• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Did you get the side zip or the velcro model? I have the side zip... exiting the velcro model can make it look like you hammock is birthing a person :)

Seller said this....

The hammock was originally a bottom entry (great for keeping the mosquitoes out) that I had modded by 2QZQ from Hammock Forums. I don't recall the mod number but the mod ($50) added zippers to both sides of the hammock, allowing the bug netting to be rolled back.

I envy guys that can sleep in hammocks. They pack small and light.

We don't yet know if I can. But finding something that I can now tolerate sleeping on the ground has been hard, figured I'd give this a try before sinking $$$ into that. I still have my ground sleeping stuff if this doesn't work out and I should be able to unload this setup for at least what I paid for it.

It's been a year and I keep checking Academy for that $5 small pillow you guys recommended a few pages back.

Too hot for Texas camping for us. Leaving this week for 3 days in Arkansas.

Redundancy. Since I am taking the truck, I tend to fill it. The CT90 is already in the bed and it's the backup bike. The SL350 is getting trailered. Just off an overhaul, I feel the need to carry a backup. But I am also carrying the Stanley cook kit w butane folding stove in it, a home built coffee can/alcohol rig, and my big Coleman white gas stove. The truck always contains a sterno folding stove, wax tuna can buddy burners, charcoal, and a Coleman single burner propane stove. That's 7 ways to boil water!

I will be sleeping in a Academy cheap tent but bringing a tarp to make into a hammock. Going to set up a tarp plowpoint shelter too. That's 3 ways to sleep.

We will probably get there, decide to stay at a hotel and eat at a Whataburger. I must be losing my mind.

I envy guys that can sleep in hammocks. They pack small and light.

Don't keep the Colorado rain off you very well, though. :trust:

It's been a year and I keep checking Academy for that $5 small pillow you guys recommended a few pages back.

Too hot for Texas camping for us. Leaving this week for 3 days in Arkansas.

Redundancy. Since I am taking the truck, I tend to fill it. The CT90 is already in the bed and it's the backup bike. The SL350 is getting trailered. Just off an overhaul, I feel the need to carry a backup. But I am also carrying the Stanley cook kit w butane folding stove in it, a home built coffee can/alcohol rig, and my big Coleman white gas stove. The truck always contains a sterno folding stove, wax tuna can buddy burners, charcoal, and a Coleman single burner propane stove. That's 7 ways to boil water!

I will be sleeping in a Academy cheap tent but bringing a tarp to make into a hammock. Going to set up a tarp plowpoint shelter too. That's 3 ways to sleep.

We will probably get there, decide to stay at a hotel and eat at a Whataburger. I must be losing my mind.

I saw those Academy pillows early last year, I think. I bought one, then went back & bought a couple that I shipped to TWTers out of state. They ran out shortly after that, and I haven't seen them since. I used mine for the first time this summer in Colorado when I took my grandson to Cub Scout camp. Frankly, even after experimenting with different air pressures, I didn't find it that comfortable. I also had my trusty Thermarest pillow and relied on that instead.

I must be losing my mind.

propane stoves
alcohol stoves
solid fuel stoves
wood pellet stove
wood stoves
axes
hatchets
knives
flashlights
tents, tents, and more tents
bug nets
bug hats
more flashlights, knives, and hatchets

guess what?

the brown truck is coming tomorrow!

So join the club.

propane stoves
alcohol stoves
solid fuel stoves
wood pellet stove
wood stoves
axes
hatchets
knives
flashlights
tents, tents, and more tents
bug nets
bug hats
more flashlights, knives, and hatchets

guess what?

the brown truck is coming tomorrow!

So join the club.
you need a truck to carry this stuff!

you need a truck to carry this stuff!

Well the post I quoted was a guy taking a truck.

I think his point was (but I have been wrong several times in the past)
and I agree the more space you have to more stuff you tend to pack
even if it's not required.

Back to MC camping on the cheap when I bought my Africa Twin
I found some smallish panniers to help me with that.

Less space equals less stuff.

Trying to walk the line between minimal and comfortable.

It's been a struggle.

Well the post I quoted was a guy taking a truck.

I think his point was (but I have been wrong several times in the past)
and I agree the more space you have to more stuff you tend to pack
even if it's not required.

