• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Steadicam Smoothie for GoPro Hero

Reaction score
First Name
Bob

Got me one of these. Works great.

Does take about an hour of practice to get it right. IMHO you have to use both hands, with a light touch.

Most common rookie error is rocking side to side, but you learn to dampen that out with your guiding hand.

This device makes a huge difference if you plan to walk around with your GoPro Hero camera.

Interesting. I wonder how much weight this is set up for? It would have to be set up for the weight of the GoPro and with attachments, I think the weight of the GoPros vary. I assume that the camera attaches to the Steadicam with a standard 1/4-20 bolt so it should work for other sports cameras as well. The weight would seem to be the only limiting factor. I wonder is you can "tune" the Steadicam to different weights?

Pat McDonald

I wonder is you can "tune" the Steadicam to different weights?

Pat McDonald

Great question Señor McDonald and I have your answer.

The mounting plate for the GoPro that seats in the device has a standard "GoPro" male end. Note that the Steadicam Smoothie is made for more than just the GoPro so for whatever device you have you can ask for the appropriate mounting plate. The GoPro mounting plate can come prepackaged or as a separate order option.

As to weight, whether or not you use a backpack, LCD monitor, black frame housing or usual plastic housing, all those weight combos are accounted for by the adjusting knobs fore/aft and left/right. You simple adjust those knobs to "center" the GoPro and from there, you can "custom tilt" the GoPro in the direction you like. Say for example, you wanted to bias the view of the GoPro downwards as you walk or conversely up at the sky, you can do this with a slight adjustment of the tilt knobs.

For this same reason you can use the Smoothie between different weight GoPro models without any problem.

Friend of mine has a Smoothie for his iPhone. Resulted in some nice shots.

Back