• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

That's the show Texas Bucket List. They do a burger of the week segment each episode. Some of them are very interesting looking.

Hills cafe, South Congress Blvd, Austin TX.

Gristmill in New Braunfels is good too.

Went to the Pipeline Grill 10003 Spencer Hwy La Porte, TX with the Clearlake Wednesday night TWT'ers. This is a new location and we've been to the original in Baytown at 4601 Garth Rd earlier this year. As with the original, the food was really good. This being a new location, it was packed with people and the wait-staff are still in a little bit of a learning curve. Our waitress was doing her best, but was a little overwhelmed with 10 people. They have a wood fired oven to do pizza as well as standard Texas fare. A couple of us had CFS. There's a choice of cream or brown gravy. The steak was cooked just right and was a good cut of beef, no gristle or fat. Breading was thin and even. Good flavor and the cream gravy had a good flavor as well. There's a choice of 2 out of a dozen sides and it comes with a large hunk of Texas toast. I had loaded mashed potatoes (99¢ extra for chives, sour cream, and bacon bits) and a side salad with blue cheese dressing. If you like good blue cheese dressing, theirs has large chunks of blue cheese in it. The meal with tea was just over $15 without tip.

pipeline_grill_zps7nyuxio4.jpg

Looks and sounds awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Went to the Pipeline Grill 10003 Spencer Hwy La Porte, TX with the Clearlake Wednesday night TWT'ers. This is a new location and we've been to the original in Baytown at 4601 Garth Rd earlier this year. As with the original, the food was really good. This being a new location, it was packed with people and the wait-staff are still in a little bit of a learning curve. Our waitress was doing her best, but was a little overwhelmed with 10 people. They have a wood fired oven to do pizza as well as standard Texas fare. A couple of us had CFS. There's a choice of cream or brown gravy. The steak was cooked just right and was a good cut of beef, no gristle or fat. Breading was thin and even. Good flavor and the cream gravy had a good flavor as well. There's a choice of 2 out of a dozen sides and it comes with a large hunk of Texas toast. I had loaded mashed potatoes (99¢ extra for chives, sour cream, and bacon bits) and a side salad with blue cheese dressing. If you like good blue cheese dressing, theirs has large chunks of blue cheese in it. The meal with tea was just over $15 without tip.

pipeline_grill_zps7nyuxio4.jpg

Gosh that looks yummy jbird. Might stop in there next year when I head that way again.:eat:

That is a really good looking meal. They're now on the 'suspect list'.

Sorry I didn't get the salad in the photo. Unlike a lot of places I've been lately, they brought it out ahead of the meal as it should be done. The salad was very fresh and had several cherry tomatoes in it. I hadn't had anything since breakfast and it didn't stand a chance!

Sorry I didn't get the salad in the photo. Unlike a lot of places I've been lately, they brought it out ahead of the meal as it should be done. The salad was very fresh and had several cherry tomatoes in it. I hadn't had anything since breakfast and it didn't stand a chance!

The salad is always optional in a CFS thread.:-P Going to try to find a good chicken fry somewhere this weekend.

Alon Gas & Restaurant in Terlingua. Just under $11. Really good or could be that I hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast and just finished a full 8 hour day riding around in Big Bend. Steak was tender, thick, and cooked just right. Gravy tasted like good old style country gravy. I finished the steak, salad and part of the potatoes, but that's as far as I got. Their sweet ice tea is the best I've tasted at a restaurant; probably would send a diabetic into insulin shock.

cfs_zpsygtadkam.jpg

"Their sweet ice tea is the best I've tasted at a restaurant; probably would send a diabetic into insulin shock." jbird710

Sounds like they know what they are doing.:chug:

The perfect end to my Hill Country trip. CFS from Mary's in Strawn!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 198
I have no idea which CFS is best, but the best in this area of East Texas is at the Back Porch in Kilgore.

Went back to Mary's cafe in strawn. It's still a great steak. I like how the breading is a part of the steak and does not flake off. Somebody told me they cook theirs on a flat top griddle rather than a deep fryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple TWTers and I ventured east and north, across state lines and into Arkansas.

Stopped at a place called the Ozark Cafe in Jasper, Ar. http://ozarkcafe.com/

I ordered the chicken fried steak sandwich for lunch ...

0617_07_CFSJasper.jpg

The bill was under $8 IIRC and included a glass of iced tea.

It was real steak, not pounded to a second death. Hand battered and deep fried making the crust crispy but not exploding when pierced with a fork.

Came with a scoop of potato salad, laced with bacon.

Good stuff ...

Was asked if I wanted a bowl of chocolate gravy ... hmmmm ... I passed this time.

A couple TWTers and I ventured east and north, across state lines and into Arkansas.

Stopped at a place called the Ozark Cafe in Jasper, Ar. http://ozarkcafe.com/

I ordered the chicken fried steak sandwich for lunch ...

0617_07_CFSJasper.jpg

The bill was under $8 IIRC and included a glass of iced tea.

It was real steak, not pounded to a second death. Hand battered and deep fried making the crust crispy but not exploding when pierced with a fork.

Came with a scoop of potato salad, laced with bacon.

Good stuff ...

Was asked if I wanted a bowl of chocolate gravy ... hmmmm ... I passed this time.

Gonna have to try to make it out there to try one someday.:rider: Do they only serve it as a sandwich?:eat:

According to 'on line' menu, they don't even have the sandwich :rofl:

Back