TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
humanrace

Long overdue post from Big Bend

In September 2015, I went to Big Bend NP with Ray. At that time, Trump had nearly 0 chance of winning the presidency according to polls. At least 10 other republicans were running for the nomination. This bit of information will become more important later in this report. We went across the river to Boquillas Mexico in this boat.

We ate at a restaurant/bar and I started a conversation with the owner, Ventura Falcon. I asked him how he stayed in business between 911 and 2013. The boat border crossing was shut down right after the 911 incident. He told me that his customers had been mainly people crossing over illegally from the US and that nearly everyone in Boquillas had to leave because their main source of revenue was gone. This town is very remote and relies on tourists. It’s over 100 miles to a gas station. He also told me that the town would die when Trump was elected. Of course, I knew that was highly improbable and told him so. He was adamant. I offered to bet 100/1 odds.

We signed IOU notes.

Of course I lost and had to return in December of 2016 to pay my debt. I did coerce friends to go with me. The road from the park headquarters to the river is very desolate, but has a 45MPH limit. The park was nearly empty. We went 71 MPH. This ranger did not like us going 71MPH. He asked us why the high speed and I deftly slipped in the story about going to pay a debt. He gave us all a WARNING ticket.

Scenery viewed while waiting for the ranger to check us for outstanding warrants before giving us the warning ticket.

Transportation from the river to Boquillas, about a mile. The river crossing is $5. Donkey ride is $5. Bed of a pickup is $5. Walk is free. We rode.

Ventura was in town, the big one with a gas station, with his wife welcoming a new baby boy into the family. I met his sister and father and they were surprised to learn that I was there to pay my debt.

Me cheerfully giving $100 to Ventura’s father while his sister looks on.

It was very cold, but we did do a little riding. Pictures to come later.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.

Last edited by humanrace; 10-03-2018 at 05:31 PM.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
humanrace

Re: Long overdue post from Big Bend

This young man offered to show me the GIANT sand dunes if I would give him a tip. The GIANT dunes are behind him. Boy earns tip.

Me standing on top of the GIANT sand dune. Not really, this one is in New Mexico and that's my wife, not me.

Mark in his happy mood because heís so enthused because I invited him to come along. Thatís the start of Boquillas canyon in the background and Texas across the river.

Me being sad because I just paid a really stupid bet.

This was a short trip with 3 days of riding. The temperature on the second and third day was in the high 30s to the high 40s and it also rained some. This is the second day. We decided to ride Pinto Canyon Road even though we were on large street bikes. Mark turned around after about a mile of dirt. Ray and I persevered.

These goats? Sheep? were crossing the highway before we got to the dirt road.
IMG_0128 by Linda Spears, on Flickr

There were lots of them.

Some scenery along Pinto Canyon

If you decide to ride Pinto Canyon on street bikes, I suggest north to south so that the steep hills with loose gravel are going down hill. Itís just easier.

Did I mention that it was cold. We both used electrics.

Ray and I went across the bridge in Presidio to this restaurant. Mark remained warm in his motel room. And we remained envious of his warmth.

Two meals, including 20oz sodas, was less than $8 total. Unusual in a border town.

They saved money (and the environment) by recycling pallets into booth chairs.

We rode another day through Ft. Davis, around the loop and other interesting areas. It was raining. It was cold. It was also pretty. My camera stayed in the tank bag most of the time. This ride wasnít about the ride, it was about friends getting together and maintaining happy international relationships. Mission accomplished.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Yay!

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
Ocho

Fun stuff. Thanks for sharing.

2017 Versys X300 ABS
Ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
julimike54

nice!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Vec

awesome!
Vec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I am convinced that some New England bureaucratic twit that has never experienced the open spaces of places like Big Bend is responsible for that ludicrous 45 mph speed limit... If there was ever a list of rules that needed to be revised, the 45mph max limit in national parks should be at the top of that list! Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway at 45mph is sheer torture... Even 60mph in both places would be a HUGE improvement!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, youíre a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, youíre a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, youíre a moderate. If you donít want government to intervene anywhere, youíre an extremist. ó Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a Ďdismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. Ė Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction ó the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
D.Allen

These goats? Sheep? were crossing the highway before we got to the dirt road.

Those are Aoudads or Barbary sheep, an import from North Africa that is increasing in population & range in the southwest.
D.Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
aspr

I would have made that same bet!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
jredford

Nice report, thanks.

1290 SA
Ninja 300 track bike
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
Centex
Forum Supporter

Great story and report, thanks!
2001 M750
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
Baja_Bound

Loved it! Was getting the bike across at Presidio difficult? (paperwork, insurance, etc)

2009 Yamaha XT250 (me)
2004 Honda CRF250R (me)
2005 Honda CRF150 (wife)

___ gone but not forgotten ___
2004 Honda CRF50
2003 Honda XR80
1999 Honda XR400
1995 Honda XR200
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Baja_Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
Tracker

nice report. now I'm hungry for some beer and Mexican food
"Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of the tyrant and the creed of the slave."
- William Pitt
"The greater the number of laws and enactments, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao-tzu

Massey Ferguson 1020 - Old Red
Memories: Honda VLX, Triumph Speed Triple, Yamaha FZ6
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #14
humanrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Bound View Post
Loved it! Was getting the bike across at Presidio difficult? (paperwork, insurance, etc)
We used our insurance cards. The Mexican border guy asked for our titles, but we explained we hadn't planned to come across the river. He checked to see if our insurance card matched the vin number and we rode in. I doubt we could have made it past the check station.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #15
Baja_Bound

Thanks for the info. I have done MexTrek where getting the bike across took a little more prep, but I have always wondered what could be done in a quick cross for lunch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2009 Yamaha XT250 (me)
2004 Honda CRF250R (me)
2005 Honda CRF150 (wife)

___ gone but not forgotten ___
2004 Honda CRF50
2003 Honda XR80
1999 Honda XR400
1995 Honda XR200
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Baja_Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #16
h2000fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Bound View Post
Thanks for the info. I have done MexTrek where getting the bike across took a little more prep, but I have always wondered what could be done in a quick cross for lunch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I would be afraid of staying for a long lunch and a new border guard being at the crossing that was not so understanding.

Than what? Lose a bike?

Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #17
humanrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2000fb View Post
I would be afraid of staying for a long lunch and a new border guard being at the crossing that was not so understanding.

Than what? Lose a bike?
Mexican side does not stop you on the way back, just like the American side does not stop you as you head into Mexico. I've driven my truck and my bike across many times. In the '80s and '90s you didn't even have to stop on the Mexican side if you were just going to the border towns.

Last edited by humanrace; 10-06-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:49 AM   #18
Gravel Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Great story and report, thanks!
+1.

Are you doing what you are doing in the name of love?

Mark
guido calculo
NEast of Weird, Texas
Gravel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #19
jorgepinera52

Thatís awesome man. Great anecdote
That is something youíll carry forever and more then a couple of people will remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jorgepinera52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
Jack Giesecke

Good to see you're still having fun, Dennie! Did you need a passport to go over there? I haven't been since 1978.

BTW, son, get a haircut and get a real job.