• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Should I attempt Tire change myself?

Reaction score
Just need some advice ... because my rational decision making is frequently better in hindsight.

I intend to use my Husqvarna 630 supermoto as an adventure bike so I have bought some enduro tires to put on the 'street' rims. I know this isn't ideal, but I don't want to purchase another set of rims.

I can get a professional to make the tire change for me, for $140.

I'm trying to decide if should attempt this change myself ... mainly for the reason that I may need to fix a flat one day, while in the middle of nowhere, so I may need to better understand what I'm getting into.

I've changed many bicycle tires, but I don't recall ever changing a motorcycle tire. IF I did it would have been on a small dirt bike 40 years ago.
I've also heard that breaking the bead on a supermoto rim can be a pain - so I don't think this is an easy job.
I'll also need to buy some tire levers, but I planned on getting some anyway.

If any of you have any advice or past experience with this, I'm all ears.

Thanks!!!

1996 bmw r1100rt no turn signals

Don't know what it is battery is good bulbs good I saw something about probable kickstand issues but mine is dead bike starts with kick stand down does any one have an idea ! Also almost had a stroke I went to a BMW bike dealership to have them put on two tires I already had the rims off the bike and the price they quoted me was $275 I looked at them like are you kidding that's what the tires went for themselves I was just in shock for like three or four minutes and I just picked up the tires and left they have to be out of their minds

:tab You definitely NEED to learn how to do it yourself. It is NOT a big deal. You will need a few tire irons. I like using three, but some folks get by with two or even one. Breaking the bead is not a huge deal. If you want, there are even tools you can get to do that if you don't weigh enough to just use the heel of your boot to break it free. There are tons of great "How To" videos on YouTube for changing tires. It might seem intimidating, but it is not as hard as you might think. Being able to do it ONLY with the tools you will be carrying on the bike is important. After all, like you said, you might be out in the middle of nowhere and those will be the only tools you have to use.

:tab A cheap plastic table cloth cut or folded to about 4' X 4' is nice to have. It makes for a relatively clean working area on the ground. Motion Pro makes a lot of good tire changing stuff. My favorite tool is the stem puller. This fits through the hole in the rim and you thread the end into the valve stem. It lets you pull the stem back through the rim so you aren't trying to cram your hand down inside the tire while trying to line the stem up with the hole. One end has a handle, then there is cable in the middle, and the other end has the part that screws into the stem. VERY handy!

:tab You will also need a way to inflate the tire. You can use a bicycle pump, which is reliable but slow. You can use CO2 bottles, which take up space and once empty, you are done whether the tire is good to go or not. You can use a small electric pump, which is best, but also takes up space and you need to have the ability to power it from your bike. There are all manner of any of these available. I like the small electric pump myself and have a pig tail from the bike battery sticking out from under the seat so I can plug it in.

:tab Some people will SWEAR by Slime or Ride-On. These are fluids you put inside the inner tubes that are supposed to plug holes from nails/thorns. That is a big deal if you are riding in desert areas. Keep in mind though that if you do have to pull the tube, that stuff can make a serious mess if it has squirted into the inside of the tire!! This can make changing the tube and getting everything back together a real hassle. I generally don't use it. But like I said, some folks love it! Of the two, I would use Ride-On because it actually kind of dries to the inside of the tube, forming a rubber film. Slime just stays messy...

:tab Of course, you need a way to carry all this stuff. I carry two spare rear tubes and one spare front. I know there are folks that only carry one spare front and claim you can use it in the rear if needed. Good for them. I have seen that fail on numerous occasions and getting stuck out in the middle of no where isn't going to be fun. I carry at least two irons, a bead buddy (helps keep bead of tire down in center of rim while trying to lever it back on the rim), stem puller, tube patch kit, and all the tools needed to remove the wheels from the bike. I carry it all in saddle bags (Kriega Overlander 30). I have a small tank bag for little stuff.

:tab This is for the KTM 530 EXC. For my 1200 GS, I just carry those sticky tire plugging strips and my air pump.

Going through it the first time at home is much better. Not a biggy except for one thing...breaking the bead. It may or may not be an issue for you. I have struggled with this so much. I have used a big C clamp and it pushed through the tire. I used a 2x4 lever system I created and broke the 2x4. I've yet to use it but Happy Trails has a nice bead breaker from the looks of it.

Good luck!
TTR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Change the tires on a 50 first. Then yours will seem easy! :D

OMG!! This is SOOO true!! :lol2: Those small tires can be a real nightmare! The tires on my KTM are way easier!

By the way, you guys that are having issues with breaking the bead, what kind of tires are you running? And, you are breaking the bead AFTER you remove the valve core from the valve stem... right? That does make it easier. I can't recall anyone ever really having any trouble breaking the bead when fixing a flat on any of the many many rides I've done where someone got a flat :shrug: We've always been able to do it either with a boot heel from one of the "big" guys in the group :wary: or by using the kick stand of another bike. You do need to be careful about the sprocket and brake rotor though. You don't want to bend them. Find a stick or something to put under the edge of the rim on the side you are trying to break free.

