TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #21
Meriden

Re: New Indian

It'll be hours before some aftermarket guy comes up with a fix for that exhaust, if someone hasn't done it already.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #22
aspr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
It'll be hours before some aftermarket guy comes up with a fix for that exhaust, if someone hasn't done it already.
I'm sure it's already done. Most aftermarket companies get plans or a bike early to make parts for it. You know roland sands has to have one by now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #23
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspr View Post
I'm sure it's already done. Most aftermarket companies get plans or a bike early to make parts for it. You know roland sands has to have one by now.

And this is why auto and bike manufacturers are missing the boat.

They offer a bike to the general public, the public buys it and then spends thousands on farkles. Why would are these manufacturers leaving that money on the table?

Automakers have started moving that direction, though with decent looking wheels and good sounding stereos. Those two were the first things a new owner "fixed".

The MC industry would be in a better place if they designed a better saddle, plug and play electric gadgets and ergonomics for the target audience. Granted, some movement this direction is in play. But the industry is lining the pockets of an aftermarket industry.

Another example is the liquid cooled dirt bike I just purchased. The cases and radiators are vulnerable to falls. It's a dirt bike ... I will fall. Why not include some sort of case saver cover and bracing around the radiators and add a couple hundred to the price instead of giving that revenue to the aftermarket?

BTW ... I think the triple exhaust looks bad-*** as does Ms. Loren's ... hair.

Last edited by mitchntx; 10-02-2018 at 11:55 AM.
mitchntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #24
aspr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
And this is why auto and bike manufacturers are missing the boat.

They offer a bike to the general public, the public buys it and then spends thousands on farkles. Why would are these manufacturers leaving that money on the table?

Automakers have started moving that direction, though with decent looking wheels and good sounding stereos. Those two were the first things a new owner "fixed".

The MC industry would be in a better place if they designed a better saddle, plug and play electric gadgets and ergonomics for the target audience. Granted, some movement this direction is in play. But the industry is lining the pockets of an aftermarket industry.

Another example is the liquid cooled dirt bike I just purchased. The cases and radiators are vulnerable to falls. It's a dirt bike ... I will fall. Why not include some sort of case saver cover and bracing around the radiators and add a couple hundred to the price instead of giving that revenue to the aftermarket?

BTW ... I think the triple exhaust looks bad-*** as does Ms. Loren's ... hair.
I think alot of manufacturers chose to support the aftermarket. Some people chose their vehicles based on what they can add, not what comes from the factory.

As for the dirtbike, that's them supporting their dealers. Creating a need for repairs and parts.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #25
Meriden

Quote:
I think alot of manufacturers chose to support the aftermarket. Some people chose their vehicles based on what they can add, not what comes from the factory.

As for the dirtbike, that's them supporting their dealers. Creating a need for repairs and parts.

^^^ Can't be all things to all buyers.

HD got into some trouble not too long ago for offering aftermarket performance parts that effectively disqualified their fleet from an emissions standpoint, so an aftermarket provider can sell a product that the manufacturer can't. Makes you wonder how many companies quietly own some stock in their aftermarket suppliers.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #26
D.Allen

I signed up for a free one (twice) & nothing so far. Better check my spam again.
D.Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #27
budzrex

Quote:
My thought exactly High Pipes and single seat kits Operators are standing by to take your credit cards

I like it and have already signed up for a test ride and I have been getting emails since the concept bike from Indian about the possible then scheduled release.
1992 RM250
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
2005 Dodge Ram

The best times in life are often behind bars
just pick horizontal ones
budzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #28
Rdslvr04

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzrex View Post
My thought exactly High Pipes and single seat kits Operators are standing by to take your credit cards
Single 2 sided high exhausts like those on a KTM or DUC SMR or an under bike exhaust like those on a Kawi 650 ninja or Buell lightening could really look good and clean up the back wheel and swing arm area.

Italian is only romantic to those that don't speak or understand it

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain
Rdslvr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #29
copb8
Forum Supporter

I

MUST

STOP

THINKING

OF

THIS

BIKE

I

MUST

STOP.....

