• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trials Riding

[Are you] doing the bar wiggle back and forth and actually moving the bike forward a little or is it a pure non moving static balance?

_

Yeah I'm using the bar but I'm trying not to weigh it down much. It's just something to help me move back or forth or left or right. For me, the 'secret' is that I'm using my legs and trying to be on the outside of the pegs, with my knees pointed out. Ryan Young says to use the bars to move the wheel and I am doing that, but best I can explain it's only giving me about 20% of the effort. Lately I've been taking my hands off the bars altogether and trying to stay up if that helps you understand how much work I'm trying to do with my legs.

I'm not trying to nudge the bike forward or backwards. Most of the time, I've at least got the front brake locked. Seems to make it easier for me.

I was touching the tank of that 350 with my knees and using them to nudge the bike frame left or right but keeping both brakes locked at all times. I see the trials superheroes kick out sometimes and that looks very impressive to me, but I've had no luck so far. I just kick air and then go down right now.

Last edited:
Spent all afternoon working on some of the sections that gave me the most trouble at the Feb comp.

Man that really loose dirt section with roots underneath where we had to do the s-curve thing around the trees still gives me grief. I probably did it 30 times and could only remember cleaning it twice. The rest of the time I would just push the front tire forward without turning at all and mess up my line.

At first I thought I'd be berming the turns and getting to cheat but nope...which was weird but I'm ok with not cheating. Kinda got to pivot turn a little bit a couple of times by accident while trying to make the uphill turns, which was fun but never intentional. Maybe someday...

Got to roll up a ledge, roll backwards, and turn away once. It was a nice little victory ride.

I still haven't thrown the 300 at Emma yet.

Last edited:
My trials training course is 4' under water and all my built obstacles are floating around. Jonesin for some riding!

Y For me, the 'secret' is that I'm using my legs and trying to be on the outside of the pegs, with my knees pointed out. Ryan Young says to use the bars to move the wheel and I am doing that, but best I can explain it's only giving me about 20% of the effort.

When you finally lock down this advanced skill (and many others too), and look back, you'll realize that Ryan's been right from the get-go. Just about everything he says in his 1st video is legit.

I am needing a few items for my sherco, has anyone had to order brake pads and or other bike parts? I think I know RYP is the distributor for the brand for oem, but what what about things like pads, grips etc. I dont really want to pay for shipping from the UK and ebay has been a wash.

Tom Batchelor reps Sherco and he's near DFW. He set me up with my Sherco.

RYP can set you up with whatever also.

I like everything about this bike except the price. Lol

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/5576361407.html

2002 Gas Gas 280 TXT Edition 2 stroke
Excellent running condition, new internal and final silencer, great tires and includes hitch rack. $2,500

Attachments

• gas gas 280 txt.jpg
    gas gas 280 txt.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 426
yea, well they definitely dont grow on trees. You may find a cheaper one, however, it will probably be older and further away. From what i have seen, they start to sky rocket in price from 2500, the newer and prettier they are as well.

You trials training junkies looking to ride this weekend?
...the one in Jonestown on Saturday is going to be a blowout!
It's at Joe's place. He's well known in our neck of the woods for putting on one heck of a shindig.
I'll be there, trying to figure out how to ride the sections. :rofl:
FLYER:
http://www.austintrials.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/img-160615081338.pdf

And on July 3rd, another trials riding op will be in Smithville, TX.
Don't let the vintage class fool you, any trials bike can ride the sections.

http://www.austintrials.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Rd-6-MAKE-UP-@-Smithville-2016.pdf

:rider::rider::rider:

Greeting, I just found this thread. I'm going to a trials school this weekend in OK. If I like it I will be picking up a bike at the same time. I can't imagine not liking trials. Hopefully I can get the rest of the family in it as well.

Greeting, I just found this thread. I'm going to a trials school this weekend in OK. If I like it I will be picking up a bike at the same time. I can't imagine not liking trials. Hopefully I can get the rest of the family in it as well.

Well, how did you like it. And who put the school on.

Sam

I did the Luckenbach trials during the Heritage Festival. I really enjoyed it. Much like the difference I experienced when moving from Hare scrambles to enduros, being able to ride and converse with your buddies and you are not banging bars with other riders in your class in an enduro.
With Trials there is time waiting at the next section to talk to the people watching or the other riders around you. Much more a competition with yourself than with the other riders.

Tomorrow is a CTTA Trial ride out off of 1431, so I will be there. I am really enjoying this bike.

Sam

Sam --- thank you for the information on the ride. Post some pictures if you can. I will have a trials bike one day.

Planned on riding the CTTA event tomorrow, but found a problem with the bike when I was playing around on it at Emma today that I gotta fix before I ride it again :\

Hopefully it'll be ready for the next CTTA event they are so much fun and the folks have always been great to hang with between the rides

Well, how did you like it. And who put the school on.

Sam
Sorry, I don't get on forum as often as I used to. I enjoyed the class very much. Chris Johnson of Buffalo Dream Ranch put the class on. Great teacher, great food and great time. I bought the bike, 2011 gas gas Raga 300. I rode my first event yesterday which was the 4th annual cow creek event put on by ctta. Had a blast. My body hurts a bit. I need to get in better shape I guess.

Is it cool to drop in and check out the event?

Yes, I saw several people out there just walking from each stage watching the riders. No charge for non riders but you do have to sign in. It will cost you in the long run, cause you will want a another bike soon. :clap:

This ride was harder than Luckenbach, natural terrain, and better obstacles. :flip: I scored about my age in points... :giveup: For those that don't know I am well over fifty.. :doh:

I am headed to Emma Long tomorrow to ride with some of the guys from the CTTA. One said if I rode there I would definitely get better, funny that is exactly what I tell off road riders about H.F.'s. :ponder: I wonder if they see a willing blood donor in me... :lol2:

Sam

Yes, I saw several people out there just walking from each stage watching the riders. No charge for non riders but you do have to sign in. It will cost you in the long run, cause you will want a another bike soon. :clap:

This ride was harder than Luckenbach, natural terrain, and better obstacles. :flip: I scored about my age in points... :giveup: For those that don't know I am well over fifty.. :doh:

I am headed to Emma Long tomorrow to ride with some of the guys from the CTTA. One said if I rode there I would definitely get better, funny that is exactly what I tell off road riders about H.F.'s. [emoji14]onder: I wonder if they see a willing blood donor in me... [emoji38]2:

Sam
Yeah, the terrain was tough out there. It being my first ever event I found it more challenging than I had anticipated. Great group of folks out there though and beautiful country.

I am headed to Emma Long tomorrow to ride with some of the guys from the CTTA. One said if I rode there I would definitely get better, funny that is exactly what I tell off road riders about H.F.'s. :ponder: I wonder if they see a willing blood donor in me... :lol2:

Sam

Sam, I rode a trials event back in late 70's early 80's. I've since had a couple of trials bikes but no events. Might get back in it, do they still have easier novice type sections to start with?

Yes, I went to Luckenbach and told them my experience. The gentleman there said he thought I should start in the Novice and see how I liked it. My problem was not riding the sections but not going between my gates! Took 20 points doing that :doh:
At the natural terrain trials event off 1431 it was a lot harder sections, I only missed my gate once but still took lots of 5's... So it may be AWHILE before I move up to Amateur.
I had a great time and have been out to ride with them at city park once since then. I love riding the Gas Gas and am rearranging my riding area out back to work on what several of the riders said I needed to work on.
An unintended consequence is the 200 never gets out of the garage. :trust:

Sam

Back