• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DS Advice ( KLR650, DR650SE, XR650L)

TAPnTX

Reaction score
You guys are having too much fun, so I think I may be joining you! What are the pros and cons of the above Dual Sport Bikes. If you were to buy another DS bike would it be the same brand?

Todd

If I were to buy a brand new bike it would be the XR650R and convert it to street legal. The R is set up geared towards offroad use where as the L is geared to road use. But that's just me. You need to figure out what kind of riding you are going to do and then select the bike best suited to that.

I also like the XR650R but for a just ride it and forget it bike the L would be better since the R is more of a performance engine and will need more maint. For the type of fun we had Saturday any of them will work well and the V-Strom 650 would have also been great just a little top heavy. I am thinking about finding an old air cooled XR400 and plating it. They run forever with minimum maint. and are easy to fix if they do break. The Suzuki DR 350 also fits that mold.

Hop said:
The Suzuki DR 350 also fits that mold.

That's what I have now with a 435 big bore kit in it and with a 15 tooth sprocket on the front I'm able to run 75 down the highway. Yet it is still much more dirt capable than I am.

Sleepy,

I am leaning toward that DR650SE! I have been very pleased with the new GSX-R's. Thanks for the input!!!

Todd

Screw-tappet valve adjustment is nice (DR650). DR has a small gas tank, as do the Hondas. There are aftermarket tanks though. KLR hold about 5-1/2 gallons but the trade off is that it is top heavy.

It really makes a difference what you plan to do with it. Paved and unpaved roads, I would say KLR. More technical stuff, maybe even single track, I would pick an XR650R or maybe the DR650. In terms of capability, I think the KLR is the most road oriented, the XR650L and DR650 are about the same but slightly more dirt worthy than the KLR, then the XR650R is by far the most dirt worthy of them all. If you plan on riding trails and such, all of them are big and heavy compared to any of the nice 400's available.

My opinion is that all are good, but it depends on how you want to ride them

KLR: Best on the street. Last for the dirt.
DR: A good mix of dirt and street
XR: Best for the dirt. Last for the street.

Personally, I have a soft spot for KLRs. I like them.

As you can see I have a good Street bike(s) I am looking for the Trail stuff, dirt roads. Not a Moto X'r I am too old to be jumping anything...lol I just do not want to explore Dirt Roads on one of my GSX-R'S. Thanks for the Help, I am very pleased with Suzuki so far. Happy Memorial Day!!!

Todd

well after riding all 3 of these bikes plus the drz400, I chose the klr. I have'nt been sorry. I've ridden it to Copper Canyon Mexico, and last summer to Alaska for three weeks. A lot of dirt and a lot of pavement, and a lot of fun! Hey I've always been a Honda guy [and still am] but this is a great bike,and another advantage is all the after market goodies. I have friends with all 0f these bikes and they're all good. I think you'll be happy with any of these bikes, but I think the klr offers just a little more! :rider: dirtbomb

this sorta confirms what i've been thinking all along. I'm leaning towards the XR650L. i've had great luck with my honda's and i'm leaning more towards something thats dirt oriented then street. in all reality i'm sure the KLR would do more then fine for me, but I just kinda love the look of the XR.

now, for the money to get any of them...

Nathan,

There is a nice 04 XR650L at High 5 Cycles (Al Lambs Used Bikes) has 2000 miles, and they are asking $4400 for it. It also has a Corbin Seat!!!

Todd

TAPnTX said:
Nathan,

There is a nice 04 XR650L at High 5 Cycles (Al Lambs Used Bikes) has 2000 miles, and they are asking $4400 for it. It also has a Corbin Seat!!!