OMG!! This is SOOO true!! :lol2: Those small tires can be a real nightmare! The tires on my KTM are way easier!

I'm glad we are done with fitties in this house. Odd that I was looking at this thread when the FedEx guy knocked on my door with tires for my wife's bike. Time to get rid of the OEM tires on her 2006 CRF230F.:giveup:

It is very handy to have two people when re-installing the rims into disc brakes.

Just need some advice ... because my rational decision making is frequently better in hindsight.

I intend to use my Husqvarna 630 supermoto as an adventure bike so I have bought some enduro tires to put on the 'street' rims. I know this isn't ideal, but I don't want to purchase another set of rims.

I can get a professional to make the tire change for me, for $140.

I'm trying to decide if should attempt this change myself ... mainly for the reason that I may need to fix a flat one day, while in the middle of nowhere, so I may need to better understand what I'm getting into.

I've changed many bicycle tires, but I don't recall ever changing a motorcycle tire. IF I did it would have been on a small dirt bike 40 years ago.
I've also heard that breaking the bead on a supermoto rim can be a pain - so I don't think this is an easy job.
I'll also need to buy some tire levers, but I planned on getting some anyway.

If any of you have any advice or past experience with this, I'm all ears.

Thanks!!!

Three weeks ago, I found myself in the same situation. Ordered TKC 80's for the f650. Called to see how much to mount. Ouch! I did cheat and buy an HF bead breaker, but changed both with irons and a lot of sweat. I did scuff the rims a little even using plastic between the iron and rim, but as one YouTuber said, "It's an adventure bike. Get over it!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not bad. Me and my father have KLR 650's and we just put a new set on both. We have had flats wile riding and carry tubes with us and take about 20-30 start to finish.
Might look on YouTube may find some tips to make it easy.
It's also good to know do you don't have to take it in or have it towed every time you have trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Change the tires on a 50 first. Then yours will seem easy! :D

Truer words have never been posted!

Lots of good advice. I too feel it is a valuable skill to have out on the road or trail. Trice is close and a super guy willing to help.

Last edited:
I traded out one rear flat on a crf50 with rollinj for welding on his crf450x subframe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Wow, what great responses from everyone - I really appreciate it.

I feel 100% more confident now ... at least I'll have a lot of guidance, and if my wife thinks I'm nuts then I get to blame you.

I've added the Mad Scientist Tire Academy thread to my favorites, and I should hopefully have the required tools by Saturday.

I sincerely appreciate the input, thanks so much.

I'll post a follow up - hopefully before and after pictures.

First, spend some time on youtube. You'll see some good ways to go about this. You'll also see some bad ways. Likely you'll look at the bad ways and think "Oh crap, that's exactly what I planned to do, glad my finger won't look like his!" :D

If it's any consolation, I'll be changing tires virtually right along side you this weekend, albeit about 287 miles away from you.

Make sure you've got the tires, tubes, tools, lube, and most importantly, all the words you'll need to complete this. I was in the Marines, so I am a trained expert at all the words. :D

Make sure you've got the tires, tubes, tools, lube, and most importantly, all the words you'll need to complete this. I was in the Marines, so I am a trained expert at all the words. :D

:rofl:

It is MUCH hard to change a tire when your kids are around... Trust me :lol2:

The best money I have spent (from Harbor Freight) for my bikes! It paid for itself really quickly. I modified mine to address some of the small issues that the kit has.

74c37a68-53c6-458d-bd89-db08a5586e3f_zpssj9alik4.jpg

I've got one of those, but for aforementioned reasons, I'm trying to get good, no, better, no, competent, yea, that'll work, competent at doing it the hard way. They way I might have to do it when on the side of the road. If I ever get good, then I can go back to doing dirt bike tires on the HF. FJR tires are still done on the HF and it's paid for itself MANY times over.

:tab Street tires are another matter. I used to do all my street tires on the garage floor. I had a little bead breaker and balancing stand. I used a few irons and got it done. There was usually a lot of sweat and swearing. I changed a LOT of tires this way. I now have a local friend that helps me with tires and it is MUCH easier, plus I get the added benefit of getting to kick back and visit for an hour or two after the ten minutes it takes to do the tires.

:tab If I am doing my dirt tires, I still visit my friend. However, I have had to do tire work in the field on multiple occasions. I have even had a total tire failure that required a call for recovery of the bike. A large hunk of metal just sliced the tire beyond repair. Fortunately, rather than being out in the middle of nowhere, I was not far out of town when it happened.

:tab There was a time when I was mounting new tires about every 6-8 weeks on my VFR 800s. It did not take long to pay for any tire changing equipment I bought. I gave up worrying about little scratches on the rims because I realized that taking the wheels to the dealer would not solve that problem at all :roll:

plus I get the added benefit of getting to kick back and visit for an hour or two after the ten minutes it takes to do the tires.

My wife has stopped asking "What took so long?" whenever I visit another motorcyclist to buy something off of them or anything else. Even the simplest of transactions take at least an hour of yapping. :rofl:

I gave up worrying about little scratches on the rims because I realized that taking the wheels to the dealer would not solve that problem at all :roll:
So true.

Back