• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SOLD 05 DL1000 project No Comp

Reaction score
SOLD

I bought this late March of this year from a forum member. Only needed it to last until December but didnt work out that way. Bike died on me about an hour from home last month and just recently got it to a shop to find out that there is barely any compression. Not worth the money for me to fix it for 2 months so selling as is. Part out possible. I dont know much about this bike as ive only had it for 5000 miles or so. Both tires are recently changed by me not that it matters for now. Bike has around 52000 miles give or take 1000 miles.

Windshield bracket
Bark busters
Rebuilt or aftermarket shock? Sasquatch? http://www.adventurepowersports.us/suzuki-vstrom.html
Luggage system with knock off pelican cases
Aux lights
Power commander
Corbin seat and stock. Both have seen better days but the corbin is decent condition
I believe the PO said he had the clutch changed and rotor and rotor magnets replaced.
Highway pegs. Homemade?
Shinko 705 tires. Front was done most recent and practically new.

Might be some stuff that im missing but thats all i can think of. PM me for PO user name and he may be able to tell you more about the bike as he had it most of its life.

Not at all sure what to ask for this so thinking $1500 for now.
Having issues with pictures. Will try again later.

Thanks for looking Jacob
Edit shock link added and clutch basket upgraded from https://www.werksparts.com/home.html

Last edited:
Re: FS 05 DL1000 project No Comp

Sorry to here that about the bike . It was mine . Loss of compression in both cylinders sounds VERY odd. I will be happy to answer any questions on the bike. Most all the mods I did to the bike are probably documented on this forum somewhere .

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113653

Last edited:

Sorry to here that about the bike . It was mine . Loss of compression in both cylinders sounds VERY odd. I will be happy to answer any questions on the bike. Most all the mods I did to the bike are probably documented on this forum somewhere .

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113653

Mechanic said he worked at suzuki dealership for 20 plus years and it was a first for him.

Loss of compression in both cylinders sounds VERY odd.

:tab I had the same thought. For both to lose compression at the same time would require something valve train related I would think. The odds of both sets of rings going bad at the same time are pretty high unless there is some unusual circumstance. Maybe the timing chain sprocket lost a tooth or the chain somehow skipped a tooth or three? :shrug:

I agree with the statements above, in that losing compression in both cylinders at the same time is very odd indeed. I also am thinking along the same lines as Tourmeister in that if it did lose in both cylinders that it might be valve train related.

The Strom has a pretty robust cam chain tensioner system that I have never heard of failing before. The only thing off of the very top of my head that I would think to check first would be the little auto decompression mechanisms on the exhaust cams, but even then to have both of them fail at the same time would be very unusual.

JMZ, by chance did you ever have the heads all the way off of the bike? Or was it just usual valvetrain maintenance?

I just adjusted the valves back in 2009. Don't remember the miles but probably under 20k.

Last edited:

Surely its not just that the valves are slightly open due to being too tight now.

I mean the valves where JUST adjusted 8 years ago

What do years have to do with valve adjustment intervals? Nothing .

And the "just" meant that that's all I did to the Strom, not as in just recently.

If you where closer to north Dallas, I would offer to open the engine up for you so we could see what was wrong and then you could decide to sell it or fix it. If you do all the work yourself it probably wont cost much to fix.

Gary

If you where closer to north Dallas, I would offer to open the engine up for you so we could see what was wrong and then you could decide to sell it or fix it. If you do all the work yourself it probably wont cost much to fix.

Gary

Thanks for the offer. Ive considered it but ill be moving at the beginning of December and would have to sell it by then so it wouldnt be worth it to me.

it was in a joking around tone when i said that if you couldn't tell, sorry. however he did say its over 50k now and im not sure how these things really work but maybe it is the valves not closing all the way to seat if they have never been done or adjusted since jmz did. i thought as the valve seat wore down the valve stem got closer and closer to the cam lobe until the valve is just always open. is that right?

it was in a joking around tone when i said that if you couldn't tell, sorry. however he did say its over 50k now and im not sure how these things really work but maybe it is the valves not closing all the way to seat if they have never been done or adjusted since jmz did. i thought as the valve seat wore down the valve stem got closer and closer to the cam lobe until the valve is just always open. is that right?

That is correct, also the valve stems stretch slightly and that also causes the valve clearance to reduce and eventually the valves stay open!!
It may not be that both cylinders lost compression at the same time, one may have lost compression a while ago but has enough to operate and the other cylinder kept the engine going, now the second cylinder is also loosing compression, so you check the engine and find low compression on both cylinders and think it just happened. It really sounds like an issue with the valve gear (either valve clearances have closed up or the timing has changed.

Gary

or the bores got melted by running without coolant or oil maybe.

I didn't mean to be an *** jeepman . Sorry.

From what I resd about the dl1000 is once adjusted they usually don't need it again for a long time . Don't know about miles but just a long time. LOL

Also they say to NEVER rotate the engine backwards . Just not enough info from Harry about this. It does totally bite though .

Also they say to NEVER rotate the engine backwards . Just not enough info from Harry about this. It does totally bite though .

Im not sure how much the mechanic looked into it. Also didnt want to pay more to find out how in depth the problem is when I will already be losing money on this. He did say that he suspected a stuck valve but checked and said they were not stuck. Other than that i believe he said 10-15 psi on one side and around 30 (I think) on the other and would probably need piston and ring replacement at the very least.

Thats pretty low. Did it die while you where riding it or did it just fail to start one day.

Died while riding it. Rode to a job site for a few hours then left and made it about a mile before it quit. Lucky it died while still in the neighborhood or else i would have been stuck on the side of the highway.

I am willing to bet that the low compression is just that the mech didn't take into account the auto de-compessors. Losing compression in both would be failed cam chain. Strom valves are some of the most reliable in the business. Something else is wrong.

Back