• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Leaking gas from Carb. 1984 VF700

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Landureth
Howdy,
My 1984 VF700 has not been started since early Dec. (about 2 months ago). I did some maintenance: new fluids, thermostat, fuses, etc......

When I cranked it up, there is a lot of gas coming from bottom of the carb assembly.

I will tear into it again tonight to make sure I did not accidentally pull off a line. But what else could cause this? Debris clogging jets?? Stuck float?? Should I just pull the carb assembly out and just see what is going on?

It seamed to be running ok, except for all of the gas pouring on the floor...lol

Thanks in advance everyone.

Tim

Agreed. You most likely have a stuck float. When this happens, it's sometimes a good idea to pull the carbs and give them all a proper cleaning. Cheers.

If you suspect a stuck float, try tapping bowls with a screw driver handle, vibration may get it to break free.

some carbs have a O-ring around the seat of the float and when they fail it is just like a stuck float.

Agreed. You most likely have a stuck float. When this happens, it's sometimes a good idea to pull the carbs and give them all a proper cleaning. Cheers.

Agreed, it is, but if you've ever pulled the carbs on a V-4 you'll understand why that's something to be avoided, if possible.

If 'twere me, I'd shoot some B-12 in the bowl vents or open the drains and shoot 'em full via the drain tubes. ANYTHING to avoid pulling that carb bank with all that linkage!!!

And FWIW, sometimes just giving 'er a shot of Ether/Starting Fluid so she revs up right off is enough to get enough fresh fuel flowing thru to loosen things up. I do not recommend this, but I have done it, more than once, and more often than not, it works.

Last edited:
Hanging thread? Fix the carb?

Sorry for not getting back to everyone....

The "tap on it with a screwdriver handle" did the trick.

I rode to work all last week with no issues.

Thanks for all the great input and ideas!!!!!!!

Tim

Glad to hear you're going again :rider:

Sorry for not getting back to everyone....

The "tap on it with a screwdriver handle" did the trick.

I rode to work all last week with no issues.

Thanks for all the great input and ideas!!!!!!!

Tim

Ain't it great when the simplest solution is the correct one?
:clap::clap::clap:

Pump gas with Ethanol will start causing issues in a months time if left setting in a carb bowl.

Back