• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DYI Heated Glove & Jacket Liners

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
I had an interest in heated gear but couldn't justify the $$ for something I may only use a couple of months a year. I thought about making my own heated gear and a Google search gave me enough information to make me dangerous, I mean get started. The process has been time consuming and not without its share of trial 'n error but in the end well worth the effort. Last week I took my new homemade electrics on a 1,400 mile test ride to Mt Magazine, Arkansas where I encountered temps in the low 20's and even saw a little snow. The only cold I felt was in my feet and that's because I hadn't wired up my socks . . . . . . . . yet. Anyway, the stuff works beautifully. The full report is on my smugmug. If you have a little time on your hands go for it! :thumb:

http://kphenix.smugmug.com/gallery/4152228/1/242374133#242373199

:borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg:

Attachments

• jacket 71.jpg
    jacket 71.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 205
Very ingenius. :hail:

How much time and money invested? I always break down my projects to how much I can earn in an off-duty job vs my material costs and time.

Very ingenius. :hail:

How much time and money invested? I always break down my projects to how much I can earn in an off-duty job vs my material costs and time.

Thanks!
I have a total of about $80 invested, almost half of which was for the glove controller. Most of the materials such as the ni-chrome wire and crimp connectors were purchased in much greater quantity than I needed for this project so I can still make heated socks and do repairs in the future at no additional cost. As for the time, our bakery is closed for a few days after Thanksgiving and Christmas so I had a little time on my hands. I think this is something you'd do more for the sense of accomplishment than to be cost effective. However, I figure I saved about $300 which more than paid for my otherwise frosty trip through Arkansas and Oklahoma. The heated gear actually made the January trip possible. I posted my experience here in hopes that the next guy crazy enough to try this can do it in less time and with less trial 'n error.:-)

:clap: :clap: :clap: I am taking notes. I think I am going o put this on my favorites.

Mods. Is there achance to create a DIY section where we could share tricks like this?

Here's the latest update on my homemade heated gear.
Enjoy!

New glove liners use Mechanix Wear "FastFit" gloves I found at O'Reilly Auto Parts. O'reilly also has the 2 pin SAE plugs in the trailer section.
255264092_EMQAj-L.jpg

If you're not quite ready to spring for a controller, here's a universal High/Low switch wiring diagram using a common DPDT (center off) switch. This will work on grips, gloves and socks. The stipulation is that separate hot leads must go from the switch to the left and right piece of heated gear. For example, the "Y" cord cannot be paralleled inside the jacket for this setup to work. In the Low setting the heated components are connected in a series to produce approximately 50% power. The High setting connects the two heating elements in parallel at full power. The LED indicators optional. Of course I recommend a fuse at the battery and a relay controlled by the ignition switch. A relay could also be connected to the neutral light or brake light circuit to turn off the heated gear when the bike in in neutral or when the brake is applied.
470788237_MFnsR-L.jpg

Here's another shot of the heated jacket liner. It tucks in like a t-shirt and the power supply pigtails pop right off so they don't get in the way when I do indoors.
255267202_JMsqx-L.jpg

The whole project is here:
http://kphenix.smugmug.com/gallery/4152228_eBgPS/2/255267202_JMsqx#P-1-15

Last edited:
An excellent DIY article, Ken. :clap: If only I wasn't sooo lazy... :yawn: ;-)

On my last trip to Arkansas last January I encountered temps in the low 20's and the only part that felt the cold was my feet. I'm counting down the days until my next winter ride to AR & MO and I was actually ready to spring for some Gerbings socks. NOT! They're out of stock. That put my feet to the fire to make something. Enter the heated slippers. Ok, insoles.
435036605_dwtyR-L-1.jpg

435037281_JVG6F-L.jpg

435036971_59q5k-L.jpg

435870641_BiLp5-L.jpg

They're fantastic and comfortable too. Click here for all the gory how-to details.

...I was actually ready to spring for some Gerbings socks. NOT! They're out of stock. That put my feet to the fire to make something. Enter the heated slippers. Ok, insoles.

Haha! you beat Gerbings to it. They are discontinuing their socks in favor of electric heated insoles.

Back