• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

After the pie run - prayer request - Merged

Just wanted to give another update. Fortunately, right now it is good news!!! The last surgery she had was 10/22 - We are 3 weeks out and no signs of infection and the doc removed the stitches yesterday. No guarantee we are out of the woods yet, but it is definitely looking good. She can finally get her leg wet again - showering is allowed.

She is off of normal pain meds - although she is still on meds for phantom pains (pain in the part of the leg that is gone). This is normal and could be the case for quite some time.

She even drove again for the first time yesterday. I made her wait until she was off her normal pain meds for this.

So, from here, we wait about 3 months before she can get a prosthetic and hope and pray that there are no infections in the leg that just haven't surfaced yet.

Other than that, we are moved in together and the house is usable. We still have a bunch of boxes to unload and projects to complete around the house, but this will take time.

Emotionally, she is doing pretty well. Most of the time she is good, but she still has her lower moments. These will take time, but hopefully now that we seem to be past the infections, they will not be as frequent.

Thanks again for all the support,

Mic

Glad to heat the good news. do not give up it only gets better.

My son (4 years post crash/amputation) still has a few infections from time to time. After the prosthesis is fitted, frequent and thorough cleaning is of prime importance with even a minor hair follicle irritation a potential infection site. When she gets to that point, feel free to say something and I'll put her in touch with my son if you want. His learning curve has been pretty steep for the past 4 years.

Mic,

I don't know how, but I just now saw this thread. :oops:

First, my prayers are with you all.

Second, thank God for you. You have undoubtedly been (and continue to be) her savior. Having just been in a bike accident two weeks ago (broken leg and minor hiccup compared to Jo), I can say that besides God and all the doctors, Jo's support team ranks right up there. Again, thank God for you all your support to Jo.

I don't know either of you, but I'm cheering both of you on.
pompom.gif

Get better soon JO!!

Keep up the great work MIC!!

I'm looking forward to hearing about future updates as well as in the coming months seeing Jo stand. Baby steps I know, but with your support and her strong will, it seems only a matter of time.

TO BOTH OF YOU FROM ME:
bow.gif

I'm fairly new to the forums... and I also just found this thread this weekend.

We have a good friend who lost his leg (and almost his life) to a drunk driver over 10 years ago. Mike was a volunteer fireman, responding to a 2am emergency, when the accident happened. He gets around just fine, and has a waiver to use a quad at the church camp since the ground is too rough in some areas for either his prosthetic or his wheelchair. The kids constantly beg him for rides up to the campfire...

My prayers and best wishes for continued recovery for Jo, and a prayer of thanks for the support network she's got!

She is off of normal pain meds - although she is still on meds for phantom pains (pain in the part of the leg that is gone). This is normal and could be the case for quite some time.

I read an article about mirror treatment to help with these pains. It is an up and coming treatment that is being used on our vets. from what I read it is quite successful and rather simple to do. Please look into it as it may help her brain to understand the loss of her leg. I know that sounds off, from what I have read the pains are subconscious and the mirror treatments help the brain to subconsciously register the leg is gone simply by acknowledging it through a mirror. I know it must really sound weird to read/say,, still I try to stay up on holistic, new and new healing methods and this one has shown HIGH return in the lack of pain area for the vets. Still, ask the doc if it will help and she can also read up on it on her own. She will be in our prayers and thoughts. Good luck with keeping her still and hang in there, I am sure you mean as much to her as she does to you :thumb:
]

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Tracy - I will look into the mirror treatment again.

I think they did a very brief session of this a while back and the idea was that looking into the mirror makes the brain confused because it thinks the left is right etc and sees the leg as there and that all is normal and it somehow stops this. It didn't seem to help, but I don't think it was more than a one-time session.

Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Tracy - I will look into the mirror treatment again.

I think they did a very brief session of this a while back and the idea was that looking into the mirror makes the brain confused because it thinks the left is right etc and sees the leg as there and that all is normal and it somehow stops this. It didn't seem to help, but I don't think it was more than a one-time session.

Thanks for the idea.
Mirror thing didn't work for my son. If he feels an itch, he said it helps to scratch the prosthesis (???) go figure. He also said that his toes (not there) cramp. He mentally walks through stretching out his toes and feet, and it goes away.:giveup:

Yeah. While Jo was in the hospital, I itched her foot (basically the spot on the bed that her foot would roughly be) a couple times. Seemed weird, but she asked me to so I did.

Hey folks,

Jo went back to work today!! She pushed herself to get off pain meds so she could drive and called in this week to tell them she was ready. We had been given indication that they weren't going to let her back, but she pushed and got herself ready in the 14 weeks they gave her to get back.

Her leg is still looking good (and the longer we go with no signs of infection, the better). Next milestone is fitting for a prosthetic in a few months. For now, we just have to keep the leg healing, keep up the exersize to maintain mobility and get her leg shrunk down.

Mic

Well if that isn't progress, I don't what is! :clap:

And she's on to the next chapter!

What do you mean by shrunk down? Won't the exercise keep it from shrinking? (or at least help) I'm dealing with some crazy muscle atrophy right now with my broken leg.

Jo went back to work today!! She pushed herself to get off pain meds so she could drive

Whoa! She is driving, too? :clap:

Great news!

How does she get around after driving? Is she mobile enough on crutches? I'm curious as to much effort all this is, because her stock keeps going up in my eyes...

How does she get around after driving? Is she mobile enough on crutches? I'm curious as to much effort all this is, because her stock keeps going up in my eyes...

She's still getting the hang of the crutches - they are a little tricky. She has had more use of the walker and is really effective with it. She just got the crutches the Friday before this last one. She throws whichever she brings with her (crutches or walker) in backseat of her truck and pulls them out when she stops.

Hmm, I've been ordered to give her 102 hugs if I add this up right. Shouldn't be a problem:sun:

Mic

Back