Back to MC camping on the cheap when I bought my Africa Twin
I found some smallish panniers to help me with that.

Less space equals less stuff.

Trying to walk the line between minimal and comfortable.

It's been a struggle.
the biggest struggle for me is redundancy. why carry two?? if in doubt, pitch the one that MAY not work. but which one is that? oh ****, take em both, or three or.........I think I need a truck.

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley

Redundancy is good. I planned on using twigs in my Silverfire stove at the Tall Texan RV Park in Gunnison about a month ago. But I brought a dozen wax filled egg carton pods just in case. Turns out it rained every day and all the twigs were soaked. I used all of the pods.

Camping still cheap on LLano at the city park. Goes up every year but still only $7.00 a night. About as cheap as it gets.

The $2 a night from a few years ago probably couldn't even pay the salaries of the nice couple who man the office. Considering that many national forest campgrounds now hover between $14 and $18 per night, $7 is still a bargain.

And this is a good time to remind all my cheapster camping friends that, if you are 62 or older, you're eligible to buy a lifetime Senior Access Pass, good at all national park, national forest, and BLM locations, among other places. You can buy a Senior Pass at National Park Service or National Forest Services offices for $10. Or, you can get one online or via mail (there's an additional $10 processing fee if you go that route). Be aware that on August 28, the price jumps from $10 to $80 - still a bargain for a lifetime pass, but definitely a bigger bite from your wallet. The Senior Access Pass cuts camping fees in half. Additionally, I have never had to pay a NPS entrance fee since I got my pass. It pays for itself pretty quickly.

Here's another money saver --- Oklahoma state parks will give you a 50% discount on their camping fees if you are over 62 years old. I use that regularly for my annual pilgrimage to Talimena State Park.

Other discount methods, or bargain campground suggestions, are welcome here.

Last edited:
Just back from cheap camping in Daisy Lake SP in Arkansas (senior discount). Used the truck to tow the bikes and the stoves. We were the only campers for two days.

$25 Academy tent withstood the thunderstorms well while leaking just a few drops at the end of the zipper.

We used 4 different stoves at least once. Details too boring to mention.

We set up a tarp as a hammock and that did work for an afternoon nap. We rode 4 hours mostly dirt (Albert Pike) and my back hurt the entire ride from that hammock.

We each took small portable electric fans for the tents.

Camping can be cheap and fun at the same time. Consider talking the bikes in back of a pickup or in a trailer and setting up a base camp.

Just back from cheap camping in Daisy Lake SP in Arkansas (senior discount). Used the truck to tow the bikes and the stoves. We were the only campers for two days.

$25 Academy tent withstood the thunderstorms well while leaking just a few drops at the end of the zipper.

We used 4 different stoves at least once. Details too boring to mention.

We set up a tarp as a hammock and that did work for an afternoon nap. We rode 4 hours mostly dirt (Albert Pike) and my back hurt the entire ride from that hammock.

We each took small portable electric fans for the tents.

Camping can be cheap and fun at the same time. Consider talking the bikes in back of a pickup or in a trailer and setting up a base camp.[/QUOTE

Last edited:
...Considering that many national forest campgrounds now hover between $14 and $18 per night, $7 is still a bargain...

If you're in a NF why go to a campground? Free dispersed primitive camping for stays up to 14 days. Want to stay longer just move to another spot. Most NFs even have pit toilets or porta potties provided. No water though, purchase with the daily fee money you save and pack it in.

Last edited:
Thanks to Tim I have sent in my application for a National Parks forever pass ($20). You guys who are 62+ have until the end of the week before it goes up. It just has to be postmarked this month.

Rain in the area so I just went outside and cooked 2 eggs two times. Testing this combo and perfectly happy with the results:

Boy Scout aluminum mess kit
Pam
old style Sterno stove
Sterno canned fuel

The eggs cooked in about 5 or 6 minutes. The combo of Pam and the lower cooking temp of Sterno made this super easy to clean without any soot, scrubbing, or soaking.

The same eggs cooked over my single burner propane or pocket butane mix stoves would have been much hotter, much quicker to cook, and burned the eggs and made it much longer to clean. The alcohol stove has all these negatives and would soot while cooking eggs.

This is definitely a cheap combo and the fail is boiling water takes forever.

