he klr) (Gordon’s life long amigo)

17c9eae90067975d888c7be964d55365.jpg

Had 2 other riders show up around 8am. Friend of mine Matt on the KTM 1290 and Ed @spokedoc in the new Husky 701.

e0b18fc1a466bfc8943babada1794e31.jpg

Back