• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

State inspection in McKinney, TX

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Okay peeps, I recently moved to McKinney from Seattle and my 15 year old daughter is getting her bike license, she has ridden motorcycles since she was 7. I am getting her CRF250X road legal and we (My wife, daughter and myself) will take a 3 week off-road riding holiday in June (Utah, Colorado & New Mexico). I need to get a state inspection of the CRF so that I can get it registered for use on the road (I have an off-road title) for the bike. I wondered if anyone could suggest a station in the McKinney area that knows what they are doing for testing dual sport bikes. In Austin, they just wanted that all the lights work and everything was safe, in Seattle they wanted that the front brake line had DOT markings on it, so I want to know if anyone has used a station in McKinney to do this and if they want the brake line changed? Also is a yellow slip still required? Most inspection stations no longer seem to issue these but I thought it was needed to get an off-road title converted to an on-road title? The bike will have DOT legal tires and all electrics, but I don't want to change the front brake line unless I really have to (Just being lazy!!) and if the shop expects the brake light to work from both the front and rear brake pedals (Texas law states and/or and the Baja kit only operates from the rear brake system. I can run a second wire and fit a switch to the front brake system if the station really wants this (I don't want to argue with the inspector as this never finishes well)).
I welcome all feedback and suggestions. The bike should be ready for the state inspection in a week or so, need to order the new tires and finish the electrics.

Thanks Gary

The requirements are statewide. Basically, it's brakes / lights / horn / mirrors / brake lights. Turn signals aren't required, so don't sweat it if you don't have them.

Thanks Tim, I know it should be standard, but I also know it isn't, as mentioned some stations want the brake lights to work from both front & rear brakes, others accept it only has to work of one brake (as the law states!!), some places want DOT approved Brake lines, others don't. As I am new to the McKinney area, I don't know of any motorcycle inspection sites, so just wanted to see if anyone could share any recommendations.

Regards Gary

Gary, come see me. I can get you taken care of. Firestone 2065 N Central expy
75/380 next to Fuddruckers in front of Lowes. I'm off today but I will be in the shop the rest of the week and this weekend.

-Bryan

It used to be that inspection was required before registering a vehicle from out of state and there was a form the inspector gave you to go to the title office with; now TX has gone to a '"one sticker" system and every vehicle has to be inspected before registration. The brake line is a non-issue; the place where I have my bike inspected doesn't even check the brakes other that the ability to stop the bike when pulling into the inspection bay. Most states don't do inspections anymore, the inspection process in TX varies widely in it's thoroughness from shop to shop (in my experience), but motorcycles have less stringent requirements than autos.

Gary, come see me. I can get you taken care of. Firestone 2065 N Central expy
75/380 next to Fuddruckers in front of Lowes. I'm off today but I will be in the shop the rest of the week and this weekend.

-Bryan

Thanks Bryan, I am in Austin this week (for work) will get back Friday night, but the bike won't be ready for an inspection this weekend. I will contact you next week and sort something out. Many thanks for letting me know about your shop.

Gary

Back