• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MotoGP at Circuit of the Americas

pub610

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Woodall
I've been told the state is backing away from its funding deal with Formula 1 which could keep the F1 race away from Austin. Does anyone here know the truth of that rumor and whether MotoGP in Texas is at risk?

The funding issue for F1 is not directly related to MotoGP continuing at Circuit of the Americas. The state funding was essentially to pay the astronomical "sanctioning fee" to Bernie Ecclestone. Without the state's $25 million to pay Bernie, the F1 race becomes a loser for the track. MotoGP isn't part of that funding deal, so it shouldn't be impacted. Indirectly, if the track failed, MotoGP wouldn't have a place to go, but I can't fathom the economics of a complete shutdown out there.

It's Bernie's fault

i-5rzHTKh-M.jpg

I knew Texas was funding a portion of operations at COTA but when research last year revealed the 25-30 million I was shocked. Greed and the big machine are ruining these motorsports and all involved are gouging out their share while they can.
Texas probably pays for security and local LEO support too. Keep it up and it will be gone, thanks Bernie.

I read quite a bit about this issue. Not having total recall, it went something like this. The state agreed to pay a percentage of the $$ received in addition to (I think) some small fixed amount maybe. Anyway, they announced (someone announced) revenues were dramatically down so the MotoGP $$ would be significantly less.

Something like this. Anyway, it did not appear the state was backing-out of anything, just the $$$ based on the formula simply reflected lower revenues.

This is pretty vague I know, but it is the best of memory. Did not think I would be needed total recall!!

I read quite a bit about this issue. Not having total recall, it went something like this. The state agreed to pay a percentage of the $$ received in addition to (I think) some small fixed amount maybe. Anyway, they announced (someone announced) revenues were dramatically down so the MotoGP $$ would be significantly less.

Something like this. Anyway, it did not appear the state was backing-out of anything, just the $$$ based on the formula simply reflected lower revenues.

This is pretty vague I know, but it is the best of memory. Did not think I would be needed total recall!!

Quato says he can help you remember.

4.jpg

Anyway, it did not appear the state was backing-out of anything, just the $$$ based on the formula simply reflected lower revenues.
!

Last article I saw indicated that the funding was tied to revenues, which were lower, but also indicated that the state changed the formula to calculate that figure this year, and that resulted in the smaller amount of funding being extended to the track.

Moto GP is scheduled and selling tickets. I bet F1 is done.

Good riddance! I don't want to pay for a bunch of rich spoiled brats fun.
At least Indy racing in Fort Worth was subsidized by Roger Penske and Marlboro.
If a race can't pay its own way, bye!!

^

Close but no cigar:

Read the fine print. It is a "provisional calendar"

Indy was on the 2016 MotoGP calendar....until Dorna killed it

There is no done deal until contracts are signed. TMK there is no F1 signed contract on the table for COTA for 2016

Back