• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Midsize Truck?

When I looked about a year ago you could still get a Dodge Ram in a manual if you ordered it. You won't find any on the showroom floor since most people value being able to text while driving, but they do still offer it. Or they did....

I didn't see the option, but it may be only on the work trucks or something. Could have overlooked it too.
If at all possible, i'm avoiding the variable-cylinder-count crud. Loads of complexity for essentially no gain.
So a dodge would get the 4.7, and a Toyota would get the 5.7.
Ford, thankfully hasn't gotten on the MDS band wagon.
Wife hates GM, so they're ruled out :shrug:

Maybe I'll have to get a slush box truck and a the Toyobaru FR-S/BR-Z for the manual fix :trust:

There was a report in the Dallas news today about the 2014 Chevy and GM trucks. I wonder if they are on the right direction with the new engines.

They said it would have all aluminum high compression engines, 8-6-4 style where some cylinders quit firing, and 6 speed transmissions.

I know this is about CAFE and gas mileage but these are trucks. Is this the right direction? I would rather go smaller and have a cast 4 (22r) or I6 (ford) and have a reliable and effecient truck than a big one that can't last under duress.

And these new ones will take a Phd to work on them.

Is this progress?

You should be able to still get a Dodge 1500 with the 4.7 and a 6spd manual shift. In 08, the 4.7L got a power bump and is just 20hp shy of the HEMI output with out having MDS, and 2 plugs per cylinder.

There was a report in the Dallas news today about the 2014 Chevy and GM trucks. I wonder if they are on the right direction with the new engines.

They said it would have all aluminum high compression engines, 8-6-4 style where some cylinders quit firing, and 6 speed transmissions.

I know this is about CAFE and gas mileage but these are trucks. Is this the right direction? I would rather go smaller and have a cast 4 (22r) or I6 (ford) and have a reliable and effecient truck than a big one that can't last under duress.

Is this progress?

Yes, it is. It's also just an old idea come back to life.

Few problems with my 01 Dakota Quad with 4.7L. Nothing I couldnt fix, with the help of google anyhow. ;)

O2 sensors, resistor pack, battery.... Its at about 115k miles.

I was diligent about keeping track of MPG for the first 80k or so miles, and I consistently got 15MPG mixed use, and I like to excersize my right foot.

Is this progress?

Most 1/2 ton pickups and a fair portion of heavy duty pickups spend almost their entire service life toting around just a driver to and from work. Occasionally a 2x4 is purchased from the big box home improvement center and then it doesn't fit in the abbreviated cargo box :loco:. Given this is the bread-and-butter of big truck sales, yes it makes sense to wimpify their trucks to meet CAFE standards and consumer demand for best gas mileage.

The percent sales to farmers and actual truck users is a much smaller percentage especially considering the heavy duty user will buy a truck and keep it 10-15 years whereas the urban cowboy will refresh his pickup every 3-4 years. Follow the money.

I wonder why these same wimpy pickups are still 5000 pounds. My 55 F100 was about 3300 pounds and it was a heckofa work truck.

Those tiny beds make little sense to me. Some can't even fit a midsize Honda in the back.

My ideal truck would be a new version of an 1980 F150 I6 that I put 300K miles on. Single cab and full size bed, 19-20 mpg IIRC. What is closest to that? It was not 5000 pounds like the new full size.

Is this progress?

Have you seen the pics of the 2014 GM trucks? Uuuuuuuuuuggggggllllyyyyyyyy :puke: especially that dash :puke:

The tundra is supposed to be all new for 2014. I've very curious to see that one.

Few problems with my 01 Dakota Quad with 4.7L. Nothing I couldnt fix, with the help of google anyhow. ;)

O2 sensors, resistor pack, battery.... Its at about 115k miles.

I was diligent about keeping track of MPG for the first 80k or so miles, and I consistently got 15MPG mixed use, and I like to excersize my right foot.

