TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
bucho1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 152
Anyone rent out dual sport motorcycles?

Hey everyone. I’ve got 3 dual sport motorcycles and 1 crf 85. They sit around in my garage, I wrench on them, ride them some, etc. I’m not ready to sell them, but they should get more action. Also, they aren’t my babies. They’re dual sports built to ride and sustain the usual bumps, diggers and scrapes.

My question is, does anyone ever rent out their extra dual sport bikes? You know how it is, you go on a trip somewhere, would be cool to have a motorcycle, but you’re not gonna go rent a Harley or a brand spanking new tricked out Beamer. But if someone had an old XR or WR or KLR at a reasonable daily price, you’d definitely do that.

I’m not looking at this as a great money making business, more like a way to contribute to the dual sport community in Central Texas.

Opinions?
bucho1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Jarrett
Forum Supporter
 
Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waxahachie
Posts: 1,191
Re: Anyone rent out dual sport motorcycles?

Seems like the liability would be high on that deal. Might want to form an LLC.
__________________
The DCT Trio:
2016 VFR1200X
2016 CRF1000L
2012 NC700X
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,449
Re: Anyone rent out dual sport motorcycles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Seems like the liability would be high on that deal. Might want to form an LLC.
This.

Loaning someone a bike is one thing. Even a one off informal "rental" might not be a big deal. As soon as you start doing on a repetitive basis, acting like a business in effect, things will change and you open yourself up to liability that could easily FAR exceed any money you might make renting out your bikes.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
ed29
 
ed29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Terlingua Tx
Posts: 5,203
Re: Anyone rent out dual sport motorcycles?

LtDan out of Townsend TN. rents out motorcycles. His company is GSM Motorent. For a few years his family was wintering in Big Bend, but that ended a couple of years ago. He is a great guy and can talk with you about the ups and downs of renting out bikes.

https://gsmmotorent.com is his web address.
__________________
Ed

Life is short... Ride it hard.
ed29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
CBaron
 
CBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 234
Re: Anyone rent out dual sport motorcycles?

I'd be a good target market for something like this. I ride off-road exclusively. I'd love to own a DS or Adventure bike, but my wife's younger brother recently had a terrible accident on a street bike. He ended up in a coma for a few days (he's all better now). But it really put the entire family through some rough times. Thus, at the moment, I can't spend the 'relational capital' to try and purchase & own a road going bike. But Id have no problem "renting" one for a day or so and joining some friends on some rides.

*subscribed*

Thanks,
CJB
__________________
KTM 250 EXC
Looking to get into the dual sport world...
CBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
UncleBuck
Forum Supporter
 
UncleBuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 98
Re: Anyone rent out dual sport motorcycles?

You could check out https://www.riders-share.com/. It's similar to Turo or Airbnb.
__________________
'16 Africa Twin DCT
'18 701 Enduro
UncleBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,449
Re: Anyone rent out dual sport motorcycles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed29 View Post
LtDan out of Townsend TN. rents out motorcycles. His company is GSM Motorent. For a few years his family was wintering in Big Bend, but that ended a couple of years ago. He is a great guy and can talk with you about the ups and downs of renting out bikes.

https://gsmmotorent.com is his web address.
He is also a long time member here on TWT even though he doesn't post much.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #8
bucho1999
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 152
Re: Anyone rent out dual sport motorcycles?

@UncleBuck- DAMNIT! someone stole my $million dollar idea!

I had thought about this in the past, but knew I'd never do it. I actually googled it and did a little research, but came up empty. This is the answer to what I was talking about.

As far as the liability... while I hate that kind of thing, you guys are right. I wasn't really thinking of this as a money making proposition, more like a hobby that wouldn't cost me money.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna check out https://www.riders-share.com/.
bucho1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-18.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.14916 seconds with 12 queries