• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barnwell

I thought they were only open @ Barnwell Friday through Sunday. The only time I've heard of it during the week is if you rent the place for an event.

Weekdays sure would be nice. My wife works retail. Sometimes she would get a Sunday Monday off and it would be nice to go ride on Monday. When we lived in Rowlett we were members at RRMT. We would often go ride during the week if I could swing a day off. The only issue was getting out of the town without the traffic. I figured out I could take an FM up to the 82 and right into Gainsville and avoid the traffic. Not an issue for weekend rides though. From Rowlett a drive to Barnwell is not a traffic issue. Takes a little longer, but you can take the back roads and its a nice drive.

Last night camping here. Great trails. Harder than Hidden Falls. Also hard to find your way around if you don't have one of the regulars with you but not imposible.
Can not say enough about the campsites, trails and facilities here. The shower this afternoon was a life saver after the hard day of riding.
I'll be back for sure. Probably will bring the bike and the jeep next time.
Thanks RG for showing us around.

Last edited:
We were there Friday and Saturday. Great weather and other than some mud it was perfect conditions. Six of us are headed back April 16th. We have 3 of the bunkhouses rented.

Man, I keep missing you all you TWTEX guys out there. Stayed home this weekend. Looking forward to hooking up with new folks out there. Will head that way soon as I sort my wife's bike issues. Running bad.

Just an FYI.... (I received this yesterday from the BM folks)

"Just a reminder that April 20th-24th the SCARR event will be held at Barnwell Mountain and the park will be closed to the public that weekend. Only registered participants of the SCARR event will be able to gain entrance to the park. You can get more details about attending this event at http://texasrovers.com"

Thanks for giving us the tour RG.

You were right, if that place was 3 hours closer I would spend a lot more time there.

We have a small group of "mature (in age)" riders going this Saturday... June 25 2016.... We are staying at a friends in Tyler ... Probably arrive about 10:30. Couple Mx bikes and a couple XR's.

Last edited:
You can rent a bunk house for 50 bucks at Barnwell. There is a grill there and the bathrooms are not far. They have showers at the bathrooms. Or you can rent a cabin for 85 I think. Has a kitchen and bathroom. There are two motels really close in Gilmer, Tx. I see trucks and trailers with bikes and SXSs parked at the hotels. Safe as about anything. Its not a super busy town, but I'd still lock my stuff up. Likely much safer (bike wise) to stay on site. You can also camp and use the bathroom.

Barnwell is about 5 or 6 miles out of east out of Gilmer, so food is close. There is a good Mexican place off the square downtown and plenty of fast food. Also a decent cafe as well. If you want good Catfish the David Baird's Catfish King is about 10 miles east of Barnwell on 155.

Wish I could join you guys. I have a pile of bike maintenance to do and a house to get squared away (just moved).

Last edited:
it was warm:giveup:

The afternoon was a great time to ride. The place is tough. Bring your light bike with Flexx Bars - your wrists will thank you later. Our XR250's were ok for the trails - and great for the hill climbs in first gear. A two stroke would be the ticket with soft suspension for all the rocky sections. A 450 would be a hand full.

See you all out there later this year.

I did the last enduro they had there on my 450exc.... it was brutal toward the end.... the 300 is not exactly set up soft, but works well there.... it can be a very challenging place. I wish some of the trails were a bit more open for the hot riding so you can get some breeze, but it's not the nature of the terrian. Rode a DR 350 for a long time... those air cooled bikes will do most anything you put in front of them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

My son and I love Barnwell. To hot for us right now. When the cool fronts start coming in and the nights start getting more confortable we'll be back.

I did the last enduro they had there on my 450exc.... it was brutal toward the end....

Was that enduro you did the 1st enduro ever put on out at barnwell, a couple yrs ago?

IF so,
I rode that enduro. I recalled it was a BEAUTIFUL day. Sunny, high in the low 80s, hardly any dust. We were on row 29, I think. Lucky for me, I was an annual member at Barnwell, so I kinda knew what the trails were like, and managed to finish. But for newcomers...it's an azzzwhooper in some spots. Be forewarned...:rofl:

Back