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
15 KTM 500 EXC
copb8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #30
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Bart, here's more

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ws&date=100318

Yes I'm evil

It's nice
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #31
copb8
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
Bart, here's more

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ws&date=100318

Yes I'm evil

It's nice
That ain't EVEN right!

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
15 KTM 500 EXC
Old 10-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #32
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Quote:
^^^ Can't be all things to all buyers.
Absolutely ... but you can be some things.

The thought that manufacturers build with the aftermarket in mind is ludicrous. Shareholders would have CEO heads on platters for purposely and knowingly leaving profit on the table.

Maybe it is a regulatory thing about the performance side. But what about ergonomics and style?

Real, functional luggage and racks, for instance. Not as a gimme, but as an option. Wind screens, skid plates, electronics mounts ... how is it that mom and pop shops can build a business out of it, but corporations can't (won't)?

If the sales part doesn't sway you, the finance revenue off of $1000 worth of accessories purchased at the time of the bike sale and rolled into the financed purchase price should.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:25 AM   #33
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #34
Meriden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
Absolutely ... but you can be some things.

The thought that manufacturers build with the aftermarket in mind is ludicrous. Shareholders would have CEO heads on platters for purposely and knowingly leaving profit on the table.

Maybe it is a regulatory thing about the performance side. But what about ergonomics and style?

Real, functional luggage and racks, for instance. Not as a gimme, but as an option. Wind screens, skid plates, electronics mounts ... how is it that mom and pop shops can build a business out of it, but corporations can't (won't)?

If the sales part doesn't sway you, the finance revenue off of $1000 worth of accessories purchased at the time of the bike sale and rolled into the financed purchase price should.
It's always going to be about ROI and that math is going to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, bike to bike. A lot of manufacturers do provide a wide variety of aftermarket parts and variations in styles to meet consumer desires. The GSA comes with at least three windshield options along with a lot of other accessories a buyer can add on. HD makes seven versions of the Sportster. It's not that they don't supply accessories, but where it is profitable.

As for why the aftermarket can make something and the OEM won't, that could be a lot of things. Labor agreements may make it cheaper for an aftermarket supplier to provide a product from overseas rather than the manufacturer making it in house. Sometimes the aftermarket can sell the same product across multiple manufacturers with only a minor change in mounting hardware making for economy of scale an OEM can't achieve. Touratech is an example.

It will be interesting to see if Indian can sell enough of this bike to drive a big aftermarket. I'm not in the market, but this is the first production motorcycle from an American manufacturer that I've been interested in.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #35
mitchntx
Forum Supporter

Can't deny that some manufacturers get it ... you cited 2 good examples of the manufacturer understanding their customer.

I don't think the Japanese manufacturers do ... save for Yamaha.

A manufacturer on the scale of Honda or Kawasaki could, it would seem, use their enormous, world-wide scale to source parts at a lower cost than what Jesse, Touratech, etc. could.

I quick google search shows lots of Yamaha options for the Tenere. Honda AT ... sad.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #36
aspr

https://newatlas.com/indian-ftr1200-...t-pipes/56726/

Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #37
copb8
Forum Supporter

Quote:
https://newatlas.com/indian-ftr1200-...t-pipes/56726/

Well I'm glad that's been resolved. Now for the paying for it part....

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
15 KTM 500 EXC
Old 10-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #38
aspr

Quote:
Originally Posted by copb8 View Post
Sell a kidney?

Old 10-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #39
Rdslvr04

Quote:
Originally Posted by copb8 View Post
S&S shouldn’t have bothered.
Seem like it could be fairly straight forward to have a single exhaust per side setup, though.

Italian is only romantic to those that don't speak or understand it

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain
Rdslvr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #40
Windmill

Will rain get in the exhaust of the street bike when sitting in the parking lot. Maybe has a flapper like a John Deere,
Heat shields IMO only help with pipes beside legs, but do they ever look great! Riders will jump on this bike like a duck on a June Bug. Curious what recalls it will incur the first year. Hope MCN has a test bike soon. They tell it like it is since they have no bike advertisers. Just a matter of time till the adventure model comes on scene. We have seen Harley's Porky The Pig adventure bike prototype.