Todd
man that sounds nice, but I can't even think of affording anything right now :(

I've owned all 3, (well, a KLR600, more of a dirt bike than the 650), and currently ride a DR650SE. I've given them all serious work-outs, but the XR650L received the most abuse... The KLR was my 1st 'dirt bike', and I used it soley as a woods bike - yes it can be done :) . The XR was my next woods bike, then became a desert bike when I moved to AZ. About 90% of it's 11k mi life (while I owned it) was hard off-road. I picked up the DR after I moved back to TX for use as a daily commuter and a backroad explorer, although it does see occassional off-road duty.

The KLR would be best suited for mostly commuting and backroad touring. Take it from me; radiators suck, at least on these bikes. Mine were covered in JB Weld by the time it was stolen. I was also constantly obsessing about the temps in the tight stuff; it ran hot if I wasn't moving at least 30 mph. If you think you'll want to throw it around technical stuff a bit, it can be done, but personally I'd read on...

The DR is a pretty good all-around bike. Lighter, narrower, and more nimble, and it has more suspension travel and ground clearance. The suspension is way to soft and under damped though for serious trail riding. It's better for the inseam challenged though, and is a hoot around town. Also on the downside are the difficult to get to and clean air filter, poor after marked support, 17" rear wheel, cush-drive (KLR has these same problems, except good touring aftermarket), NOISEY motor... maybe I should stop before I convince myself to sell it... ;)

The XR... Well, if you're inseam challenged it could take some getting used to around town. As a dirt bike it blows the other 2 away. It really isn't very comparable to the KLR, so the following is compared to the DR. The stock suspension is far superior to the DR. Adjustable compression and rebound, more than adequate damping, much firmer sprung, 2" more of travel and 4" more ground clearance, much easier to lighten, better power and torque where you need it (ignore the numbers), easier maintenance, more aftermarket performance goodies, 18" rear wheel with the sprocket BOLTED to the the hub... I'd say the suspension was the biggest difference though. The 1st time I took the DR off-road, I took off in the same manner that I would have on the XR, and it QUICKLY became apparent that I wasn't on the XR; at the 1st whoop the forks AND shock immediately found thier bottoms, and I was nearly tossed before I knew what happend. I rarely bottomed the XR, even off of 5'+ ledges in AZ. I nearly always felt under control, despite the speed or situation. Oh, and b-u-l-l-e-t-p-r-o-o-f.

So, if you just want to explore backroads and commute/knock around town, consider the KLR. If you want to do the same and maybe some easy paced trail riding too, and/or you have an inseam of 32" or less, you might consider the DR. If a real dirt-bike that is comfy enough to cruise the highway on is what you want, Think XRL (you won't want to spend much hwy and commuting time on the XRR). My $.02.

Last edited:
I'm the proud new owner (2 weeks) of a beautiful BRP. XR650L for those other DS owners. lol. Anyway, I think it is by far the best of both worlds, never having been on the others I can fairly say that I am biased. However, I use it as my primary transportation here in DFW and I have no problems whatsoever. I run 75 with all the traffic just fine. I'm 5'10" and 230LBS. I got it because everyone I spoke with online told me that if I was seriously considering ever riding in the dirt then the BRP was the way to go. I'm on another forum that has a lot of guys that think the 650R is a better way to go, but as far as I'm concerned it has two MAJOR drawbacks. Kick start, and Water cooled. Don't know how old you are but for me, I'm 36, the thought of having to kick start a big bore 650 is not pleasant. The water cooled is ok I guess, never owned one, but I just see it as more things to go wrong. Anyway, that's my opinion and with that and a buck you can buy a cup of coffee.

I'd like to add another option for consideration - the DL 650 V-Strom (Wee-Strom). Here's my thoughts on this option.

As has been noted by the previous posts, all 3 mentioned thumpers are capable of riding both road and off-road. Each has a particular bias, either toward pavement or towards off-road. For example, the KLR tends toward the paved end of the scale, while the DR is more dirt worthy.

Well, consider the case where someone is NOT going to ride off-road but they ARE going to be riding unpaved roads. I suggest there is a significant difference between "off-road" riding and "unpaved road" riding. I think the distinction between "off-road" and "unpaved road" is an important one to make.

