• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pre printed number decals

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
JohnF3 or someone else share secrets in putting them on!!

Last edited:
JohnF3 or someone las share secrets in putting them on!!

Back in the day when all number plates were flat, it was easy! Of course nothing was pre-printed back then.

Here is what I do:

Start with new or at least pristine plastic. Otherwise you will have air bubbles from any deep scratches. Make sure the plastic surface is really really clean, and no lint left over from your cleaning cloth.

I use the foaming glass cleaner in the blue can and keep the entire plastic surface, let's say we are working on the side number plate, wet the whole time.

Then I peel the background completely off and spray it with the glass cleaner too, again completely wet. This is the key. By keeping both surfaces wet you can easily move the whole decal around until it lines up perfect. Lay down the graphic/decal and slide it around until you are happy with how it lines up.

Work from the middle out to the edges with a plastic squeegee (I use the ones for applying body filler--you can get them at Auto Zone, etc. made by Bondo). A dry paper towel works good at first to smooth out the decals because it will absorb the glass cleaner liquid as you force it out from under the decal. At this point the decal is where it is going to be.

Once the glass cleaner liquid mostly forced out, I use a heat gun (be gentle or you will ruin your decal--you just want to warm up the graphic) to work out any air bubbles (again work from the center to the edge).

At this point hopefully you have a nice bubble-free graphic. If not continue to work them out to the edge or if they are really small just prick them with a pin and they will disappear. Leave the bike in the sun for a few hours and you are good to go.

I have seen experienced graphic installers just lay these down freehand but my way works really good to get everything lined up right without having to pull the decal on and off, which is where things begin to go wrong for most.

Last edited:
I'd heard that on getting it wet, guess that's how we'll go. Thanks a bunch!

If you ever take a "mini" vacation this way, we have some exploring to do!

Thanks John, got them on, I'll see in the morning if still on, lol!

Thanks John, got them on, I'll see in the morning if still on, lol!

Once it dries, the adhesive will stick just as good as a dry install. If it lifts anywhere on the edges, a little heat applied and it will stick right back down.

Glad you got it.

Back