• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, in addition to Peter's suggestion of Google Maps offline map downloads, I can recommend another app as a back up.

MAPS.ME is a standalone app for iOS and android that allows you to permanently download Maps for any area limited only by free space on your phone.

The maps are open source and free to download, and will stay on your phone until you delete them. It also offers searching, hotels, restaurants, highways and even dirt roads, does auto routing with voice command navigation too. Not as detailed as Google but pretty **** slick anyway.

My main nav is my Garmin276c, but the latest maps available for it are from 2013, so Google maps and Maps.me are really useful for planning and verification of a route, or when you need guidance and the Garmin maps don't show enough.

I did not have a data plan for my phone on the last trip to Mexico over Christmas so I did most of my basic route planning here at home, local route planning in Mexico on Google with Wi-Fi, and back up navigation out in the boonies with maps.me.

Hope this helps!

http://maps.me/en/home

Last edited:
I did not have a data plan for my phone on the last trip to Mexico over Christmas....

I found out last year that most phone companies have free service in Mexico. Sprint, if you have a late model smartphone (Ios or Android), offers free calling and unlimited text messaging in Mexico on a plan called Sprint One World. You have to call to set it up before you go, but it is free. You get 1 GB of data per month.

Of course in Mexico every place you go has free wifi for patrons. Normal people in Mexico can't afford a data or talk plan so they use wifi with google / skype / watsapp for free.

Good suggestions on mapping Warren. But, in my opinion, Mexico is most fun using a paper topographical map and talking to locals, LOL.

Also cricket has free text n calls to mex, n d skype in most towns works great, n make paper copies of all d sections u will b travelin which to galeana is 3 tops mayb n tapem up so they waterproof n carry d one u need in a pocket easily accessible n part of d adv is askin for directions u talk to locals n practice ur spanish, there is a twt guy who wont b mentioned by name but earlier this yr went over a cliff cuz of lookin at his gps, stop n ck instead mayb

That's an awesome answer...

edited cause we all love each other, and Centex has been with us in Mexico. (Shadman)

My apologies to both Centex and Shadman for a weak attempt at humor. I should know better that joking doesn't often come across in e-mail or blog.
I was laughing originally because I asked the same question a few years ago on ADVRider and got laughed off the thread!

Anyway, I apologize again for having to be policed and edited.

...Sprint,...offers free calling and unlimited text messaging in Mexico on a plan called Sprint One World. You have to call to set it up before you go, but it is free. You get 1 GB of data per month...

Just note that if you go over 1GB of high speed data they will bill you $15 for each additional GB. However to avoid that you can call and switch plan before going over 1GB. Their Global Roaming plan gives you unlimited 2G/3G data and texts but calls are billed 20 cents a minute. Let calls roll into your Voicemail app to listen and callback, text or message as required. This is also a worldwide plan while the Open World plan is only for Latin America.

_

Hey Guys,

Long time no ride. In fact, my last adventure ride was MexTrek in October 2009...

I'm still not riding, but I talked to The Trail Boss himself, and I plan on attending MexTrek this year, but in my truck with the goal of doing some video work to help promote Texas Adventure.

I hope to work with a few riders to do some daily runs for footage and I can run the sweep on daily rides and carry extra fuel. Of course, I know everyone tends to be rather self-sufficient, but my truck will be available to haul in or out bikes/riders/gear. I may also consider pulling my trailer.

_DSF0006-M.jpg

There is also high chance I can get a story published in the OutdoorX4 Magazine that I frequently write for (Richard, we can discuss this option further).

Hope to see yall soon!

Trailers are sometimes problematic. I'd suggest talking to JT or one of the others that goes down there a bunch. a hitch rack could be a real benefit and easier to get in and out of the country.

Trailers are sometimes problematic. I'd suggest talking to JT or one of the others that goes down there a bunch. a hitch rack could be a real benefit and easier to get in and out of the country.

Excellent point.

I don't have a hitch rack, but I'm sure someone has one I could borrow. My plan is to just bring my ramp and use the bed of the truck if necessary.

By the way, I have a 12v fridge, so the Sag Wagon will have cold beverages and snacks supplied at all times. :trust:

Hey Guys,

Long time no ride. In fact, my last adventure ride was MexTrek in October 2009...

I'm still not riding, but I talked to The Trail Boss himself, and I plan on attending MexTrek this year, but in my truck with the goal of doing some video work to help promote Texas Adventure.

I hope to work with a few riders to do some daily runs for footage and I can run the sweep on daily rides and carry extra fuel. Of course, I know everyone tends to be rather self-sufficient, but my truck will be available to haul in or out bikes/riders/gear. I may also consider pulling my trailer.