Testing this was just an excuse to get out on the patio while it rained.

35985027584_c83edaa385_z.jpg

Thanks to Tim I have sent in my application for a National
Testing this was just an excuse to get out on the patio while it rained.[/IMG]
Rain or no, 74F in DFW in August you need to find yourself outdoors, good job.

If you're in a NF why go to a campground? Free dispersed primitive camping for stays up to 14 days. Want to stay longer just move to another spot. Most NFs even have pit toilets or porta potties provided. No water though, purchase with the daily fee money you save and pack it in.

That's a personal choice. I've spotted lots of "informal" campgrounds along forest roads over the years. I don't think I've ever seen one with a toilet. So it really depends on what your priorities and comfort level.

Dispersed camping is generally allowed in NF areas; you do have to pay careful attention to local postings to be sure you're not in a no-camping area, or even on private property that backs up to NF land.
Advantages are:
- You're likely all by yourself. No nosy or noisy campground neighbors.
- You can pitch a tent, or pee for that matter, wherever you want.
- No pesky campground hosts.
- It's free!!!!!!!!!!
Disadvantages are:
- No amenities. No outhouse, no toilet paper, no toilet, no water.
- If you need help for a dead battery or whatever, you may be out of luck.
- Nobody to watch while you're out & about. Your camp site is an easy target for local thieves.

Official NF campgrounds have been around for a long time. Many were originally built as work camps during the Great Depression, by such groups as the CCC. They are historic in their own right.
Advantages are:
- Most have nicely laid out sites, level (often gravelled) tent spaces.
- Amenities in camp. Picnic tables, outhouses (and occasionally, flushers), and usually running water.
- Great vistas! The Forest Service controls the land, so they get to pick great spots for campgrounds.
- Many have campground hosts. Hosts can be extremely helpful and, occasionally, help provide emergency service.
- Pretty safe. I've NEVER had anything stolen in a NF campground.
- Many offer reserved sites. This can be a lifesaver when you know you have to arrive on a weekend.
Disadvantages are:
- They're not free. Nightly fees run anywhere from $5 to $22, depending on the campground.
- Occasionally, campground hosts are pesky and a bit authoritarian.
- Most are now run by concessionaires. Before Mem'l Day and after Labor Day, most are closed with a locked gate.
- They can be darned crowded, especially around holidays.

Here's a tip about water in Colorado campgrounds. Colorado's water board has recently gotten extremely persnickety, and has forced the National Forest Service to shut down water in some campgrounds. Given the expense of drilling new wells, they've simply become "dry camps." So call ahead & talk to the local FS office; they will give you details about campgrounds in their areas.

If you prefer free camping, there are some websites that post suggested areas. In my experience, they're not all that reliable. This one is pretty good:
https://freecampsites.net
You can also call a local FS office. They're manned by extremely friendly and helpful people who will often recommend specific areas where free camping is common and even recommended.

If you prefer a formal National Forest campground, here's a great website that provides excellent, detailed information about literally thousands of NF campgrounds. Not all, but most, NF campgrounds can be found here:
www.forestcamping.com
This site is my go-to reference when I'm looking for interesting new places to park my camping trailer.

And don't think just because there is a vault toilet there at camp that there is T-P. Always bring you own. Other campers found out the hard way. We did leave a roll because it was the right thing to do.

We recently remote camped and if we would not have been reminded to bring some (thanks Tim) we would have been up a certain creek. Even on the bike I try to remember to carry at the least a partial roll.

And don't think just because there is a vault toilet there at camp that there is T-P. Always bring you own. Other campers found out the hard way. We did leave a roll because it was the right thing to do.

We recently remote camped and if we would not have been reminded to bring some (thanks Tim) we would have been up a certain creek. Even on the bike I try to remember to carry at the least a partial roll.

That'll probably be the epitaph on my headstone someday: "Loved God, loved his family, reminded Drew to bring toilet paper." :dude:

Leaving this afternoon and camping for the Harvest Classic so I started browsing images of Motorcycle camping. Came across this image and it reminded me of travelling back in the day and how simple it was. Just a sleeping bag.

b62e0938c6c520fe164c603c1bbeeaa1--motorcycle-camping-motorcycle-adventure.jpg

Back