• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike assembly

Reaction score
Anyone want to come to Tyler to assemble a Super Tenere? Have had issues getting the right shims and finally have everything, I hope. The assembly isn't going as planned. Just taking way too long. Anyone have any tips? I now know why the local dealer wanted $1000 to do the valve adjustment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Anyone want to come to Tyler to assemble a Super Tenere? Have had issues getting the right shims and finally have everything, I hope. The assembly isn't going as planned. Just taking way too long. Anyone have any tips? I now know why the local dealer wanted $1000 to do the valve adjustment.

I feel for you.... I've seen some pictures of those things apart. I think I would have paid the $1000. Best of luck...

Dang. I just saw this, and have a small bike shop in brownsboro, about 15miles West of Tyler in Hwy 31.

If you wanted to bring it by, I can help out

I got it together, but realized that I put the wrong shim in on one of the valves. I have to take it back apart again. I am hoping to do it this weekend. I went ahead and bought the tool. It is now the most expensive tool I own. The most difficult parts of this particular job are getting the valve cover on and off with gaskets and getting the timing right because the intake cam shaft is under tension during assembly.

Yeah, it's a song and dance between the two cams and timing.

Maybe that engine is different from most, but shouldn't the exhaust cam be the one that goes in first, with no slack?

Yeah. It goes in first, but you have to take both shafts out to do anything with the exhaust side.

Yes. Figured out a way to reset it. Use a c clamp and twist the tensioner with one hand and the clamp with the other. It resets pretty easily.

Back