There is also high chance I can get a story published in the OutdoorX4 Magazine that I frequently write for (Richard, we can discuss this option further).

Hope to see yall soon!

That is awesome. As a 4x4 guy myself with a Taco set up in many ways similar to yours, I think you'll have a great time and we will all benefit from your being there! While we always prepare and hope nothing happens, it's been my experience that with a group this large something sometimes does, and your being there will be nothing but a huge comfort to everyone.

What a great idea - so happy you're going.

Scott is 42nd confirmed rider. FYI, These 12 "registered" riders need to make payment to complete the process...

42. MIKE N WEBNEL
43. Ken M
44. Brandon M
45. Greg Br
46. Danny B
47. John D
48. Wade R
49. David He
50. Fernando S
51. Richard L.
52. Jeremey L.
53. Joseph H
54. Frank L.

Scott, really glad you are making the trip in the big truck. Inevitably each year a bike or rider breaks down and needs a ride out. The price of a 350 mile round trip in a Mexican pickup can be surprisingly expensive, when dollars (and BMW's) are involved. Likewise, getting extra gear to Galeana is always an issue and just having 10 or 15 pounds off the bike can make all the difference.

Riders, would everyone be willing to pitch in $5 or $10 for extrication "insurance" and extra gear transport at the beginning of the trip?

Scott, really glad you are making the trip in the big truck. Inevitably each year a bike or rider breaks down and needs a ride out. The price of a 350 mile round trip in a Mexican pickup can be surprisingly expensive, when dollars (and BMW's) are involved. Likewise, getting extra gear to Galeana is always an issue and just having 10 or 15 pounds off the bike can make all the difference.

Riders, would everyone be willing to pitch in $5 or $10 for extrication "insurance" and extra gear transport at the beginning of the trip?

Yep, I've seen and been a part of those inevitabilities.

Regarding everyone pitching in, that scenario won't be necessary. I've been helped by many a member here over the last 15 years or so, so consider paying it back/forward. If someone needs help and they feel recompense is necessary... dinner and beer are all I'd need.

I'll commit to a small amount of bed space for gear carrying, but only for gear that can otherwise be carried on their bike. I'll define the available space once it gets closer. I will also have a decent array of metric tools in my vehicle.

Needless to say... I'm excited.

Wow 54 + riders, all d shirts will need to b xxxx-large to fit everyones name, also trucks with trailers tend to attract unwanted attention, but then again 54+ riders is crazy getting some attention, also consider using multiple bridges to cross ( anzalduas, los ebanos ferry, roma, los indios, donna, progreso, pharr 1 & 2 ) and /or different groups leaving in 30 mins increments from d hotels...n peter in galeana-how many guests do d 2 hotels accommodate?

Last edited:
Wow 54 + riders, all d shirts will need to b xxxx-large to fit everyones name, also trucks with trailers tend to attract unwanted attention, but then again 54+ riders is crazy getting some attention, also consider using multiple bridges to cross ( anzalduas, los ebanos ferry, roma, los indios, donna, progreso, pharr 1 & 2 ) and /or different groups leaving in 30 mins increments from d hotels...n peter in galeana-how many guests do d 2 hotels accommodate?

Yeah, I don't really want to pull a trailer to be perfectly honest. I'll do a hitch carrier or can re-arrange the bed to carry a bike in the bed of the truck in an emergency situation.

Magdelena is fully booked by our trip. 48 beds, 32 rooms. If we have many more register I will start booking out the Hotel Jardin.

We'll split into groups of 15 for the ride. The last trip we had 30 or so and it was a wagon train. We overwhelmed lunch and gas stations, jaja. I had to become a taco chef at lunch in Montemorelos. I would suggest we split based on ability and experience into roughly these groups. I'll make sure we have an experienced Mexico ride leader for each group who knows the route.

Group A: The "traditional" group ride to Montemorelos for lunch, then Rayones, then quick 20 miles of offroad to Galeana (Peter)

Group B: The "traditional" group ride to Montemorelos for lunch, then Rayones, then Cienega Del Toro and DS Double Dragon into Galeana. 80 miles offroad. For intermediate riders capable of making good time on dirt (Rich?)

Group C: Smallest group of fastest riders with repeat Mexico experience taking the northern route through Santiago / Colla de Caballo. Split from the big group as early as China. Dawn to dusk experience. (Zeke?)

Group D: The "traditional" group ride to Montemorelos for lunch. Then street only to Galeana, unguided, but easy. For our 3 or 4 riders on street bikes and anyone who wants to avoid the 20 miles of dirt with a fully loaded bike. There is plenty of riding to do after you arrive in Galeana ~ 3pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back