• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WTB: campus / commuter bike

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
I know someone in growing need of a 'campus bike' for getting to/from UT Austin. Needs to be very cheap (sub $2k, ideally), close to Austin, light and easy to get around in traffic. We're thinking tw200, tx225 or similar. But, most are not that cheap or not that close, or both. Rider is + 6' tall, so grom or similar might not cut it..

So - who's got one to sell? Or to rent for the semester ?

Yeah, seen a few close to that price, but I think we're looking for something 200 lbs lighter than a klr...

Yeah, seen a few close to that price, but I think we're looking for something 200 lbs lighter than a klr...

6'+ on a TW?
circus-clipart-of-a-happy-brown-bear-riding-a-small-bicycle-by-julos-1275.jpg

Got a good running Sherpa for $2k. Licensed and tagged, sans turn signals. Rejetted and starts easy. New brake pads. Needs fork seals.

---WITGDHIGOAH---

I will make you a sweet deal on a 2002 Kawasaki Voyager 12

got a 400 Burgman with less than 7000 miles for $2500
also a clean SV650 less than 18000 miles same price

PM humanrace. He has the ticket for that type of need.

I know someone in growing need of a 'campus bike' for getting to/from UT Austin. Needs to be very cheap (sub $2k, ideally), close to Austin, light and easy to get around in traffic. We're thinking tw200, tx225 or similar. But, most are not that cheap or not that close, or both. Rider is + 6' tall, so grom or similar might not cut it..

So - who's got one to sell? Or to rent for the semester ?

I would recommend a scooter - if not going on the highway something like this would be perfect:
https://austin.craigslist.org/mcd/d/2015-red-genuine-roughhouse/6258793317.html

If short trips on the highway a BV350 or Vespa 300 would be perfect
bam: https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/vespa-2000/6259985421.html

If going on a longer highway run than that get a KLR

:trust: I happen to have a great, cheap Yamaha Vino. Runs fantastic. Cosmetics make it fit right in on campus!

https://collegestation.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2006-yamaha-vino-moped/6262770679.html

Clean title which is not yet in my name. We cleaned the carb, replaced the fuel tank, and did some basic maintenance. I'm 6'4" and 300 pounds. It pulls me around just fine and I can hit 30+ without much trouble. My son can get it to about 40 mph.

TWT price will be less than CL.

I've got a 08 crf 230 L Honda that needs a home , has a lowering link on it now but includes the factory suspension parts has tags but not current . 2500 bucks in northwest Harris county . Less than 2000 miles on it . Has a luggage rack for all those books too .

My first thought was a Burgman 400. Besides being great for the job at hand, they feel so much lighter than they are because the weight is low. Lots of secure storage under the seat for books, laptops and whatever without having to rig additional luggage. They can do interstate too. Anyhow, lots of good bikes mentioned, good luck on the bike search.

Last edited:
I have a 06 DR200 with under 1000 miles on it that I bought for my wife. It runs great. I've been asking $1600, but will come down to $1400 for a quick sale. Located in La Grange. PM me an email address and I'll send you a photo of it.

My first thought was a Burgman 400. Besides being great for the job at hand, they feel so much lighter than they are because the weight is low. Lots of secure storage under the seat for books, laptops and whatever without having to rig additional luggage. They can do interstate too. Anyhow, lots of good bikes mentioned, good luck on the bike search.

I did not recall the name of this machine, but it is what I thought would fit the need. I have no experience with them, but I heard you can haul a lot of stuff, good gas mileage and an all around awesome machine for urban commuting. I would like something like that for camping and running around state parks.
I think humanrace is selling one.

Got a Yammy TMAX 500 scooter with just over 5K miles but it comes in at $3500. Oil changed just done on it and tires in good shape.

Very good - thanks guys! Great suggestion on the scoots - and that DR200 might also be perfect. I'll have my bro follow up...

I'm selling a 2003 Kawasaki 500 Ninja. Around 12k miles. Looks cool, rides fast. Fast enough to go out of town and small and nimble around college town. It has the Givi top rack and case, custom T-Rex sliders front and rear, and new radial tires front (110) and rear(+1@140). Setup as a college bike and cheap to ride and maintain around. I had pretty much everything rebuilt and fixed including forks and brakes. The lower cowl has been recovered with aluminum plates and painted over with bedliner. It works as a "minor" skid plate so that going over rough surfaces does not damage or scratch the underside. HID headlight, extra LED tail light,... probably a lott more items I forgot to mention. I have a complete set of softbags (tank, tail, and saddle bags) to go with it if I could find it. I'm in a middle of a move so it is included if I could find it.

This is the bike I remanence on as I rode a Kawa ZX600R over 30 years ago in UT Austin. I could still spank the liter bikes when we go riding in the curves!

0f1e4094c1f7ff6f5f4820825560640f.jpg

Last edited:
Back