If one is planning no "off-road" riding, and is instead planning only paved and unpaved riding, then the Wee-Strom seems to me to be a very viable option. It is a better paved road machine than any of the 3 thumpers and is just as capable on unpaved roads.

Conversely, if one is planning to ride "off-road" then I would not suggest the Wee-Strom as a good option.

:tab Richard, that distinction holds... some of the time ;-) Some of the "roads" are best ridden on a full blow dirt bike. Most of the stuff you have been riding out there in the Hill Country can be done on a street bike with a skilled rider. Heck, I dragged the VFR down quite a few of them. It is a question of degree though. The Strom is even MORE of a street and smooth dirt road bike than the KLR. We did some roads in Colorado that I would NOT want to take a Strom on! Heck, I was not happy on the GS, hehe. The KLR would have loved it though. A lot of the stuff we did up in Clayton could be done on a Strom, but some of it would have been extremely difficult. ALL of it was considered two track roads though. The stuff we recently did in Arkansas was also on roads, most named roads, but taking the Wee-Strom on those would have been a nightmare!

:tab To me it is a question of just what you want the bike to be capable of handling.

Good points, Scott. I generally don't think of a 2 track as being a road, since they usually aren't created and maintained by road building equipment. I think of a 2-track as being the beginning of the "off-road" spectrum, located near the easier end of it though.

Even with that said, not every place is going to have actual un-paved, public roads that are like those here in the hill country.

I firmly agree with you - it all depends on what one wants the bike to be capable of handling.

I went looking around at all the bikes, and noticed that the KLR 650 is not made in Japan. I noticed it is made in Thailand, have they always been made there. This was a used 05 model! Just for comparisons sake, side by side views, the other 2 bikes are way better quality than the KLR. Other that the CAM CHAIN TENSIONER ("Doo Hickey") are there other problems that the KLR's have?

They're ugly :nana:

just kidding, I haven't seen "pretty" DS bike yet, the point is completely functional so they don't look pretty.

The doohickey is the one faulty part on the KLR. There are no other faulty parts that I know of.

There are, however, known weaknesses - i.e. things that are not as strong or functional as we would like them to be. For example, the shift lever is not particularly strong on the KLR and seems to be more prone to breakage than shift levers on the other thumpers. Almost all the known weaknesses have aftermarket replacements.

I don't know enough about the other thumper choices to compare weaknesses across the spectrum. I suspect all the bikes have strong and weak points but can't tell you what they all might be.

The DR has the infamous starter gear "grenade" (I believe '98-'99 models only) and the leaking base gasket issue (it sucks). The carbs suck.

I never had any issues with my heavily abused XR, but they are known to have potential (though still rare) issues with the CDI (easy fix), countershaft seal (easy fix), and loosening balancer (no easy fix, but won't harm the bike... just vibrates like a KTM :) )

TAPnTX said:
I went looking around at all the bikes, and noticed that the KLR 650 is not made in Japan. I noticed it is made in Thailand, have they always been made there. This was a used 05 model! Just for comparisons sake, side by side views, the other 2 bikes are way better quality than the KLR. Other that the CAM CHAIN TENSIONER ("Doo Hickey") are there other problems that the KLR's have?

I believe manufacturing was switched from Japan to Thailand at the end of 2001. I have a 2001 KLR650 and it says Made in Japan. I don't think there were any QC issues with the switch as most parts are probably still made in Japan, only assembled elsewhere.

BTW, there is a lot of good info here for anyone considering a KLR: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

My 02 KLR was made in Thailand and it is grossly defective... It seems no matter how hard I try, it refuses to stay upright :scratch: :trust:

Tourmeister said:
My 02 KLR was made in Thailand and it is grossly defective... It seems no matter how hard I try, it refuses to stay upright :scratch: :trust:
Yeah my KLR has a defective left rear turn signal:lol2: I replace it, it breaks, I replace it it breaks.:doh:

Back