I just turned 116,000 on my 01. What problem did you have that required an o2 sensor and the resistor pack? Second Dakota, first went 176,000 before a teenager killed it. Thanks.

I wonder why these same wimpy pickups are still 5000 pounds. My 55 F100 was about 3300 pounds and it was a heckofa work truck.

Alot of vehicles are heavier now than their older counterparts. More safety features and more convenience stuff has taken up the weight savings of lighter metals and plactics. A Honda Civic weighs about half againg what they weighed back in the 80's.

I've had my 07 Tacoma access cab for about 6 months and really love it. It has plenty of power for everyday use. It even does fine even with a bike in the bed and towing a uhaul. I usually get about 21-22 mpg hwy and a bit less around town.

still no small diesels or turbo diesels that can bang out 30+mpg on a 1/2 ton format, I guess? Makes no sense to me :shrug:

still no small diesels or turbo diesels that can bang out 30+mpg on a 1/2 ton format, I guess? Makes no sense to me :shrug:

I might be wrong, but I believe that US makers lobbied in the 80s to tighten EPA standards on lower weight class diesels to protect their small truck/suv market share against the asian manufacturers. I know virtually every small truck is available as a diesel overseas.

So, 17mpg vs 21mpg is, for 15K miles a year, 882gal - 714gal or 168 gals/yr. Is it worth the size difference? I sure like having a full size bed that can carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

So, 17mpg vs 21mpg is, for 15K miles a year, 882gal - 714gal or 168 gals/yr. Is it worth the size difference? I sure like having a full size bed that can carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

Well, at $3 a gal, that's about $500.

That is why I like that 1980 Ford F150, it had a bed big enough for a 4X8, got almost 20 mpg, but was not "full size" by today's standards. It is closer to a Dakota size.

4X8 beds are not common anymore. My two kids have a Tundra and a Hemi Ram and both are 4 door with 1/2 size beds. But like someone already pointed out, few trucks are farm and ranch anymore. Most are kid toting station wagons.

That is why I like that 1980 Ford F150, it had a bed big enough for a 4X8, got almost 20 mpg, but was not "full size" by today's standards. It is closer to a Dakota size.

4X8 beds are not common anymore. My two kids have a Tundra and a Hemi Ram and both are 4 door with 1/2 size beds. But like someone already pointed out, few trucks are farm and ranch anymore. Most are kid toting station wagons.

My wife's van will tow 3500 lbs. Slap a hitch on that, it's more than most pickups will ever haul.

My wife's van will tow 3500 lbs. Slap a hitch on that, it's more than most pickups will ever haul.

My wife's toyota mini van will pull the same too. I put a hitch on it last year and it's pulled jetskis and uhaul trailer full of luggage.

My wife's toyota mini van will pull the same too. I put a hitch on it last year and it's pulled jetskis and uhaul trailer full of luggage.

Yeah, we have a sienna, too. Good van.

Yeah, we have a sienna, too. Good van.

Yeah as much as I hate to admit it, I've really come to like that thing. With a 270 hp V6 its deceptively fast for a grocery getter and you can fit a ton of crap in it and still tow the skis :mrgreen:

Yeah as much as I hate to admit it, I've really come to like that thing. With a 270 hp V6 its deceptively fast for a grocery getter and you can fit a ton of crap in it and still tow the skis :mrgreen:

Yep. It's got some go. We managed to take two adults, two toddlers, and all the crud that goes with them for a week into that, and not be uncomfortable. :)

That said, the wife is already telling me that she's done with "the minivan thing" and my VW won't tow anything, which means in a couple of years, I get to buy a Taco (Or other, similar sized truck), to bring it back on topic. ;)

Had a 2002 crew cab 4x4 tacoma. Was a great truck and the only midsize with real rear leg room at the time along with easy access. Dealer in Plano made my decision to never own another Toyota product. Couldnt get an oil change without being hassled for more charges. Traded for a 2004 duramx to tow car and bikes. Tocoma didnt have the chassis or power to tow car trailer

Back